how to turn LCD monitor into TV

ricleo

Mar 13, 2004
Eastern Singapore
Hi guys,

have a 27 inch dell LCD monitor lying around, wondering if I can turn it into a TV by purchasing some external TV tuner.

any experience with this guys?

Tried searching ebay, saw alot of TV tuners, duno if they will work anot hmmm..... most of them are SD as well. Saw some HD ones too with HDMI output, but they seem to be all NTSC and not PAL, so i guess i can't use those as well?

in any case, since normal broadcast TV is non-HD, will getting a normal tv tuner like the one below be my best bet? (get this instead of spending $$ on another LCD tv ha)

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/External-LCD...024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c2e81110

Hi guys,

have a 27 inch dell LCD monitor lying around, wondering if I can turn it into a TV by purchasing some external TV tuner.

any experience with this guys?

Tried searching ebay, saw alot of TV tuners, duno if they will work anot hmmm..... most of them are SD as well. Saw some HD ones too with HDMI output, but they seem to be all NTSC and not PAL, so i guess i can't use those as well?

in any case, since normal broadcast TV is non-HD, will getting a normal tv tuner like the one below be my best bet? (get this instead of spending $$ on another LCD tv ha)

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/External-LCD...024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c2e81110

i suppose your dell monitor has a hdmi input right? i think can use the starhub HD cable box connect to your monitor, couple of bucks per month only if i remember correctly

thanks guys! I don't subscribe to SCV, so that's out.

Fatigue, i'll probably pay that shop a visit to check out the prices, those boxes are what i see all over eBay, if its cheaper here, don't mind buying one to try :) Just hope the upscaling from 640*480 to a 27" screen is decent haha.....

I popped by Challenger to take a look at their media boxes as well, realised there were some media boxes that have HD TV tuners built in as well...but they state that its is for digital broadcast.

Any idea if our local free to view TV channels are digital broadcast? Those coming from the SCV wall sockets/terminals...

Any idea if our local free to view TV channels are digital broadcast? Those coming from the SCV wall sockets/terminals...

I don't think the signals from the SCV wall sockets are digital. At least not when you connect using an antenna cable to your TV. However, the ones coming over the air are. IIRC, channels 5, 8, CNA & HD5 are digital over-the-air.

just found this from wikipedia. so i guess all the mediacorp channels are DVB-T, and should work with the digitial TV tuners

MediaCorp TV Channels
SDTV (Standard-definition television) Terrestrial Free-to-air Channel
MediaCorp TV
MediaCorp TV Channel 5 (UHF 196.25 MHz from SCTV point to antenna and DVB-T)
MediaCorp TV Channel 8 (UHF 196.25 MHz from SCTV point to antenna and DVB-T)
MediaCorp TV Channel U (UHF 196.25 MHz from SCTV point to antenna and DVB-T)
MediaCorp News
MediaCorp News Channel NewsAsia International (UHF 196.25 MHz from SCTV point to antenna and DVB-T)
HD-TV (High-definition television) Channel
MediaCorp TV HD5 (UHF 196.25 MHz from DVB-T)