How to take fireworks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artosoft said:
OT hah...

Last friday about 9:30 there is a fireworks at Kallang. Is it for NDP preparation?

Regards,
Arto.

yup... it's in the papers.. a small small column.

+evenstar said:
focus on some buildings in the scene and lock ur focus (shift to MF to prevent camera from further focusing)

i use ISO 100, f8-11, 4 sec to 11sec
focusing on buildings only work if the distance from camera to fireworks/buildings is almost equal right? other wise this trick won't work am i right?

bent said:
this soudns stupid, but when exactly do u press the shutter?

the moment the fireworks come up, or before?

i mean since this is long shutter speed right?
Listen... the larger bursts are usually indicated by telling whizzing sounds as more power is required to propel the larger bangs higher... trigger as you hear that whizz and time your shutter long enough to catch the full burst, and pray that other bursts compliment the big burst...

jerry2308 said:
How about focusing?How do you guys focus? I doubt u can use auto focus right?

I set my lens and cam to manual, lens turn to infinity, that's all.

panzerpunk said:
With or without flash also?

Definitely, no flash. Why?

Have you seen a super powerful flash that was so bright, that it lit up the whole night sky? ;)

That thought alone, brings a chuckle each time it comes across my mind...

sehsuan said:
Definitely, no flash. Why?

Have you seen a super powerful flash that was so bright, that it lit up the whole night sky? ;)

That thought alone, brings a chuckle each time it comes across my mind...

Got... it's called The Sun.;)

justarius said:
Got... it's called The Sun.;)

In the night? :bsmilie:

Humor aside, please don't use a flash at night while shooting fireworks. Really going be very funny when you think about it years later.

CYRN said:
yup... it's in the papers.. a small small column.
Thanks!

When and what time is the next one? Is it on today 23/6/06?

Regards,
Arto.

Zaknafein said:
focusing on buildings only work if the distance from camera to fireworks/buildings is almost equal right? other wise this trick won't work am i right?
doesn't matter really, since you're shooting at f8-11 and using a slow shutter

Zaknafein said:
Read my post #18.

Also, you might want to read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocal_distance

If you use Wide Angle lens, when you use f/8 or f/11, the DoF (Depth of Field) is quite big. So, if you focus on the building (better if you can focus on hyperfocal distance), it will still cover the fireworks distance, thus give you sharp fireworks.

Slow shutter doesn't contribute anything to DoF!

Regards,
Arto.

+evenstar said:
doesn't matter really, since you're shooting at f8-11 and using a slow shutter
True about f/8-11. But, are you sure about slow shutter?

Regards,
Arto.

+evenstar said:
Shutter speed and aperture are related!!

;p
Do you count shutter speed and aperture (for good exposure) when taking fireworks?

Regards,
Arto.

+evenstar said:
hmmm..sort of..if shutter speed is too slow and aperture is too wide, the fireworks will be blown out, vice versa

:)
Using camera's meter? Agak-agak right? You are using slow shutter because you want to capture the fireworks (and its light trail). How slow it is? Depends on what do you want to capture and achieve. Try using 10s and you get plenty of explosion (maybe crowded one), 2s and you got some explosion, or 1/2s to get single but great explosion. Again, it is depends on how many fireworks at that time. 20s but only 1 explosion, you only got 1 explosion right?
Aperture? Like your suggestion, just use f/8 to f/11 to get big DoF.

Read again about DoF. Shutter speed has nothing to do with DoF!

I am not against you, but I don't like reading misleading information.

Regards,
Arto.

hmmm...ok will read up again...

maybe for this particular scenario, shutter speed and DOF have little relation since it's dark? for daytime, shutter speed and DOF are definitely related?

we're all here to learn, and it's good to learn from each other's mistakes..:)

+evenstar said:
maybe for this particular scenario, shutter speed and DOF have little relation since it's dark? for daytime, shutter speed and DOF are definitely related?
No. DoF is not regulated by shutter speed. I repeat: "DOF IS NOT REGULATED BY SHUTTER SPEED!".

DoF is regulated by:
- Lens' focal length.
- Lens' Aperture.
- Distance between Camera and object. Or we can say lens' focus.
- CoC (Circle of Confusion). This related to the sensor size on the body.

Regards,
Arto.

+evenstar said:
Shutter speed and aperture are related!!

;p
No doubt they are related,but if your Aperture is set at F8-11 then shutter speed will not be much on the concern.
Only need to get the correct exposure.Otherwise it will be under or over.

But your earlier post say about slow shutter,so need to clarify that slow shutter not related to DOF.

Shutter speed does not affect DOF at all!
Only Aperture and distance that you are focusing.

For fireworks,

Normally, it is shot at f8-f11 or even up to f16 (depending on the effects you wish to achieve). Basically, the smaller f (f16) will give you thinner streaks.

For focusing, usually done is manual focusing, otherwise auto search like siaoz. focus to infinity as mentioned as fireworks are so high in the sky. At most focus to infinity and turn back slightly

To get multiple fireworks in a picture is by multiple exposure and not slower shutter speed. Otherwise sure blown. Use a black card, use bulb mode, the black card acting as the shutter.

+evenstar said:

we're all here to learn, and it's good to learn from each other's mistakes..:)

Hmmz. Thought artosoft already mentioned that DOF have nothing to do with shutter speed at all be it day or night.

UNLESS....you adjust shutterspeed to control the aperture to the number you want (in shutter priority mode) instead of dialing the f-stop straight (in Aperture priority mode)...then you can "CONTROL" dof using shutterspeed...:bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.