I drove 200km yesterday for this .... (d100/sigma20f1.8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
Yesterday was friday again...... so off I went to the petrol station, and in went $40 of premium petrol. I headed south for busselton for a picture I've always wanted, some 200km from where I live. As usual, I like traveling through the small winding roads that make driving such a pleasure, and it helped that the rain was falling intermittently, and I was running cheap rubber.... . I went through some gravel sections.... and it was bloody good fun, it helped that I was watching the world rally championships last weekend.

32523714.jpg

Look at the shine off the dead empty road .... its a bit slippery, a recipe for fun.

OK OK... enough crap for now... so here is the shot that I wanted to capture. Drove 200km, wasted $40, and the entire day. I'm a bit disappointed that I didnt get more shots along the way... worth seeing.

DO comment ! 800x600 pix
32544962.jpg

clicck here for 1024 wall paper size. wallpaper

THis is the Busselton Jetty, longest jetty in the world. Extends 1.7km in to the freaking scary indian ocean. I've yet to completely walk the jetty, it gets so windy midway, and the storms are always out there to scare u. DOesnt help that the WA coast is filled with the Great whites. THe Jetty only has railings on one side... and its filled with fishermen.

Taken with my very trusty Sigma 20mmf1.8 at f10 30seconds on my D100 in RAW.

I think October/November is the best if you want to go to Busselton Jetty. I love fishing there when I was in Perth. I suggest you drive until Albany and you will delighted with the scenary, but weather is very temperamental. Albany about 400k if you take normal road, but by coastal line is about 500km. You can ask people in the pump station usually some of them can give you tips for short cut or good places to visit. Nice angle and sky colur....

O yes, don't speeding if you near settlement sometime traffic police can jump out from bush and chase you........

yeah... I travel pretty often in WA... . ALbany and stuff like that... i dont usually get good pictures during travelling with friends..... . So I go solo if I want good pictures... . WA is pretty nice place... and I reckon this shot is better at dawn, then dusk.

If you travell with non photogs you will have hard time to take pictures like what I did before...my car was 7 seater that time usually I go with few friends to share the cost :)
Have you been to Tulip Garden in Araluen? or Persimmon Orchard (forgotten the place name), the persimmon tree is very nice when the fruit turn to yellowish before they harvest it.

Great shot Marc... landscape shots are so much better when the air is clearer - which unfortunately in the tropics you can't really get, so take more while you're still in Australia!

hey... thks for the wallpaper... even my sis says its cool.... she says it beats my photos hands down.... :D (think she is sick of my lousy photos being wallpapers... :D )

Hey Marc very nice pic of the famous jetty u have there.. :thumbsup:

like the orange glow and shadows on the houses' roof...haiz..dunno when then i'll be able to take such pro-looking shots..

looking forward to ur future posts!

Knighthunter said:
I think October/November is the best if you want to go to Busselton Jetty. I love fishing there when I was in Perth. I suggest you drive until Albany and you will delighted with the scenary, but weather is very temperamental. Albany about 400k if you take normal road, but by coastal line is about 500km. You can ask people in the pump station usually some of them can give you tips for short cut or good places to visit. Nice angle and sky colur....

O yes, don't speeding if you near settlement sometime traffic police can jump out from bush and chase you........

Been to Albany many times. Luv it.

adrian26 said:
Hey Marc very nice pic of the famous jetty u have there.. :thumbsup:

like the orange glow and shadows on the houses' roof...haiz..dunno when then i'll be able to take such pro-looking shots..
looking forward to ur future posts!

Honestly, everyone can take good shots. If u are there with me, I dont see why u cant get a similar shot. U just need some time, and always think before u shoot.... . EVer gone for a shoot and come back with 100 average shots, but none that is outstanding ? Hmm... I reckon u will feel better with 2 outstanding shots.

Thanks for all your comments people. You're only too kind.

Awesome! Worth the drive.

i :lovegrin: your pics.. so relaxing.. :cool:

No one mentioned the border yet, but I think the border for this one and the next shot very much makes the shot.

It has a stylish calendar feel to it. I gotta start looking harder in my corner of Australia for shots like that.

Simply..i got to say that your second shot are really too wonderful.

Marc, awesome shot of the jetty that brought back not so warm memories. I was at the jetty in Dec 1994 when I fell into the sea at the 500m mark. It was summer but the water was freezing for my tropicalised skin! If not for some fishermen there, I would have been shark feed.

How about travelling to Hayden and capturing the Wave Rock formations at sunrise? I was there too but I had no camera to capture the moment.

Nizam

love your jetty shot! beautiful!!!!

next time you drive down south, might want to stop at Bunbury for some very nice Chinese buffet ... think its $9 for lunch, and $13 for dinner.... its along the main road, near the tall pointy building.

Status
Not open for further replies.