I suck at photography. Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same problem... I have been using my camera for more than 1 yr but still hardly can get a shot which I find it "WoW'

However, things are improving... Look photo taken by others and learn from the photo u see. You'll know how they frame their shot perfectly.

Don't worry, you are not alone. First time I go practice, took >600 shots. Out of all those shots, only one I like and it was more of an accidental kinda shot. Even on that one, I still not satisfied.

Now most of the time I trying out as many kinds of photography, night shots, star trails, fireworks, street-shots, close-ups, scenery, etc. Some of them yield more encouraging results but most of the results I think are still absolute junk, but that's ok. Important thing is I always ask myself how to make it better next time. Thing is to be happy. Maybe when I can't find room to improve, then I'll post up the pics to be further thrashed here... :bsmilie:

I find it very inspiring to see the works of others, say books from library or online galleries like those from DPR's challenges. Always makes me wanna go out and snap.
:)

Last edited:
Welcome to CS :) Its ok, we all learn from mistakes. To improve, read up more, practice more & shoot more. Compare the same photos that you've taken. From there you will see if there's any improvements. Don't just keep shooting just for the sake of shooting. Take it one step at a time. Concentrate on a subject, keep improving on that till you get it right, then move on. ;)

Last edited:
Dont worry so much dude.
go more clubsnap outing . those bro will teach you :)
my picture also suck ! :(

It's an ongoing learning process.Even though I was into photography since the early Seventies am still learning now...about digital photography,how to PP,PS etc etc.

So just keep shooting:)

Hi Everyone.

I just got my SLR in November 09. I got interested in photography after influence from my friend. Its been awhile since i started, yet i feel that my pictures have not been improving at all. I also think that my pictures are horrible. Is this normal when you start? Will you improve? I really dont know.

Dun be despair :)

It's been only two months. Just enjoy your shooting for a while and read on books regarding tips on better photography. There are many magazines which offers valuable tips and advice which you can find in bookstores. If budget permits, grab them. If not, juz read those which are not sealed :p. I always frequent bugis junction and Ngee Ann "kinokuniya".

At the end of the day, ENJOY yourself with shooting. Not STRESS yourself.

** me juz a newbie, no "calibre" for advice. juz tots ** ;)

do your old photos look good to you still?

everytime i go through my archives, i find something new to discard. :)

Hmm.. I think when I was first learning, I take a lot of bo liao pictures. If only to understand the limits of my equipments. Suspect I delete on the spot if NG.. that's why end up with a better rate of success :bsmilie: composition is so-so (gf says it sucks)

After that more happy go lucky to snap snap snap in RAW.. composition still debateable. But I know how to crop to a nicer pix using LR and PS :embrass: still, I think I spend a substantial amount of time planning for my shot.

Now am back to jpeg only photos and WYSIWYG as I don't bother PP anymore (i.e. getting lazier). I also think less about taking a shot before taking a shot though, but I think it's coz I've gotten into certain habits, so it becomes an auto part of me already. My gf says my composition is getting bit better (she's my biggest critic and also has better eyes for composing, but sucks at getting horizon straight - coz all her photos I have to re-align using LR one).

So I think I am :dunno: Or I am simply depending on luck (by taking more shots) to get that 1 in 500 pictures

Last edited:
it just keeps getting better :D

Is normal. Photography skill need time to build up. Alternative, you may consider to take some course. Im sure under the 'Workshops, Tutorials and Classes' section you can find some short course that suit you. Happy shooting and Learning.

Hi! lots of encouragement here... so don't worry. i believe most of us don't start out producing good photos right from the moment we pick up a camera.

one thing you might want to ponder more, you say your pictures are horrible. do you know why you think so? what is it about them that you dislike? (our of focus? poor colors? incorrect exposure? framing and composition? contrast? or just that there is no idea behind the shot?) i find that working on the areas that i know need improving helps.

shooting alot helps, but you have to also put thought into the shots or reviewing your shots. I think opinions from others are very helpful, just don't be discouraged when some criticism comes across strong as there are people with high standards.

dun stress yourself. take your own time to improve, keep shooting...

Now am back to jpeg only photos and WYSIWYG as I don't bother PP anymore (i.e. getting lazier). I also think less about taking a shot before taking a shot though, but I think it's coz I've gotten into certain habits, so it becomes an auto part of me already. My gf says my composition is getting bit better (she's my biggest critic and also has better eyes for composing, but sucks at getting horizon straight - coz all her photos I have to re-align using LR one).

i started having to think a lot about shots more after doing long exposure photography.

when you have to do 8 minute exposures, and your camera doesn't allow disabling of long exposure NR (i.e. another 8 minutes of waiting)... you bet i think a lot more before taking that shot. there is so much to think of, how it will look like, whether it is worth the time/pain.. whether the composition works, if i plan to crop, will it work.... is the light changing, will the exposure be enough..... :sweat:

but it's fun, and i enjoyed it. these days i click the shutter a lot less liberally.

It happens. I've been into photography for the past couple of years and the funny part is, like night86mare said, you'll only like 10-20 of your photos. Not just that, when I shoot a good photo I go Wow when i'm on location. But after I go home and look at it on the computer I'm like Nahh it's OK. After a few days I'm like What a shitty picture. After a few months I'm ashamed to show it.

Moral of the story: It's your own paranoia. Just keep shooting.

Wow...I learnt a lot juz by reading all the post to help TS..

Good luck TS! I'm sure your pictures will get nicer as you take more!

;)

It happens. I've been into photography for the past couple of years and the funny part is, like night86mare said, you'll only like 10-20 of your photos. Not just that, when I shoot a good photo I go Wow when i'm on location. But after I go home and look at it on the computer I'm like Nahh it's OK. After a few days I'm like What a shitty picture. After a few months I'm ashamed to show it.

:bsmilie: that's a good one!

most of the time the preview on the camera is really different as shown on the computer.. but i guess no one will be bringing out their laptop and download the photos once they shoot right?

That's exactly me. I just started and really need to keep shooting. Compare the photos posted online and mine, I've no face to show them...

Understanding what you are shooting......photography is a art. art is a language.......you should think before you speak, just as you should think before the every shoot.

Going out blindly and shooting non-stop don't really help you to grow.....

Setting short term, mid term and long term goal will help.

hi,

i think nobody really suck at photography ... Nobody is born into it.

if u enjoy the process ... then dun give up !

hi,

i think nobody really suck at photography ... Nobody is born into it.

if u enjoy the process ... then dun give up !

That will depend why individual take up this hobby, if one take up just to enjoy the process, then nothing wrong about that. :) It is just a hobby.

Capture the moment of truth. There is nothing that is more real than your photos no matter how good or bad it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.