Icon Tower

FranceDude

May 15, 2006
Bordeaux
www.flickr.com
4395047844_45be54a913.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
The Framing, Exposure and Color Balance of this shot.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
First try of Night Shot without the use of a tripod. Taking a shot at the subject in a different perspective without compromising the details.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Fair night weather conditions. After seeing so many different pictures and version of the tower, I decided to take the shot.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
Ha.. you tell me..

Last edited:
I like the composition alot. I used to have a photo of Tokyo Tower look something like this. haha. As for the photo, i found it too dark in some area of the tower and doesn't shown any detail. maybe its under exposed. I'm not a pro, just a newbie here so i just mention my feeling towards this photo. heehee

Its a fundamental flaw to not use a tripod (sturdy one at the very least) for night photography of this nature but I shan't judge on the quality of the photo since what I see is only a 500 x 350 jpeg. Hardly enough to draw any meaningful conclusion.

I do feel quite uncomfortable to see the other side of the steel structure being excluded from the photo. Its too abruptly cut off and the composition feels off balanced with that bit of empty space on the bottom right. A structure of this size would have filled up the "foreground" and anchor the entire composition nicely if used appropriately.

The exposure and colours are fine I guess. Probably a B&W treatment would add to it. Worth a try.

Thanks bullseyez for taking time to appreciate my photo.

And thanks Kit for your views. Well said.. I just want to add that I took close to 30 plus shots of the Eiffel in different angles and most of it in portraits. But in landscape most of the details will be compromised. So I decided to forsake the tripod and tried to composed it landscape.

this is a cool way of looking at the eiffel, i think it's not too bad. maybe better as part of a series studying the eiffel, rather than standalone.

i would try to exclude the arch bit at the bottom, concentrate on the leg extending out to the top. if you cover the bottom you will see what i mean, starting from the innermost diagonal of the "leg". and then give the tip more space, so that you have it on the upper rightmost third.

this is a cool way of looking at the eiffel, i think it's not too bad. maybe better as part of a series studying the eiffel, rather than standalone.

i would try to exclude the arch bit at the bottom, concentrate on the leg extending out to the top. if you cover the bottom you will see what i mean, starting from the innermost diagonal of the "leg". and then give the tip more space, so that you have it on the upper rightmost third.

Hummm... Oh I get the picture.. Ok will try to cover that angle next time I visit the Eiffel again.. Thanks for your comments ;)