I really wants to own a DSLR ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with TS statement.

Firstly, even in the past, there are those whom don't know much about photography but still bought a SLR and learn from there. Just that internet was not prevalent then it does give a perception that SLR owners knows what they are doing. (what image quality can you tell from a 4R print?) Also with forums such as CS, the benchmark of quality photographs is raised quite significantly.

Secondly, the want/need for DSLR is different when compared to flim cams. In the digital world, you need to consider image quality from the different sized sensors and they differs pretty significantly from P&S to DSLRs.

Ah, you mean no mirror flap means he cam no good ah? :cry:

no flap for dSLR smells trouble and need to go to NSC.

I have an s3 is, no flap but cam is also good. It's just different.

don't :cry: and be :)

Whether a cheap PNS or a super high end DSLR or film slr, if the lighting and subject is no good and your technique is wrong, it will all end up crapping shots. Photography is not all about equipment.

They have the right to buy a DSLR first and start to learn the basic. Even if they want to give up soon, they can sell later in CS. The online forums like CS has changed the way photographers learn and share info. We just need to adapt to the changes.

Getting a DSLR system is the way to go now as the support is everywhere and price is getting cheaper (in terms of harddisk memory/ CF cards etc)

James

I think it's the additional "P" and "Auto" dial positions that distiguishes DSLR from FSLR. You don't get these on the dial of a FSLR that obliges you to learn more about relationship of shutter speed-aperture-ISO/ASA-DOF. With the convenience of these two dial positions on a DSLR, one needs to learn about composition only to snap good photos if given good lighting.

I think it's the additional "P" and "Auto" dial positions that distiguishes DSLR from FSLR. You don't get these on the dial of a FSLR that obliges you to learn more about relationship of shutter speed-aperture-ISO/ASA-DOF. With the convenience of these two dial positions on a DSLR, one needs to learn about composition only to snap good photos if given good lighting.

"p" and "auto" is available on FSLR like Nikon F5 or EOS5. Not availble are those full manual FSLR like Fm3 etc.

How does this sound:

I am an oddball. I am a child of the digital revolution. I picked up a dSLR with zero experience. Recently I decided to shoot with film and manual cameras because I feel confident enough to not waste each valuable exposure on the roll. :)

:bsmilie: funny thread. who does what with their $$$ is entirely their own discretion...no? how can the old guard comment on the evolution of a newbie into dslr's esp since it is so affordable now and so easy to learn from mistakes...also so easy to immediately review the pic & try out a new iteration.

Hey...did we not move from manual to auto stick shifts in cars, did we not move from manual pilots in aircraft to auto pilot mode...from record players to MP3, etc etc...that's technology...embrace the changes or fossilize!! :)

after all an aged art connosieur cannot stop a newbie from buying fine good art if the newbie wants to develop his hobby or interest in fine art...ditto logic applies in this case too. who has the moral right to be the custodian of saying X "deserves" to own a DSLR and Y does not !??!? On what basis..!? Hmmm...anyways...not even an argument worthy of a discussion IMHO! :thumbsd:

Uppzzzzzz for Isaiah....for a wonderful warm & pragmatic reply! We newbies need more of such guidance givers! :thumbsup:

well i think the circumstances today are very different. SLRs in the past cost a bomb. and so it put people off buying them. but today, a nikon d40 kit goes for $800+ brand new. prices have become more affordable.

i don't think we should deride others just because they havent grasped the bascis of photography. the most we should do is to advise them against in in a nice way. we dont have to talk down to them from a moral highpoint. if they choose not to listen to us and decide to byu a DSLR, then we should accept that and give them proper advice on the types of lenses/eqpt to get instead of telling them "youre gg to regret it" etc.

:)

we dont have to talk down to them from a moral highpoint. if they choose not to listen to us and decide to byu a DSLR, then we should accept that and give them proper advice on the types of lenses/eqpt to get

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for the attitude.

Yes, I know, I've been through that and that was one of the reasons for the switch to digital. But that's not the same thing as sayign that DSLRs are cheaper than film slrs. Film SLRs for the same level are always significantly cheaper. Compare an F5 with a D1x or F6 with a D2x or F100 with a D200 and you'll see the difference.

i believe film puts ppl off.
having to fork out a few dollars to buy a roll of film, and another few bucks to develop (and view) them is quite costly for new players who are still experimenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.