I followed Mr.Cheapo RING FLASH instruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanycjw

Dec 25, 2008
Singapore
Dear all
I am newbie as well, just started on MACRO and hunting for a cheap ringflash but no luck here, Finally got it from FLICKR and would like to share it, as it work.
Me (Poor Newbie) can't afford a S$650 EX-xxx So..made it myself.

I have follow instruction from this link:
http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461

My Home made production and results are here.

3194052954_430bb2ca2b.jpg

And here are before/after results:-

3194058570_89baa36767.jpg

3194058766_0f6a08ea46.jpg

3194058784_e8ccb14c80.jpg

3193213337_ba9f34aca9.jpg

Wow - this is pretty cool. Thanks for the share.

wow very creative i have to bought one ring flash for $100

lol looks ugly buy u saved a lot of $

Yeah!!!... I knew it look a little ugly duck .BUT....... I am going to made another one after experienced the first tried and also I will SPRAY it BLACK to match the cam lah...

What you think.... Sound better right? cos save $$$$$ (The cost is only a shoe box and some tape and Alu foils. Cheapooooo...

Cheers!!!!!

Yeah!!!... I knew it look a little ugly duck .BUT....... I am going to made another one after experienced the first tried and also I will SPRAY it BLACK to match the cam lah...

What you think.... Sound better right? cos save $$$$$ (The cost is only a shoe box and some tape and Alu foils. Cheapooooo...

Cheers!!!!!

Actually one problem with a self made one is trying to get the light intensity to be even all round the ring and consistently repeatable results.

This is a commercial one using optical lightguides.
http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/downloads/Ringflash_info.pdf

Last edited:
Since you fellow love to D.I.Y so much :bsmilie:

I have a little suggestion here. For even light distribution, has anyone consider filling the circular part with those transparent white gel ? Even KY Jelly might works ? Just kinda EX though :) I think maybe starch also works, but starch will yellow over the days. A circular donut looking container see who have encounter before :)

Thump up for you bro!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Since you fellow love to D.I.Y so much :bsmilie:

I have a little suggestion here. For even light distribution, has anyone consider filling the circular part with those transparent white gel ? Even KY Jelly might works ? Just kinda EX though :) I think maybe starch also works, but starch will yellow over the days. A circular donut looking container see who have encounter before :)

It won't work too well.. You'll still get most of the light from the top and the bottom will not have much light. Need to find a way to guide the light all the way down.

Actually one problem with a self made one is trying to get the light intensity to be even all round the ring and consistently repeatable results.

Thanks for that link, I knew it too from Cathay but making one that almost there is FUN.....

Heheeee.
Cheers!!!!!!

It won't work too well.. You'll still get most of the light from the top and the bottom will not have much light. Need to find a way to guide the light all the way down.

i think if ts add a mirror or two inside , more light will be guided down.

The light power can be control at the flash, I try 1/1 (Full blast- very strong) as my photo use 1/32 if I have not forgotten. So still have a choice for lamda.

Thanks. Noted.

Did you try it on portraits shots of people?

Hmmmm.. I am sorry that I can't get someone standing there for me to shoot for free....Sooo I placed a chair and some drinks under lighting condition to simulate. Hope it's clear enough for show.

Is my best (Newbie) can do. Sorry Har...

Flash w/o Macro Ring
3196021677_046dbedcab.jpg

Flash with Macro Ring
3196021701_746b3e2d48.jpg

this can be overcome using translucent sheets to cover the top half of the ring, look at some of the commercially available 3rd party ring flash thats not using a ring lamp inside. logic mah.

Hope you peeps dun mind me posting some of my picts up here...

Was massively inspired by stanycjw and his DIY ring flash, so decided to try making one too..
Did a first prototype.. was completed at 12 midnight, pardon my silly tests and sloppy worksmanship...

First 2 pictures were taken at the closest possible distance for my 18-135 kit lens, of my laptop.

3199634636_23e64c3355.jpg

Taken with SB-600 flash diffuser cap (@ TTL-BL, +2.7) Note the shadows underneath, cast by the connectors.

3199634632_6d4913c649.jpg

Taken with the first prototype of the ring flash with SB-600 ( @ 1/4 M ). Note the shadows are gone, and details under the connectors are pretty visible. light is quite well spread. Pardon the orangy cast, i believe its the result of the material i used... :(

3199634638_96fe88a57b.jpg

pardon the black tapes. i cant find scotch tape...

3199634644_cd1f79bf43.jpg

Will be going to get harder, black, plasticky materials tomorrow after work, and start on my prototype 2. feel free to comment on this prototype, and how i can improve...

have you guys consider making it into 2 parts?

1) ring and the straight connector

2) flash housing and turning

why? so you can set the flash vertical as though bouncing flash off the ceiling, than attach the ring to the flash via the straight connector.

i am thinking of circular catch light in the model's eyes.

have you guys consider making it into 2 parts?

1) ring and the straight connector

2) flash housing and turning

why? so you can set the flash vertical as though bouncing flash off the ceiling, than attach the ring to the flash via the straight connector.

i am thinking of circular catch light in the model's eyes.

i did consider that... but i was intending to break it up into

1. ring

2. the rest.

cos i realised, SB-600 and SB800 and SB-900, they have different heights, which kinda means that the straight connector will vary in length to accomodate the different speedlights to be used.. i dont know, haven gone into much thought there. still trying to figure out how to better spread the light downwards to the bottom of the ring..

still trying to figure out how to better spread the light downwards to the bottom of the ring..

these are my suggestions

to increase the light output,

1) zoom the flash head all the way to the max

2) stick the reflective side of the alu-foil through out the tunnel connecting to the ring. try to smoothen the foil. crumpled foil will case the lights to reflect all over inside the tunnel, especially the 45 deg turn. from what i can see, you didnt cover the tunnel with the foil, hence the orange cast

to even out the light through out the ring, expt by covering the full ring with translucent plastic sheet. bit by bit, using sand paper, roughen the top of the ring and reduce the roughing as you go lower.

also, since you are using orange cardboard here, best is the hood can sit inside the ring to avoid color cast and flare. i am using suntax ring flash on my camera, without inserting the hood, it will flare very badly (btw, i using straight metal hood).

http://www.suntax.com.sg/MacroRingRF18AF.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.