I hate it when ppl say "its not the camera, its the person behine it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree the noise control for 450D is not very impressive, especially for night photography.

In night photography it is always best to use a tripod instead of pumping up your ISO.

Do correct me if I am wrong: One must understand the advantages/limitation of their equipment first and know how to use them to their fullest potential. Personally it only make sense to upgrade if you feel that your current equipment is holding you back and only changing it would resolve it. :think:

It's true that profession equipment make it easier to get your result, but if one think that just by buying the top-end camera would magically turn their shots into masterpiece then I have nothing to say. :what:

In night photography it is always best to use a tripod instead of pumping up your ISO.

Do correct me if I am wrong: One must understand the advantages/limitation of their equipment first and know how to use them to their fullest potential. Personally it only make sense to upgrade if you feel that your current equipment is holding you back and only changing it would resolve it. :think:

It's true that profession equipment make it easier to get your result, but if one think that just by buying the top-end camera would magically turn their shots into masterpiece then I have nothing to say. :what:

anson, it depends, if you are taking moving subject, either have to flash, open up aperture (lens problem) or bump up iso. boh pian for that example.

your statement in second paragraph.. true.. but idealistic. now, if only people would think that way, there would be a lot less d3s floating around.. :)

also for my case.. after i set up my tripod, my kids already run duuno where...

in low light, you probably don't need tripod unless you want to flash and self portrait as well.

unless you don't mind turning your kids into artistic streaks on the photogrpah.. :D

u go give michael schumacher a cherry QQ and compete with a average driver in a 911 turbo and go track, see who win...

Let me get back to the question on the first post...

The answer is that Schumacher will win...

The average guy in a 911 turbo thinks he is good because of the quality of the car, and slam it to the wall on the first turn. With note that he managed to start the 911 turbo at the first place... While Schumacher, although slow in the QQ, will drive skilfully to the finish...

your statement in second paragraph.. true.. but idealistic. now, if only people would think that way, there would be a lot less d3s floating around.. :)

People are getting richer & richer... :bsmilie:

You know your kids better.. ;)

my big camera and expensive lenses make up for my poor photography skills :thumbsup:... so i don't think the statement is true :bsmilie:

The average guy in a 911 turbo thinks he is good because of the quality of the car, and slam it to the wall on the first turn. With note that he managed to start the 911 turbo at the first place... While Schumacher, although slow in the QQ, will drive skilfully to the finish...

He will loose... The cherry engine won't even start lol.
But anyway i too hate it when people say its the person not the camera. Had this debate in class a few weeks back. My stand was, if your a poser, get a cheepo camera. If your a photographer, get a decent one. The girls will go like "even if you give a photographer a digi cam the photo wll look good." Its like saying a bicycle can go at 180km/hour.

When they say "its not the camera, its the person behind it" they actually mean given the same gear, the person with the skill will do a better job so don't credit the gear.:) I think this has been misquoted to mean lousy gear in the hands of a good photographer will always produce good shots.;p

Some cases in point:
1) Birding: Need at least 200mm and above lens.
2) Runway fashion photography: Need at least a 100mm and above lens
3) Macro photography: Need macro lens
4) Sports photography - Indoor: Need f2.8 or below
5) Sports photography - Outdoor: Need high fps although with good experience you can predict motion
6) Flash photography: Good to have external flash
7) Studio photography: Need at least one strobe and some backdrop
8) Long exposure photography: Mirror lock-up, tripod, remote trigger (good to have), body with good noise control

So next time someone gives you that BS about buying gear, you can safely ignore em and don't feel too bad about it.

It's is not the camera ! ...................................................................its the model (especially if its bikini or less)........... just go take a look at SOMEof the submissions in Portraits and Poses gallery :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Jokes aside .... yes on a straight open light-traffic road, the Ferarri is just going to kill that Chery ... but we drive in medium/heavy traffic much more than on open roads. In THIS situation, I will put my bottom dollar on Michael Schumacher in a Chery QQ ....mortgage my house too if its city driving between 8.00 - 9.30am in the morning

Entry level slrs will get blown out of the water in certain situations.... but more than hold their own ground in other situations .... in the right hands. :)

Last edited:
It's is not the camera ! ...................................................................its the model (especially if its bikini or less)........... just go take a look at Portraits and Poses gallery :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Jokes aside .... yes on a straight open light-traffic road, the Ferarri is just going to kill that Chery ... but we drive in medium/heavy traffic much more than on open roads. In THIS situation, I will put my bottom dollar on Michael Schumacher in a Chery QQ ....mortgage my house too if its city driving between 8.00 - 9.30am in the morning

Entry level slrs will get blown out of the water in certain situations.... but more than hold their own ground in other situations .... in the right hands. :)

In that situation, an ah pek in a bicycle will beat both of them!:bsmilie:

TS, i know how u feel, but i hate one thing similar to that, is when some noob who uses a PnS complains abt how "blur" and "off" your pictures are, but when they themselves nv use a DSLR before. Later these PnS noobs go use DSLRs, dont even know how to hold properly or set white balance or noise reduction, then say its the DSLR's fault.

why? because they shoot in auto while others shoot manual.
ppl think they're so great just coz they own a DSLR and shooting in auto.

becoz if you compare both 400D and 40D, one entry level, one semipro, both cameras can take almost identical looking pictures with the same length and exposure settings.

If you ask an unskilled person to hold a 1D, see how the photos would look like; probably wrong exposure, blur, and most common mistake is focus on wrong subject.

Buy what you can, use what you have! That's my advice. Who say lousy photographer cannot have great gears? But great photographers will have great photos even with lousy gears. I have seen photos taken in the 60s 70s and 80s with "primitive" gears compared to what we have now. And their photos deeply draws out my emotions and my eyes were stuck to the photos for a long time!

I am sure if your photos are blowing your friends away, they will not dare to tell you otherwise.

think about it.

i beg to differ. if someone is taking great pix with a basic DSLR, i will tell them no need to upgrade :thumbsup:. ok la.. depends on what they shoot. for sports and low light, the full frame cameras have a distinct advantage, but everything else is marginal returns for the extra $$ spent.

anyway, TS, between upgrading body and buying more lenses, go for the latter. lenses and external flash have far greater impact than camera body upgrade alone. in fact, if u dun already have a ext flash, u should start with that first.

Last edited:

hahaha!:thumbsup:

Bro, Dont be mad..... Be like me. No doubt i have to agree, sometimes its the person behind. But be like me, i dun give a damm to what they say. I buy what i deem is necessary, end of the day it my $$$. As long as we are happy and satisfy with what we buy, who cares..... Not that they pay part of what we are buying....

No offence to all ClubSNApper....

Cheers and Happy Buying....

Status
Not open for further replies.