I need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I just took up photography for an less that a week and is currently using a D50.
I took this picture the night when i got my first camera.

But i just cannot seems to get what i want. :cry:

Can someone please guide me here on how to get a better shot?
Is the picture over expose right?
How do i get a nice moon with the surrounding?
Picture with too much details?

dsc01047wq.jpg

Thanks a million. :bsmilie:

You can't, either you sacrifice the moon or you sacrifice the surrounding .....

Or Since you use Digital camera, take two picture and superimpose on each other :p

The dynamic range of camera is just not enough to capture details for both the surroundings and the moon. Why don't you just read around the forum as many ppl face the same problem as you to find out more.

(Dynamic range - The range of brightness with full details captured by your camera. Because the moon is very much brighter than the buildings, if you get the moon's details, you lose the surroundings to darkness and if you get the surroundings in details, your moon will be overexposed)

The easiest solution is to take one pic with moon properly exposed, another with surroundings properly exposed then combine them in photoshop.

Also consider down sizing your image for faster loading and easier viewing...

1) get a decent tripod
2) shoot at base iso (for canon this is 200, not sure abt the D50), f8-16
3) set to RAW
4) mount camera on tripod
5) shoot 5 pics with 1-stop seperation eg: 5/10/20/40/80 with f16 with the 2nd and 4th shots exposing correctly for surroundings and moon respectively.
6) Make sure camera does not change position while shooting
7) load up in Photoshop
8) after processing raws put all of them in one layer and blend to your liking

alternatively,
a) shoot one shot in raw, process it twice (+1 and -1 stops) and blend.
b) find something better to shoot lol
c) get b&w film, with its 15-stop DR confirm can expose both moon and bkgnd correctly

glhf :bsmilie:

dundee said:
1) get a decent tripod
2) shoot at base iso (for canon this is 200, not sure abt the D50), f8-16
3) set to RAW
4) mount camera on tripod
5) shoot 5 pics with 1-stop seperation eg: 5/10/20/40/80 with f16 with the 2nd and 4th shots exposing correctly for surroundings and moon respectively.
6) Make sure camera does not change position while shooting
7) load up in Photoshop
8) after processing raws put all of them in one layer and blend to your liking

alternatively,
a) shoot one shot in raw, process it twice (+1 and -1 stops) and blend.
b) find something better to shoot lol
c) get b&w film, with its 15-stop DR confirm can expose both moon and bkgnd correctly

glhf :bsmilie:

wow this mean lots of time. :eek: Which means that the moon's position will be out by the time you finish bracketing.:eek: DSLR have long processing time for long exposure and low light noise reduction. My best advise, switch to spot metering, meter for the moon, keep f stop to at least f8 or smaller eg. f/22. The rest is up to your luck as digital is far less tolerant than film in this instance.:sweat:

tommon said:
wow this mean lots of time. :eek: Which means that the moon's position will be out by the time you finish bracketing.:eek: DSLR have long processing time for long exposure and low light noise reduction. My best advise, switch to spot metering, meter for the moon, keep f stop to at least f8 or smaller eg. f/22. The rest is up to your luck as digital is far less tolerant than film in this instance.:sweat:

hehe, did the spot metering one and i got a nice shot of the moon. but at 200mm, the moon is still kind off small.

Is there anything that i can get as an attachment to magnify my shot rather than paying for a longer range lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.