how to take clear moon shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
giantcanopy- beautiful moonshots... like your Japan series. I tried with a 504mm PnS camera and got a fuzzy result. My DSLR only reaches to 400mm so I gave up... moon so small.
One more TCx2 and maybe you can see the Apollo moon lander!:)

Last edited:
I like your first shot. Last night I was trying to get the craters, but they werent visible! Wrong side of the moon :/

You will never see the other side of the Moon from the Earth due to the inner structure of the Moon and some gravity.

hmmmm seems like my 200mm is totally useless for taking moon shots.

IMG_7519p1.jpg

70-200mm f/4.0 TC1.4 ISO 800 f7.1 1/160 sec 200mm with crop. Picture taken on 2009 Feb 09 8:08pm. Must use spot meter, exp -0.7.

Cheers

Last edited:
Besides the long lens, other things apply. Like turning off stabilization (where applicable), a really sturdy tripod with matching head and mirror lock up/timer/cable release. With the longer glass, there's always the chance that a little bump turns a crater into a blur.

I like your first shot. Last night I was trying to get the craters, but they werent visible! Wrong side of the moon :/

Erm, we can only see one side of the moon. Its was actually discussed many moons ago..:)

With the 18-200 its a bit difficult to get a large enough image even at 100% crop. I have tried with the 70-300 VR with limited success. As mentioned by others you will probably need about 500mm or more to get a decent image. One of the problems will be camera shake when shooting the moon. I have tried using bicycle hook to secure the camera-scope set up to increase stability. Using mirror lock and a remote to trigger will also help. You can also try using a bean bag.

Here are a 2 shots taken previously and a recent one taken with the camera hooked up to an old Celestron C5 scope with an adapter. This is the equivalent of a 1250mm f10 lens. If you check out some of the old threads in the night photography forum you will find a lot of good info there and a lot of very helpful people. That was where I started.

A night shot of the moon
2213802473_b6958418a8_o.jpg

An early evening shot when the moon was rising
2215502331_5be6e1cb2c_o.jpg

A recent shot this week @ ISO800 1/1250 sec
3267333715_e8d00d2d11_o.jpg

Erm, we can only see one side of the moon. Its was actually discussed many moons ago..:)

Yeah I know, I looked it up a couple of days ago and saw an animated image of the moon throughout the year. How come some times we can clearly see craters? I did see a bit of craters on 8th Feb (see my pic above), but couldnt on 9th Feb. :confused:

Yeah I know, I looked it up a couple of days ago and saw an animated image of the moon throughout the year. How come some times we can clearly see craters? I did see a bit of craters on 8th Feb (see my pic above), but couldnt on 9th Feb. :confused:

There's this thing called atmosphere. A complex system of several layers, each having it's own currents, temperature, humidity. Not to mention the pollution in the lower layers.

TroyP, try shooting a half moon / crecent will also probably give you a little more details than a full moon since you will have more side-lighting to illuminate and delineate the surfaces.

Ryan

TroyP, try shooting a half moon / crecent will also probably give you a little more details than a full moon since you will have more side-lighting to illuminate and delineate the surfaces.

Ryan

Ok, thanks. I'll give that a go!

70-200mm+ 1.4TC @280mm, f/5.6, 1/250. ISO200
3335541388_fa165f04d4_o.jpg

Here's my shot using 18-200mm lens. 100% crop and sharpened.

3346334980_01704778ab_o.jpg

Settings:
F-Nummer: F 10.0
Aperature value: F 9.9
Exposure time: 1/60 sec.
Shutter speed value: 1/64 sec.
Focusal length: 200.0 mm
Exposure program: Manual control
ISO speed rate: ISO-100
Metering mode: Multi-Segment

Here's my shot using 18-200mm lens. 100% crop and sharpened.

3346334980_01704778ab_o.jpg

Settings:
F-Nummer: F 10.0
Aperature value: F 9.9
Exposure time: 1/60 sec.
Shutter speed value: 1/64 sec.
Focusal length: 200.0 mm
Exposure program: Manual control
ISO speed rate: ISO-100
Metering mode: Multi-Segment

Not bad at all for the 18-200mm, just take not on the outer white rim u get when u push the post processing...

Not bad at all for the 18-200mm, just take not on the outer white rim u get when u push the post processing...

Thanks deklan!

I'm also very new to PP, and am picking stuffs up here and there myself (trials and errors).

Can guide me how to do it?

Many Thanks in advance!

NovJoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.