Hoya Graduated ND Filter

Cashmere

Nov 24, 2008
Central
Hi guys,

Does anybody know where I can get Hoya 72mm graduated ND filter?
I went to a few shops and apparently they don't carry it.
Some even said manufacturers stopped makint it, etc..
Anybody has any clue at all? Desperately looking for it.
Maybe ND4 or ND8? :dunno:

Ok, if maybe Hoya doesnt have it..
Any other reputable alternative and where do I get it from..
Thanks! :D

no one really sells hoya gnd because it is SCREW IN type

SCREW IN type means that your horizon is set at a particular place, which is silly if you ask me.

best to get cokin p series, or tianya.

GND has nothing to do with ND4 or ND8, GND serves different purpose from ND filters.

oh, and i forgot, cokin p series you can get from cathay - call before you go.

i think OP should carry cokin too.

my advice is to get the cokin filter holder + ring (much better quality than tian ya) and the tianya filters (since cokin isn't really that neutral anyways)

Hi guys,

MS Colour is selling at $84 for 72mm.

Can't find the edit button.

Sorry, I gave the wrong info; that price is for the polariser.

If i recall correctly, Consumers Corner has not edit options.

Cheers:)

no one really sells hoya gnd because it is SCREW IN type

SCREW IN type means that your horizon is set at a particular place, which is silly if you ask me.

best to get cokin p series, or tianya.

GND has nothing to do with ND4 or ND8, GND serves different purpose from ND filters.

Hoya do carry half ND4 filter. And I was specifically looking for that actually..
And I was hoping to get the screw on for convenience.. :embrass:
I've not yet tried square filters but I think it'll take a bit of work right? If I'm not wrong..
Cos u have to fix the holder, etc..
And honestly, I dont see the purpose of having ND4 or ND8 as it only means I'm allowed for a slower shutter. And my purpose to get the filter is just to darken the skies.. Read up on it and realised that the half ND4 is the best option. Correct me if I'm wrong though.. Not so well-versed on filters. ;)

Hoya do carry half ND4 filter. And I was specifically looking for that actually..
And I was hoping to get the screw on for convenience.. :embrass:
I've not yet tried square filters but I think it'll take a bit of work right? If I'm not wrong..
Cos u have to fix the holder, etc..
And honestly, I dont see the purpose of having ND4 or ND8 as it only means I'm allowed for a slower shutter. And my purpose to get the filter is just to darken the skies.. Read up on it and realised that the half ND4 is the best option. Correct me if I'm wrong though.. Not so well-versed on filters. ;)

oh, you mean gnd 4...

not really, screw-on your horizon is fixed, i think that's more painful than anything else..

just think of it this way - for square filters, you screw on the ring, you slide the filter holder on, you slide the filter on. the sliding process for both these things takes less than 5 seconds with practice. :)

oh, you mean gnd 4...

not really, screw-on your horizon is fixed, i think that's more painful than anything else..

just think of it this way - for square filters, you screw on the ring, you slide the filter holder on, you slide the filter on. the sliding process for both these things takes less than 5 seconds with practice. :)

I guess I'll try it out since I dont really have much of a choice..
So you were saying u recommend Cokin huh?
Which one should I get and how much does it roughly cost with the holder and all?
Also, is it worth to buy IYO?

Oh... and will the filter fits all lens? sorry if noob qn.. :embrass:

I guess I'll try it out since I dont really have much of a choice..
So you were saying u recommend Cokin huh?
Which one should I get and how much does it roughly cost with the holder and all?
Also, is it worth to buy IYO?

what is IYO?

you can check out the prices in price guides, i haven't bought in a while and i don't really remember prices all the time.

Hi guys,

GND comes in soft and hard steps, and have different graduated levels. Go for the resin type. Much better.

GND comes in soft and hard steps, and have different graduated levels. Go for the resin type. Much better.

Resin? Ok, that brand I've never heard of.. :embrass:
What do you mean by soft and hard steps?
And how different? The only thing I know is the amount of grey that's blocking the light.

Resin? Ok, that brand I've never heard of.. :embrass:
What do you mean by soft and hard steps?
And how different? The only thing I know is the amount of grey that's blocking the light.

all these questions could be easily answered via google, instead of asking nonstop.........

resin is a material.

all these questions could be easily answered via google, instead of asking nonstop.........

resin is a material.

Yes, I'm reading about it..
Thanks for answering my questions and for your patience.. :D
Resins are easily scratched but I guess its better than glass which can easily break.
Does it fit all lens though? Unlike the screw on ones which needs specific diameter.
Cant seem to find anything on that one.. my last question btw.

Yes, I'm reading about it..
Thanks for answering my questions and for your patience.. :D
Resins are easily scratched but I guess its better than glass which can easily break.
Does it fit all lens though? Unlike the screw on ones which needs specific diameter.
Cant seem to find anything on that one.. my last question btw.

for slot in type filter..................... it usually comes this way, which i mentioned earlier.

you have:

1) FILTER HOLDER RING, which screws into lens, for different lens diameter, you will need different filter holder ring.

2) FILTER HOLDER slides onto the ring

3) FILTER slides into filter holder

so yes, you need specific diameter filter holder ring, but these probably cost less than buying individual screw in filters, e.g. nd4, nd8, etc............