I'm so new.

I think it's a little bit limited, compared to the canon kit II lens...

Well i have the same view last time when i first started photography, but after awhile i shoot with all the pros i realise im so noob, so better to make research and learn from the pros before making any decision in purchasing lens, so u wont spend alot of money and makes alot of mistakes..anyway its my honest opinion and welcome to CS.:)

If it were to be me, i would buy 550D body and get a tamron 17-50 IMO..;)

agreed, i'm using 500D and tamron 17-50mm. I'm loving the combo! don't bother yourself with the kit lens.

i haven't looked up the price of 550D body, but if the 550D + tamron 17-50 is out of your budget, I'd actually recommend getting a 500D body + tamron 17-50 instead. you'll soon learn that it's not the body that counts, but the lenses. (of course, i'm comparing 500d vs 550d, not 1000d vs MkII).

agreed, i'm using 500D and tamron 17-50mm. I'm loving the combo! don't bother yourself with the kit lens.

i haven't looked up the price of 550D body, but if the 550D + tamron 17-50 is out of your budget, I'd actually recommend getting a 500D body + tamron 17-50 instead. you'll soon learn that it's not the body that counts, but the lenses. (of course, i'm comparing 500d vs 550d, not 1000d vs MkII).

so true, its the lens and not the body..:thumbsup:

is the 18-135M can get the blur effect at the back ground if we take potrait?

I think it's a little bit limited, compared to the canon kit II lens...

while it's a good walkabout lens, giving u a range of 18-135, but lenses with a wide range are known for their barrel distortion. the 17-50 tamron is so sharp, it's honestly a great lens if you wanna take photography seriously. one fantastic characteristic of it is that it can keep the aperture open at F2.8, even when it's zoomed in all the way. this allows you to take pictures in low light even when it's zoomed in. Unlike the 18-135mm, which starts at F3.5, but closes up to F5.6 when zoomed in.

With this alone, it means the tamron can take pictures faster, which will result in less handshake, allowing you to capture a sharper photo.

but i won't deny the flexibility of a wide range lens. i also use an 18-200mm Sigma, which has heavier barrel distortion than the kit lens II, but is very cheap for that kind of range. I use it for travelling, but is ridiculously difficult to take photos at 200mm without a tripod.

is the 18-135M can get the blur effect at the back ground if we take potrait?

you get a greater blur effect when the aperture is open at its widest. so zoom out all the way to 18mm and set aperture to F3.5. get as close as you can to your subject, and alakazam! - the bokeh effect

not sure if the offer is still on, but when i bought my 500D, they gave me a free 50mm prime lens which opens all the way to F1.8. Fantastic bokeh =) having a prime lens also forces you to get creative, since you don't have the flexibilty of a zoom.

How about taking a 550D, with kit II lens and with a SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD Aspherical (IF)?

How much would the SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD Aspherical (IF) cost approximately?

hi, TheNautilus LOL!!!!!!!! then u should really study hard hahaha. wow, i rem when i was 15, i doubt i received a 250 dollars gift not to mentioned 2500! hahaha! good for u then. for ur info, funan challenger is selling 550D plus 18-55 IS lens for 1299 if u PAY IN CASH. yes they always have cash option and they'll reduce the price for u. i'm not sure is that cheap enough haa... and i doubt u'll look into second hand lens rite? comfirm u'll be skeptical at this point in time. so maybe can skip that thought.

and the reason i'm msging u is because, for accessories like tripods, feel free to msg me, i have very good lobangs for tripods. its cheap and good and includes ball head with tension knob and the pricing beats all the the brands that u can find in the market. but that will be later i guess.

and haha, take note of dingaroo's comments. haha, dont go crazy into equipment but go and work on ur skills and all. i dunno if i should mention this... but for pp who are very scared of reading and learn better when there's interaction and all, maybe u can go and take up a course. some are cheap and value for money and progress slowly for like 10-12 weeks. of coz cheapest is still to borrow books and explore. but if u r toking about buying brand new books (some r not available in library though) it can get REALLY REALLY EXPENSIVE from my experience haha.

sending regards to dingaroo also haha!

have fun!

Haha, true.

But I'm so scared I get bad grades... ):

How about taking a 550D, with kit II lens and with a SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD Aspherical (IF)?

How much would the SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD Aspherical (IF) cost approximately?

Got a quote from CP about the tamron non vc selling at $628 if u pay cash...

oh ya btw, to oneluckyguy, haha u own a 17-50 tamron vc is it? are there any focusing issues with the vc model so far? i'm tinking of getting that too, but many non-vc to cut some cost though.

hi, TheNautilus LOL!!!!!!!! then u should really study hard hahaha. wow, i rem when i was 15, i doubt i received a 250 dollars gift not to mentioned 2500! hahaha! good for u then. for ur info, funan challenger is selling 550D plus 18-55 IS lens for 1299 if u PAY IN CASH. yes they always have cash option and they'll reduce the price for u. i'm not sure is that cheap enough haa... and i doubt u'll look into second hand lens rite? comfirm u'll be skeptical at this point in time. so maybe can skip that thought.

and the reason i'm msging u is because, for accessories like tripods, feel free to msg me, i have very good lobangs for tripods. its cheap and good and includes ball head with tension knob and the pricing beats all the the brands that u can find in the market. but that will be later i guess.

and haha, take note of dingaroo's comments. haha, dont go crazy into equipment but go and work on ur skills and all. i dunno if i should mention this... but for pp who are very scared of reading and learn better when there's interaction and all, maybe u can go and take up a course. some are cheap and value for money and progress slowly for like 10-12 weeks. of coz cheapest is still to borrow books and explore. but if u r toking about buying brand new books (some r not available in library though) it can get REALLY REALLY EXPENSIVE from my experience haha.

sending regards to dingaroo also haha!

have fun!

Lol, honestly, I am currently looking into the 2nd hand lenses, on our very beloved ClubSNAP forums, the WTSell sections.
And I saw this thread. Would it be a good buy? PLEASE HELP ME :O (Do you mind pm-ing me your MSN.)

Got a quote from CP about the tamron non vc selling at $628 if u pay cash...

Where's CP? It's first hand ah.

oh ya btw, to oneluckyguy, haha u own a 17-50 tamron vc is it? are there any focusing issues with the vc model so far? i'm tinking of getting that too, but many non-vc to cut some cost though.

For me non vc produce sharp images too, and at f2.8 i dont think non vc is an issue..IMO

okie... maybe i'll get one later lol. have been tinking of vc or non vc for some time. and the price difference is soooooooooooo much oh gosh LOL. a bit skeptical of the focusing issue as mentioned at some forums. but realized actually tamron allows for calibration of lenses. so should be okie. tks dude.

For me non vc produce sharp images too, and at f2.8 i dont think non vc is an issue..IMO

okie... maybe i'll get one later lol. have been tinking of vc or non vc for some time. and the price difference is soooooooooooo much oh gosh LOL. a bit skeptical of the focusing issue as mentioned at some forums. but realized actually tamron allows for calibration of lenses. so should be okie. tks dude.

No problem :thumbsup:

ooo, i'm not too sure about the market rate though, but based on the recent postings.. it seems to be alright. or maybe u should just hmm get a second hand 18-135. it'll save u some money and u can explore ur cam from then on haha. CP is at marina square and penisular.

Lol, honestly, I am currently looking into the 2nd hand lenses, on our very beloved ClubSNAP forums, the WTSell sections.
And I saw this thread. Would it be a good buy? PLEASE HELP ME :O (Do you mind pm-ing me your MSN.)

^

Hard to find 2nd hand 18-135mm leh.... the tamron 17-50mm much easier to find for 2nd hand.

hmm, no focusing issues, i'm very satisfied with it =) you're right, non-vc saves costs.. my friend uses a non-vc and he's very happy with it.

CP = Cathay Photo @ Peninsular Plaza. probably the most lao jiao camera shop in town.

sheaffey's right, the 17-50 is a fast lens and doesn't require much help from the VC. But i bought the 17-50 VC with intention of shooting my friend's wedding. this involved a very low light banquet hall and i didn't want to take the risk of ruining my friend's photos. it didn't let me down =)

while searching for this lens, i noticed that the Camera Workshop at Excelsior offered me the cheapest price. Honestly, about $150 - $200 less than what other shops were offering me. They guarantee it's first hand too. But please please, before you rush to buy it, please go and read up and find out the 'disclaimer' for yourself.