How to use ext flash with 50mm f/1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1808

Nov 22, 2008
West
Hi all, I try use 50mm f1.8 with my external flash SB28 (camera body D90) to shoot friend, aperture open at f/1.8 (I want to have nice blurr bg) but it is always over....so I try to dial up my speed but with external flash mounted, speed only can dial up to 200/sec and stop.....so I try to manual setting with my flash but just dont know how to set....I put flash power 1/64 or even generally go down to 1/32, 1/16...but still dont know how to control....

but if without external flash, It all go fine for both speed & aperture setting...

anyone can enlighten me?

Sorry most of the time I am shooting macro and it dont give me this problem.....

Appreciate if someone can teach or guide me....

I'm not sure about Nikon flash, but perhaps you can try the High Speed Sync? :dunno:

Hi all, I try use 50mm f1.8 with my external flash SB28 (camera body D90) to shoot friend, aperture open at f/1.8 (I want to have nice blurr bg) but it is always over....so I try to dial up my speed but with external flash mounted, speed only can dial up to 200/sec and stop.....so I try to manual setting with my flash but just dont know how to set....I put flash power 1/64 or even generally go down to 1/32, 1/16...but still dont know how to control....

but if without external flash, It all go fine for both speed & aperture setting...

anyone can enlighten me?

Sorry most of the time I am shooting macro and it dont give me this problem.....

anyone can enlighten me?

aperture controls the flash exposure.
shutter speed controls the ambient light. (natural light)
either use a very clean iso, lower the power or use nd filters.

goodluck! ;)

try using a diffuser cap and point the flash up instead

at F1.8 little amount of flash is needed, dial your flash power down, and your ISO down to 200 and shutter spd as fast as u can set (there is a FP sync for nikon to push the shutter spd faster than 1/200 but u need to set it in the options, but then again not sure will it work with older sb 28 flash)

Status
Not open for further replies.