Iceland with SGTrekkers Feb-Mar '14

thoongeng

Jan 26, 2010
Went with SGTrekkers to this picturesque country from 28 Feb to 8 Mar 2014. We did mainly the South coast of Iceland, and a bit of the West coast.

Got to know quite a few seniors of this forum through this trip and really had a good time
Starting this thread to give an idea of the sights we saw (C&C always welcome), and hopefully spur others on this trip to post their power photos ;)

#1 - Reached Iceland in the afternoon so went to the Blue Lagoon for a 'warm up' shoot

Day 1 Grindavík - Blue Lagoon - Feb '14
by knowenoughhappy, on Flickr

#2 - After our dinner in the city we were walking back to our hotel when we saw the aurora dancing in the sky. The activity was really high and we could see the lights with our bare eyes in the city with all the light pollution. Of course everyone rushed back to the hotel to get our gear hehe.... really lucky. (not a very good foreground though =p)

Day 1 Reykjavik - Aurora Borealis - Feb '14

Day 3 - today went along South coast of Iceland, taking up the beautiful sights along the way

#6 - Skogafoss is one of the biggest waterfalls in Iceland with a width of 25m and a drop of 60m.

Day 3 Skogafoss - Mar '14

#7 - This is the church in Skogar Folk Museum, where the caretaker played some tunes for us on the piano :)

Day 3 Skogar Folk Museum - Mar '14

#8 - This was shot from behind the falls, the path here was quite slippery and some of us fell =p

Day 3 Seljalandsfoss - Mar '14

#9 - We got lucky again, forecasted activity was nil for the night. We were getting ready to take some shots of our hotel after dinner, when someone spotted the aurora activity.

Day 3 Hotel Lambafell Aurora Borealis - Mar '14

Day 4 - Still along the South coast, today the weather turned bad so did not take that many photographs

#10 - Taken in the morning when the weather was still good. Within 1 hour storm clouds took over the landscape and pelted us with snow as we rushed back to the bus ;p

Day 4 Dyrholaey Cape - Mar '14

Day 5 - reached the area around Vatnajokull National Park. However our bus broke down in the morning, luckily it was fixed in half a day.

Day 5 Fjallsarlon Glacier Lagoon - Mar '14

Day 5 Fjallsarlon Glacier Lagoon - Mar '14

#13 - The waves here were quite erratic, someone dropped and damaged his camera and lens :eek: I was lucky only got both my shoes soaked

Day 5 Jokulsarlon ice beach - Mar '14

Nice shots! Allows me to relive the experience!

[Your roommate]

Nice shots! Allows me to relive the experience!

[Your roommate]

Haha thanks for dropping by and posting after more than 6 months hiatus ;)
Do post your photos too :)

Day 6 - Our last day at the Vatnajokull National Park area. A more productive day hehe, with a nice sunset and lucky to see the Northern Lights again (our last sighting though...)

#14 - Interesting exploring an ice cave. Not as long as we wanted, but it was good that we got out early. It was raining and the stream inside was swelling such that the small footbridge we used was washed out of the cave just after we got out ;p

Day 6 Vatnajokull Ice Cave tour - Mar '14

#15 - We finally managed to get a decent sunset with the glaciers in the foreground on our 3rd evening here

Day 6 Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon sunset - Mar '14

Day 6 Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon sunset - Mar '14

#17 - Finally got an aurora sighting with a foreground in mind (we had to pay extra for the driver to drive us out because it was outside normal working hours =p)

Day 6 Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon aurora borealis - Mar '14

Very happy to see #14. Good capture of the ice cave.

Doesn't look like warm up shot at all! Thanks for sharing.

Hello, my good thoongeng ..
Your that shot of Jokulsarlon Ice Beach really takes the cake, man!
Now I know finally, what you were trying to do when you climbed on that huge chunk of ice! Kudos!

Did you guys linked up with Erez Marom for locations? He seems to know many exotic places around Iceland, but his service is too deep for my pocket.

Last edited:
Very happy to see #14. Good capture of the ice cave.

Doesn't look like warm up shot at all! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks richiemccaw1 and kohhy6!

Hello, my good thoongeng ..
Your that shot of Jokulsarlon Ice Beach really takes the cake, man!
Now I know finally, what you were trying to do when you climbed on that huge chunk of ice! Kudos!

Thanks limwhow! This thread looks boring without your power stories! Feel free to add here :)

Did you guys linked up with Erez Marom for locations? He seems to know many exotic places around Iceland, but his service is too deep for my pocket.

Didn't link up with Erez Marom, though I must admit his poisonous shots were one of the reasons why I joined this trip ;)

Just have to bookmark this thread.. for sure.

keep em coming!

Day 7 - This day we make our trip back to the capital of Iceland, Reykjavik

#18 - Hofskirkja Church was built in 1884 and is one of the last turf churches built in the old Icelandic architectural style

Day 7 Hofskirkja church - Mar '14

#19 - Weather again was erratic, raining in the day and snowing at night. This was a taken during a short period when rain stopped. The Reynisdranger rock formations are seen here slightly further out from the beach

Day 7 Reynisfjara Beach - Mar '14

#20 - Snowing in Reykjavik ;)

Day 7 Reykjavik - Mar '14