If you can only bring 1 lens out for Street-Shooting, what will it be?

If you can only bring 1 lens out for Street Shooing, what will it be?

Results are only viewable after voting.

On an FF digital, it's 35mm for me. Because it's a wide angle without the dreaded distortion of wide-angles and I like to include the surrounding to contextualise my subjects.

If I want to isolate the subject a bit, I snap on my 50mm.

No doubt about it, 35mm!!!

35mm for me too. tried and tested and approved!

50mm, coz its the only lens i have.

i oscillate between 50mm and now 35mm and soon to go back to 50mm....

i remember yesterday while waiting 3 hours at Starhub at NEX mall, i was itching
to shoot a couple of shots from my Leitz Minolta CL and 50mm Helios-103 with
a yellow filter. I exposed Kentmere 400 at 800 but developed at 1600 due to the
yellow filter.

i remember that if i raised the CL to focus to shoot, people would notice, so i sort of
put at f5.6 and 1/15 or f4 and 1/30 and ranged it approximately at the distance, and
i managed to fire off several shots.

let's see if the pictures can make it or not, i developed it for an hour in rodinal@30c.
will scan it later today.

raytoei

35mm will be much more versatile than 50mm imho. So 35mm it is. I do personally prefer a 40-42mm perspective (when I still did street more frequently I used a 28mm lens with 1.5x crop) but it isn't THAT different.

here are 3 pics from the indoor street photography with a 50mm lens.

exposed at 1600 with yellow filter.

kentmere 400 film

exposure setting was like f5.6 / 1/15 or f4 and 1/30.

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

interesting thing was... nobody noticed me...

The 28mm on a APSC sensor (e.g. RD1s) is perfect for street. Not too wide, not too tight.

after trying out various focal lengths, i am still most comfortable with 35mm

I am more on 40mm on my Summicron f2 mounted in Leica CL... That's the only lens and camera I can afford now...

18 mm ! 18 mm ! 18 mm ! Zone focussing and pictures full of impact . Not happy can crop !

High performance 35mm on a full frame. Crop when required if close in not practical.

on FF sensor I love these three focal ranges 21, 35 and 5x

Venerable 24/2.8 K series Nikkor on full frame is my street shooter of choice. If your snaps are not good enough...you are not close enough. :)

50 mm to isolate the character or the detail from the rest.

Or maybe 24mm to use DoF.