Humidity setting for dry cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

colour

Mar 7, 2006
The humidity gauge display of the dry cabinet does indicates with different colour. What is the proper range of dry humidity percentage setting ? Can set the dryer at below than 40% dry humidity setting? If too dry will it damaged the camera bodies, lens and etc that kept inside?

Dear colour, this quenstion has been asked and answered many times. Do a search.

Do not set a %RH too low as the condition would dry out the seals, lubrication of your lens(s), camera(s) & other equipment and render rubber brittle and would crack. In certain dry cabi manuals, the recommended range would be around the range of 40-60%.

Fungus spores germinate in approx 55-60% %RH, but I keep mine around 45%. As I do open my dry cabi often, the %RH would be in the average of %50. Unless I put in my gear after use, the %RH would go up to around 60%, but because of the difference with my settings and the %RH in my dry cabi, the unit would bring the %RH down faster to around 50% (Way within the spore germination range of 55-60%), then slowly drop to 45%. Have used this setting for years and have not encounted any problems with my gear.

I have read that UV does "kill" fungus spores, but IMHO, I do not think so. Spores can drift and spread in our atmosphere (floating in the atmosphere, being exposed to the sun and all), thus proving that UV cannot harm them as when the conditions are ideal for them to germinate, they will & do.

Any dry cabi would not totally prevent fungus, it just prevents the spores from germinating by ensuring an environment that isn't ideal for the spores to germinate. There are already fungus spores in your dry cabi now, like in everyone's elses. Once we use our equipment, they are exposed to spores (i.e. from the atmosphere, our palms etc) people have kept their equipment in dry cabis for years and are alright is because the conditions are non-ideal for the spores to germinate.

Don't worry too much about fungus or spores. Just use your equipment often. That is my best advice & the best way to prevent fungus. :D

hey ipin, regarding the cracking of rubber and drying of lubricants.... is this from personal experiance? I never have had any problems leh 30-40%rh anyway if you use the lens/camera shouldnt the oils absorb water?

Anyway, in colder countries tt are situated inland, the humidity averages 20-30%... does this mean their lenses crack every 2-3 years? :think: perhaps the manufacturer's suggestion is to reduce the load on the dry cabinet and thus prolong its life.:dunno:

dundee said:
hey ipin, regarding the cracking of rubber and drying of lubricants.... is this from personal experiance? I never have had any problems leh 30-40%rh anyway if you use the lens/camera shouldnt the oils absorb water?

Like I said, do a search. This topic has been covered on many occasions. You'll find your answers.

@ low humidity, rubber would become brittle. Lubricants would dry up. This is a fact, everyone plays safe. After a prolong exposure @ low %RH, rubber does become brittle and lubricants would dry up. How does oil absorb water/moisture when both are immisable?:dunno:

Your settings IMHO are too low, I reckon that most people would never go below 45% and I would not recommend anything below 45% either. For myself, 45% is a %RH that have set, leave it as it is and can just forget about worrying abt rubber cracking etc.

dundee said:
Anyway, in colder countries tt are situated inland, the humidity averages 20-30%... does this mean their lenses crack every 2-3 years? :think: perhaps the manufacturer's suggestion is to reduce the load on the dry cabinet and thus prolong its life.:dunno:

20-30% RH is outdoors. U have to know the %RH INDOORS. Is wouold be ideal to just place their equipment in a well ventalated closet! I know because I was in Australia for 4 years. As for the life span, dry cabis have become so affordable, people dun worry too much about it. Just buy another one if the current one breaks down (Sometimes after 5 years of constant usage). Anyhow, once the pre-set %RH has been achieved by the dry cabi, the unit doesn't work that hard, it just maintains @ the %RH, so not taxing on the unit. ;)

ipin said:
Don't worry too much about fungus or spores. Just use your equipment often. That is my best advice & the best way to prevent fungus. :D

yeah nuttin like good old sunshine and moving air hahaha

Witness said:
yeah nuttin like good old sunshine and moving air hahaha

Side tracking.

Was looking at your nick, understand that you are in Kitago, miyazaki prefecture, japan?

Travelled to miyazaki quite a few times and a singapore friends worked for the precture govt there.

Status
Not open for further replies.