I think i jus not good in snapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving from PNS to a DSLR usually starts with a big step backwards. :) It's normal for photos to not turn out as you expect/want and can leave you frustrated. I know I was frustrated sometimes I still am. Take your time, read more and as other say, use auto mode and see what the camera does. From there, try using the various other settings, like landscape and portrait for those scenarios and see what the camera sets the values at. From there move to P, AV and TV. Stick with it, and you'll be able to see the improvements in your shots!

Welcome Fellow Nikonian. You can always join teh D90 Users thread. That would help abit.

I gotta be fair here and highlight the following to our season-ed members here who comment:
Some newbies are hands-on inclined while some others are theory-inclined.

Fortunately for myself, i'm more technically-inclined and is able to explore the settings myself together with Google.

Maybe you can find some buddies here to meet up, that would speed up the process of understand and learning. =)

Welcome Fellow Nikonian. You can always join teh D90 Users thread. That would help abit.

I gotta be fair here and highlight the following to our season-ed members here who comment:

Fortunately for myself, i'm more technically-inclined and is able to explore the settings myself together with Google.

Maybe you can find some buddies here to meet up, that would speed up the process of understand and learning. =)

haha ok I guess must put ourselves in TS's shoes.
I always thought that going digital just speeds up the learning process so much, because you can see the results of your experimentation instantly.

yea it's good to try out by yourself

that way you learn faster

Maybe D90 is not suitable for you- perhaps G10, P80, 500D or D5000 would better build your talent. Let me know if you're selling.

Maybe D90 is not suitable for you- perhaps G10, P80, 500D or D5000 would better build your talent. Let me know if you're selling.
lol fast sia...

i think the gist of what everyone is saying, as cliche as it sounds, is not to give up, study it and practice more.

I'm super free now too!!! If any1 wants to meet to go out to shoot pm me please:) I'm also a newbie just got my cam 2 weeks ago.

What I meant is that it could be that the equipment that was incompatible with his shooting style which resulted in some horrific experiences with photography rather than the usual edifying moments that he had when he was shooting with his previous equipment.

Bad experiences may discourage him from sustaining his hobby. However, if he opens himself up for other options, he may find that some equipment could fit him and further grow his ability in his hobby.

An extreme illustration is that a person who drives a car does not know how to ride a motorcycle. Put him suddenly on a bike and the bike stay (or worse still he looses his balance and fall). If he really want to ride a bike, he probably needs to start on ground zero, discard all the 4 wheels handling style, disassociate the 4 wheel driving experiences he had and take long formal lessons before producing mediocre results.

So why the pain trying to force himself to do something when he could actually produce far better already with something simpler and so much cheaper. The motivation appeared irrational.

My advice would be to sell the junk away and get himself some cheaper and yet more useful gear. The balance money could be spent on a trip to Bali or Phuket to snap some beautiful pictures that he can do.

A hobby is meant to be enjoyable and not bring pain with disappointments.

Let us know if your're ready to off load the incompatible gear; like they always say,"One man's meat, another man's poison."

lol fast sia...

i think the gist of what everyone is saying, as cliche as it sounds, is not to give up, study it and practice more.

I'm super free now too!!! If any1 wants to meet to go out to shoot pm me please:) I'm also a newbie just got my cam 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
What I meant is that it could be that the equipment that was incompatible with his shooting style which resulted in some horrific experiences with photography rather than the usual edifying moments that he had when he was shooting with his previous equipment.

Bad experiences may discourage him from sustaining his hobby. However, if he opens himself up for other options, he may find that some equipment could fit him and further grow his ability in his hobby.

An extreme illustration is that a person who drives a car does not know how to ride a motorcycle. Put him suddenly on a bike and the bike stay (or worse still he looses his balance and fall). If he really want to ride a bike, he probably needs to start on ground zero, discard all the 4 wheels handling style, disassociate the 4 wheel driving experiences he had and take long formal lessons before producing mediocre results.

So why the pain trying to force himself to do something when he could actually produce far better already with something simpler and so much cheaper. The motivation appeared irrational.

My advice would be to sell the junk away and get himself some cheaper and yet more useful gear. The balance money could be spent on a trip to Bali or Phuket to snap some beautiful pictures that he can do.

Let us know if your're ready to off load the incompatible gear; like they always say,"One man's meat, another man's poison."

how about an alternative point ? TS hooks up with gatherings and go for those free courses by fellow CSers and then he learns something and he can benefit from it with his equipment ?
I never believe in giving up so easily after a large amount of $$ has been invested

hmm.. dun worry, i wun giv up on this hobby nor selling my D90. BTW, fyi, I know how to drive AND ride. so ur extreme illustration doesn't fit on mi. Maybe u shld try to "aim" others ppl D90 rather than mine :)

Ya. a hobby is meant to be enjoyable. of cos i enjoying snapping EVEN though my photo doesn't come out wat i expected. but, everybody goes thru this stages.

Sorry, dun meant to be rude. but then, please respect ppl hobby. I wun becos of a few "horror" photo then ditch my cam, change to ur so call "cheaper and yet more useful" camera for some trip to bali or phuket with those extra cash.

yea it's good to try out by yourself

that way you learn faster

Thanks. That how we learn. by trying out ourselves and somethi wrong, heed advice from our fellow CSer.

haha ok I guess must put ourselves in TS's shoes.
I always thought that going digital just speeds up the learning process so much, because you can see the results of your experimentation instantly.

Hi pooQy, sure no prob, i'll join that thread then find watever tips/guides/advice. and join ur guys in meet up.

BTW, I really dun mean to be rude here and bros, when i start this thread, i prepare/ready to listen to all negative comments bcos i know that the truth is not always the pleasant word. even with those negative comments, I still able to learn from all u guys. I WUN be discourage/giv up by these comments but will use it to brush up my skills and when I'm ready to show my photo, i'll post it here.

looking forward to it! You have a great cam in your hands. Use it well!

there is no hands-on without any basic understanding, anyways.

if you have no theory, you can't do anything or even try, what hands on is there to speak of? taking 30 second exposures in broad daylight? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Hi Bros here. really need ur advice.. I was very excited when i bought a D90 few days ago. been reading thru the userguide these few nights.. so today i think might as well go botanic garden to test snapping with M mode..

when i reach the water fall, I try snapping a few shot with different setting.. to my horror, it came out totally white!! my setting was M mode, shutter speed 1sec, ISO at low 1.0 to 3200, aperture at F5. using Nikkor 50mm f1.8 prime lens. then i change the shutter speed faster at 1/1000-2000, the photo was not clear at all..

bros here.. can i ask some qns, in broadday light, usually wat is your setting.. I dun wanna to lose this hobby bcos of this mistake and I really wan to learn PASM mode.

Below are the things i invest in this hobby. Hope you bros here able to enlighten mi with your skills and experience in photography.

1. Nikon D90 with 15-105mm Kit lens
2. Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-S ED VR
3. Nikkor 50mm f1.8 Prime lens
4. Raynox CM2000 set. (come with 150 and 250 marco lens)

Bros. i really really interested in shooting. but really no idea how to shoot even in broadday!!!
Bros, if u wanna mi to post my photo here for ur advice, i'll do it. but.. hope u all bare with my lousy shooting..

My advice is pls dun have the thinking that u die die must use "M" mode just because you're using a DSLR. "M" mode is useful in certain situation, but definitely not 100% of the time. Pls ignore anyone who tells you that you're not pro enough if you use anything beside "M".

And most people will still make use of the exposure indicator in the camera or some lightmeter anyway when using "M". I dun believe anyone can just look at a scene and says "ok, i will use F3.5 + 1/200s to get the perfect exposure" without any sort of equipment help.

Like many said, think you do need to read up a bit first, looking at the settings you choose at outdoor on broad daylight. The basics is not difficult to grasp though the actual application can be tricky at times.

I believe you will get the basics right very soon :thumbsup:

We've had many of those...

:eek:

TS: put away ur gear just for the time being. give yourself some time to digest the basic info. no rush.

CS is never the place to tell people that you don't know the basic. Main and ultimate answerS you will get - RTFM, Google and worst- sell off your gear. Get some friends together to the library for a friendlier approach for your fav hobby.

Actually, going to the library is a very good idea. I just went this afternoon and saw so many books to borrow. Haha!

And well, I personally read up as much as I can on the basics before getting myself a camera. I really highly recommend a visit to the library. =)

there is no hands-on without any basic understanding, anyways.

if you have no theory, you can't do anything or even try, what hands on is there to speak of? taking 30 second exposures in broad daylight? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Well, there are always some whom can pick up faster with hands-on than reading hours and hours of theory.

And of course, there are those who are so good with the theory... can memorize this kind of lighting use this kind of settings. But when comes to the actual shoot, panic like fug.

Let's admit it, there are many different types of learning processes out there. Not necessarily have to know theory 1st then hands on. Can always be other way round.

Sometimes when we comment, take a second to see from the TS's perspective. Doesn't hurt to point them in the right direction. There is never a silly question.

Well, there are always some whom can pick up faster with hands-on than reading hours and hours of theory.

And of course, there are those who are so good with the theory... can memorize this kind of lighting use this kind of settings. But when comes to the actual shoot, panic like fug.

:bsmilie:

wow, got magic settings, i also want handbook of magic settings

Status
Not open for further replies.