How to take a good potrait pict using D40 - 18-55mm VR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

welisha

Jun 25, 2009
welisha.multiply.com
Hi All experts, im new, realised that using my normal sony camera took better photos than my D40. Looking forward to your advise. Thanks

Maybe you shd read more on how Aperture, ISO, shutter speed works.

work out your composition during shooting, read about rules of thumb in photography and shoot more will do ;)

I can't advise much but gambatte! ;)

TS, this is the same thing I said when I picked up my first DSLR.

Solution: Read more, Learn more and Shoot more. After that, read, learn and shoot more!

Hi TS thanks, any recommendation on what i can read? thanks cos abit confused with all the terms tts totally new to me. Thanks

Read the stickies available here in CS.
Libraries are a good source of books that are very relevent and current.
You can do a search here in CS to get specific subjects which I feel is abundance.

You can also join in on some outings which is often organised. You can ask all the newbie question there.

Prime lens prime lens! Prime is good for portrait though.
Yup yuppies. ;)

Hi All experts, im new, realised that using my normal sony camera took better photos than my D40. Looking forward to your advise. Thanks

you need to be better acquainted with ken rockwell. there is nothing the D40 (his fav cheap n small dslr) and 18-55 (his fav cheap n small lens) can't do swimmingly well in his hands, least of all portraits.

The D40 should have a dedicated "Portrait" mode on the dial. Did you used it?

Define good portrait pictures

There is no good or bad photo

maybe you could post a sample photo of what you're dissatisfied with?

Status
Not open for further replies.