How to set up slow sync flash with D5000 in Manual Mode + SB 700 external flash?

jansen81

Aug 31, 2010
Singapore, Tampines
Hi all,

I realised that I won't be able to choose slow sync flash mode while I'm using Manual Mode with my external flash SB 700. The only flash mode which I am able to choose is Fill Flash, Rear Sync and Red Eye. However, when I switch to Night-Portrait mode, I will be able to choose between Slow Sync Auto and Slow Sync Red Eye.

The reason why I refuse to choose Night Portrait mode is because I do not have the option of selecting my own Aperture. I did a google but still couldn't find a solution to this.

Anyone able to advise on this issue?

Many Thank!

Pardon me but the question is an oxymoron question.

When you choose Manual Mode you have taken over control of the exposure time, so slow sync is not an option for the camera, it is your option. You choose whatever speed you desire, so long as it is below the sync speed of your camera. You are now your own master, you set your shutter speed and aperture, and setup the speedlight whichever way you like. You can set 1/60s or 60s or 60min, up-to-you (ok, longer shutter speed needs some way of holding the shutter open).

Of course you will need to figure out exposure on your own as well, for the ambient part of the exposure anyway. This is, after all, Manual. Heck, you can even get your SB to go manual; and while at it manual focus! Glorious manual photography!

Good old manual mode - the very definition of slow sync.

Last edited:
Pardon me but the question is an oxymoron question.

When you choose Manual Mode you have taken over control of the exposure time, so slow sync is not an option for the camera, it is your option. You choose whatever speed you desire, so long as it is below the sync speed of your camera. You are now your own master, you set your shutter speed and aperture, and setup the speedlight whichever way you like. You can set 1/60s or 60s or 60min, up-to-you (ok, longer shutter speed needs some way of holding the shutter open).

Of course you will need to figure out exposure on your own as well, for the ambient part of the exposure anyway. This is, after all, Manual. Heck, you can even get your SB to go manual; and while at it manual focus! Glorious manual photography!

Good old manual mode - the very definition of slow sync.

Thank for the clarification. Hence, I presumed when I using Manual mode with the external flash, it is already in Front Curtain Slow Sync mode (with me selecting my own shutter speed to balance the ambient light).

Probably you could help me with another question. Thus supposedly, I am using TTL mode in my flash gun, I need not put much attention in configuring my shutter speed selection to achieve 0EV; since in TTL mode (under 0EV), the flash will balance the exposure of my subject and ambient.

Thank for the clarification. Hence, I presumed when I using Manual mode with the external flash, it is already in Front Curtain Slow Sync mode (with me selecting my own shutter speed to balance the ambient light).

Probably you could help me with another question. Thus supposedly, I am using TTL mode in my flash gun, I need not put much attention in configuring my shutter speed selection to achieve 0EV; since in TTL mode (under 0EV), the flash will balance the exposure of my subject and ambient.

How much ambient light to show in the pic is controlled by the shutter speed, nothing to do with the flash gun.

You're somehow correct that TTL flash will take care of the subject exposure provided the subject is within the flash output distance. Increase the flash output slightly if the subject is not well lit.

OK, about balanced fill flash.

When in manual mode, you decide the ambient exposure by choosing your shutter speed and aperture - you can opt to underexpose, overexpose, just right, whatever.

Speedlight burst in thousands of a second, and is independent of the shutter speed selected as long as it is below the sync speed - so you control this by setting the speedlight accordingly. You can choose to let the speedlight do this manually for you, or set to auto with fixed aperture (not sure SB-700 has this) or go manual (full, 1/2, 1/4 etc). You can choose to overexpose, underexpose or just right. Goldilocks works here.

And with manual you should be able to choose rear curtain as well.

Or if you are intimidated by all these manual talks, choose aperture priority and rear curtain, the A mode will give you correct ambient and slow shutter speed, and rear curtain will fire speedlight at the end of the exposure circle. You can then use the exposure compensation to under, or overexpose the ambient conditions, and the flash compensation to do the same to flash exposure.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: