I kenna conned liao..

the $700+ one should be the sigma 18-50 f/2.8 (constant aperture)

i don't really get you, just because the shop sold the lens to you for $6 less than what you get in singapore (which is still cheaper by the way), you feel like you've been cheated?

what is the official price in shanghai - shouldn't you be comparing to THAT, instead of aiming for $300 savings and being unhappy when:

1) you can mix up 2 lenses, thereby identifying you to be a easy carrot head asking to be chopped (and thus, the UV filter is self-explanatory)
2) you still save $6, it's not as if they charge you $800 for a $400 lens
3) you didn't do your homework

i'm sorry, but you get no sympathy from me.

please do your homework next time, and be clear on what lens is what lens. next time you will go buying a 70-300 f/4-5.6 cheap lens (costs $300 thereabouts) for $400 and be very happy thinking that you purchased the 70-200 f/2.8 (which costs a lot more). caveat emptor - especially when buying overseas.

To purchase a lens was a last min decision because I have quite alot of spare rmb.. I am definate on the lens which is not the constant aperture model..

It was a holiday last fri so I tried to ask my bro to check on the prices instead of calling myself because the idd charges are quite expensive.. To get an internet access in china ain't easy as well, cannot even rent a computer at the internet bar for foreign passport holders.. That was the last day I can get the lens there because we are on a group schedule, either I get it or missed it..

So the bottom line is trust yourself and check everything in advance..

To purchase a lens was a last min decision because I have quite alot of spare rmb.. I am definate on the lens which is not the constant aperture model..

It was a holiday last fri so I tried to ask my bro to check on the prices instead of calling myself because the idd charges are quite expensive.. To get an internet access in china ain't easy as well, cannot even rent a computer at the internet bar for foreign passport holders.. That was the last day I can get the lens there because we are on a group schedule, either I get it or missed it..

So the bottom line is trust yourself and check everything in advance..

You should have saved your rmb as it is appreciating. I am in Shanghai end of August and visited 兴光摄影城。 It only took me 5 minutes to realize that the prices are for locals. China is good for those made in China accessories only. I bought a 95mm lens cap which I cannot find in Singapore. For Sigma lenses, I would think only HK and Korea priced better than Sin. To be honest, I don't think there is a need to buy out of Sin. Cos when you sell, a local set is easier to sell than a grey set. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience.

Only can blame yourself for not doing your homework. :what:

BTW, it is hard to come out with a fake lens. If you can't tell whether it is real or fake then only one word for you.... DUMB! :sweatsm:

omg.jpg

Only can blame yourself for not doing your homework. :what:

BTW, it is hard to come out with a fake lens. If you can't tell whether it is real or fake then only one word for you.... DUMB! :sweatsm:

That is uncalled for.

no worries..i bet he is gonna ask the same questions here if he were in the same situation..with money involved it will be not as relaxing as he seems to be..

I am wondering if the lens is giving you any performance problem? If no, then just take good care of it and use it, you might even outlast the warrenty before something breaks down. It is not like the shop chop you like doubling the lens pricing and not to forget that you are a tourist, if you shop around singapore like this like most tourist, bet you sure toi chop. The cost price of a real or fake filter cost around 20 bucks, no big deal since you are using it as a protector for there is no use for UV blockage except slowing light and degrading image in DSLR.

For TS info, most fake stuff are more of leica and CZ as they are much more popular as compared to sigma. If you do a google search, you find lots of fake leica camera.

hmm, i dont think you got conned la... just trust your instincts, use the lens and see if the IQ is really bad... i doubt so anyway! the price is not too bad compared to singapore! just that might be a grey set...

sorry man just a little bit of logic... if I were to fake a lens I'll be faking Canon L or Nikon Gold Rings etc lor... faking at SGD420 lens where my profit at? reverse engineering my engineers still need to eat right?

so bro..i am worried because I assumed the same filter I got from the shop is fake..

Can i ask an innocent question?

Can cars be faked?

You ever seen a fake Mercedes?

Why don't you ever seen one? If you can fake a $100k car for $10k cost, you'll earn almost 1000% isn't it? So why isn't it being done?

Think about it a little?

Impossible lah, especially autofocus, very hard to engineer. If there are fake lenses, then i will be happy, bcos soon we will have bunch of chinese lenses which are so cheapppppp and works like the original

filter SGD$20 is ok to me.. But now I am worried that the lens is fake.. But I noticed that the fa piao only recorded the lens but not the filter..

lens very hard to fake bro...try shooting at f8...if you get sharp images, then probably the fake is so good tt u can't be bothered by its genuinety...:bsmilie:

Bring it to Sigma and request for calibration service. You'll need to pay since its not local warranty. Then cross your finger that the technician don't say "err..mister...your lens is not genuine".

I've read somewhere that imitation lens do exist.

Not true, you don't have to pay for the calibration service at Sigma. I have bought all my Sigma lenses overseas and I got them all calibrated at the Sigma Service Center in Singapore for free. They didn't even ask for any proof of purchase or warranty cards. I even asked and they confirmed they provide this service for free regardless of where the lens is bought from, as long as it's' a Sigma lens of course.

Impossible lah, especially autofocus, very hard to engineer. If there are fake lenses, then i will be happy, bcos soon we will have bunch of chinese lenses which are so cheapppppp and works like the original

YEAH!!! I will love that to happen!!!:bsmilie:

sorry man just a little bit of logic... if I were to fake a lens I'll be faking Canon L or Nikon Gold Rings etc lor... faking at SGD420 lens where my profit at? reverse engineering my engineers still need to eat right?

lol... was going to mention the same thing when reading the post. Who will bother to fake a 3rd party lens. its dont worth as much to fake.

Jus abit curious why does the TS buy a 18-50mm f 2.8-4.5. Its not realli a fast lens, to me its not much diff as compared to the kit lens. Getting the f2.8 macro version sld make more sense.

After looking at the shots, YES indeed you are being sold a FAKE sigma. The real one produce much better shots.

Dear Bro,

Thanks for all the help..

I took some shots using this lens at 18 F2.8..

Please have a look.. seems good to me..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54089590@N07/5007210619/in/photostream/

Looks fine to me. :)
Well, at the end of the day, i guess the money is already spent. Enjoy the lens to the fullest and stop worrying about it yea? :D

Even if(which i highly doubt it is) its a fake lens, if it can produce sharp images, there's not a big loss right? Camera and lens are for taking photographs.. not for worrying about :)

I thought most lens are not the sharpest within 2 stops of the widest aperture? Maybe TS can mount your lens on the camera set it on a tripod and take a shot of some words or stuff so we can see?

So far I haven't heard of imitation lenses yet, only heard of shops passing off cheap lenses as the better versions and sold to unknowing customers at higher prices. I think your lens should be fine, as for the filter, take it with a pinch of salt, its just SGD$20 after all. Know your equipment before making a purchase, to prevent yourself from falling prey to fraud.