I want to learn Basic Photography with DSLR Camera - Any Instructors here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, my experience was slightly different. Started out with a pro-sumer camera, then moved on to a dslr. Got fed up with how 'easy' it was to just shoot a whole lot of shots and then pick out the better ones. Got myself a manual film camera with the standard lens and a few rolls of film. Did a lot of reading up on the internet to understand the basics of photography and how your camera works.

Master one focal length first before moving on to another.

gd luck

rf

learning from books/online is certainly possible.

however, for a total newbie, it can be daunting. jus imagine learning to drive or swim by learning from manuals.

also, its extremely easy to develop false impressions, resulting in much frustration, wasted time and effort.

i know, cus i "wasted" much $$$ on film/slides. the "break-through" only came after i met some very helpful seniors at S'pore Colour (SCPS).

those of u who had been shooting for some time will know (when browsing through books/magazines) that many complicated setups aint necessary and some seemingly straight forward shots aint as easy as they seem.

After you shoot shoot shoot ----------------------------> buy buy buy.

can try starting on online resources.. i did.. google + read up + understanding and experimentation.. a trip down to the library helps a lot i think..

or you can always keep a lookout for newbie outings / learner's outings in "gathering and events" thread.. not easy to find someone to "teach" per se.. you'll have better luck joining gatherings and outings and knowing people there who can guide and help you along..

cheers and happy shooting..

Hi

I'm also living around west, Jurong area.

If you interested, can lend you books on basic photography. Don't worry it is FOC.

So you want to fast learn. Just join in the outing organise by some of the bro's here.
Definitely they will be kindly to guide you. No worry bro. To learn from others, benefit you.
Don't be shy.

basically agree with the rest of the people here.
first started out photography by reading manuals and basically learn from a friend here. and later on exprience it myself. for myself, it totally work out just fine.

Hi

I'm also living around west, Jurong area.

If you interested, can lend you books on basic photography. Don't worry it is FOC.

That's very kind & nice of you Bro Leong23...ok sure har......then if you wanna learn how to play drums - I can share it with you also (free also).

Thank YOu

Eric

See.....there are very nice people around here who are very willing to share experiences/resources.

:thumbsup: for Leong23

See.....there are very nice people around here who are very willing to share experiences/resources.

:thumbsup: for Leong23

Yeah agree, alot of nice bros around in CS .... so lucky Leong is only staying a few blocks away from my home (walking distance) ...that's great.

eric

I leave in Jurong East. Most of my weekend I went to chinese garden to shoot.
Interesting place to develop your skill. From lendscape, bird shooting, macros and even potrait( shooting those statue).

Hi Eric,

A quick question: when a total (as in TOTAL - no music background whatsoever) newb wants to learn how to play the drums, do you start him of on learning about beats, timing etc, or hand him a pair of sticks and hit the kit?

While I am not an instructor, one of the most valuable hints (IMO) I can share with you is, (and contrary to what everyone is saying here) : Put your camera AWAY for now, and pick up a good book about understanding the basics of light.

Why? Because light forms the platform for all photography. If you don't understand light, you will always be fumbling around in the dark (pun intended)! Of course, technology and automation helps you fumble faster, but you will still fumble the moment conditions, or more specifically, light changes just that slight bit.

Once you understand light, borrow a book about the basics of photography and digital cameras.

Of course, this all sounds like it's going to take a bit of time, but it's kinda like invest 3 months now to learn the foundations and 'master' photography for the rest of your life, or go for quickies, but fumble for eternity (OK lah, not so long, but you get the drift).

All the best in your journey.

CHEERS!

P.S. I want to learn how to play the Tabla and Bongos. Can you teach me? Hehehe...

you're gonna shoot a lot on indoor and outdoor concerts is best to go with canon since they have the best noise performance around and probably a tarmon 2.8 lens to go along with it in order to focus faster in low light conditions.

photography needs a lot of time to learn you would need a minimum 2 or 3 years (if you're a fast learner) in order to get the shots right.
i took 2 years on P&S then another 2 years pro-consumer (compact) before finally moving up to entry level dslr which is another 2 years later...so far it has been a slow and comfortable process for me.
more or less like and OTOT pace for me to learn.

Bro Dream Merchant – (you are very very smart har - to put it & explain in this manner) - cheers !

No eh.hhhh I can’t play the Tabla & Bongos (but many of my Friends in the Drum Circle can) – I can introduce you to them – nice people.

The 1st-thing a Beginner drummer learn (without any Musical Background) – is to know the Basics – All the Parts of the Drum-Kits, Basic Drum Notation The Very Basic Theory in a way here) so that from here He/she will be able to read & practice Basic Beats. In Practicing the Basics – The Fundamentals of (How to sit properly, Posture, Basic Hands & Foot Techniques) will be taught here – These are the most important as it cascade into how the Drummer will develop into How Musical or Dynamical he/she will be in their progress later-on……The Basics will have to be set Right-From-The-Start. This is our Belief. Also it is from here too – that besides these Technical Part of Drumming being taught, more importantly – we learn the Ethical Part of a Drummer “It’s is about having the Right Attitude as a Drummer as a Person Towards this Art & Passion”…….Reasons: - Unlearning is the Most-Painful Exercise if the Basic is not set correctly as it will hampers future growth.

So, akin to above, “ Understanding Light” is the Basis Of Good Photography ? - Science Of Photography here , I guess you are right, cause there are also Science Of Drumming in certain area.

Er.rrrrr understanding The Basics Of Light? … seems to be a very tough topic here … must be worst than my Drumming lar … Oh God Let There Be Light ! …

So – where can I get this book. But of course how can I keep my Camera and not shoot anything for 2 to 3 months (just reading & reading) - I'm dying to shoot something nice.eeee lah.... Yaaakkkkkkkkk. Kekekeke.

Regards

Eric

For a technology we have now is easier and faster for newbie to pick-up photography.
Everything digital you shoot you don't like it you delete. And at the same time easier for you to view the shots and do post-mortem immediately.

For my case, I remember I started with and old slr (not those semi-auto) although I shoot with an expert beside me I still can't manage to shoot it right. Then you have to develop your photo before you can do post-mortem. The worst part is when your phot turn out over exposed, under exposed and off focus. It's a heart pain. You spend a lot of your money in buying roll of film and developing. That why it take years to those pioneer to master.

What I have to say here patience and consistance. Make you of the technology: shot, shoot, shoot. Delete, delete, delete. Until you happy

you're gonna shoot a lot on indoor and outdoor concerts is best to go with canon since they have the best noise performance around and probably a tarmon 2.8 lens to go along with it in order to focus faster in low light conditions.

photography needs a lot of time to learn you would need a minimum 2 or 3 years (if you're a fast learner) in order to get the shots right.
i took 2 years on P&S then another 2 years pro-consumer (compact) before finally moving up to entry level dslr which is another 2 years later...so far it has been a slow and comfortable process for me.
more or less like and OTOT pace for me to learn.

Yeah my core objective of learning how to take great pics is to - shoot - The Comming Singapore Drum Festival 2008 and Drum-Challenge (a very interseting Great Event comming this year again on a Large scale). - So I shoot Drummers ...ANd...Musician of course at Concert, Drum Clinics etc etc.

Oh.hhhhhhhh so Photography takes 2 to 3 years to be good in it. I was thinking months (How Ignorant of me)...like drumming too take years & years of hardwork & experience in it to be good at the Art. Thanks Simon this is valuable info to me...OMG I'm not going to be shooting great pictures in a few months (so sad) - but patience I must try.

What does the term "PS" and "Pro-Consumer (compact)" means here? 6 years already in photographer and you call yourself "OK-Photographer izzit" -

Hey you guys scaring me lar.

Dun need to be scared.

Some people passionately practice photography for a lifetime, and are still horrible photographers.

Some people, especially graphically trained designers etc, once (if - some of them never do and hate the photography module of their studies like crazy) they master the technicalities, tend to produce stunning work in less than 2 years.

A lot depends of how you approach learning.

Imagine a newb student in drums, if he doesn't have the discipline to learn all the things you wrote above, and get a good foundation, do you think he is capable of becoming good drummer in one or two years? Fortunately, for photography, you can practice anytime, anywhere, unlike drums! Imagine getting 'inspired' in the toilet at 3am! How to go unleash on the drum kit! LOLZ!

The basics of light is not difficult to learn. Seriously. Learning to 'see', identify and appreciate light in relation to photography is different, and could take years to learn.

Like any applied arts, photography starts off with a foundation of scientific knowledge. Even if you take something as traditional as say ... Chinese Brush Painting, the craftsman must first learn about his tools, how to make the ink, and understand the angel or the devil in his brush, and how to prepare the paper to be a messenger of his soul (artistic vision).

Only after years and years of hard work, does the artist find freedom, once he masters the technicalities of ink, brush and paper. Later, the artist or craftsman learns how to use that knowledge to create beautiful works.

Artistic or soulful development comes along the way...usually long after becoming proficient with his tools and medium. See, not so different from drumming. :bsmilie:

There are many good books at the library on understanding light for photography. Just choose one that's easy to read.

Remember - "Unlearning is the Most-Painful Exercise if the Basic is not set correctly as it will hampers future growth."

Would love to meet you and your kakis one day! I used to shoot a lot of live performances in my younger days. Even lie down on stage in front of the drum kit during a performance! Now old man liao!

P.S. I want to learn how to play the Tabla and Bongos. Can you teach me? Hehehe...

SantanaPercussionists.jpg

Laul Rekow & Karl Perazzo (Santana Percussionists) - One of the Best In The World ... Unfortunately Carlos Santana & Santana Drummer Dennis Chamber could not attend the Dinner - This was taken at Long Beach Restaurant (my Nokia Handphone Camera) - one day before their Concert in Singapore....Mohammad Noor was also there - Singapore Top Percussionists.

Cheers Bro.

PS:- Dont say old man liao - me also old man liao hahahaha - never too late to learn - sure hope to invite you to our Drum Xchange next month at Scape (Youth Park)...thks Bro

Thanks for sharing that manz!

U da one in the center?

PM me lah. Would love to hoot some performanz action again! :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.