how to use external flash for Macro Shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 stupid question...

will a touchlight able to bring out the detail like flash? touchlight example. Surefire LED

Theoretically it should be ok, but the downside is that it can't precisely control the desired output or power, and had to be cautious on it white balance.

Theoretically it should be ok, but the downside is that it can't precisely control the desired output or power, and had to be cautious on it white balance.

Maybe I will give it a try 1 day... I worry it will blind the insect if light power is too strong!

Amazing pics and advice here Leong,

I learned a great deal here :thumbsup:

Great job, guys! :thumbsup:

Leong32,

I wonder how to setup 5 flashes to take photo of mobile subject. Any tips?

Must be a lot of hard work & patience. Looking at the outcome, it is still worth every efforts put in.

Cheers,
Ben

Leong32,

Must be a lot of hard work & patience. Looking at the outcome, it is still worth every efforts put in.

Cheers,
Ben
I'd like to know too man. Trying to read up on macro photography and learn more...

Leong32,

Cheers,
Ben

I'd like to know too man. Trying to read up on macro photography and learn more...

Just find a place and setup the rig........then just wait and hope that the subject will come to that spot.

there is not a right/wrong answer whether natural light or flash should be used in macro. it also depends if you are creating a photograph (in the aesthetic sense) or you might be doing documentation of the subject. also the subject may be in shade or structured such that natural light is inadequate (eg tubular shaped flowers).

in many cases the subject may be in a cluttered environment and you actually want to use flash to only highlight the subject and dimmed out the background.

so it is important for the learner to understand and reason for himself when and why to use natural light, flash or a combination.

It was number of flash lights i used for the particular shot. :)

Very 'chim'
Impressive shots.
Can you share the positions and flash power of your secret technique? :)

Why a need for so many lights?
1. Key light
2. Highlighting light (er..plant/fly hair light)
3. Fill light
4. Top light?
5. Back light?

Status
Not open for further replies.