How to remove dust from Canon EF-S 17-55 , anyone have tried this before?

lichtleiter

Deregistered
Apr 1, 2009
Some of you might have seen this, I just want to know if anyone have tried this before?

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uXEAVv4G5cY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uXEAVv4G5cY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Interesting. I think it would work but I don't dare to try this on my lens.

One small improvement to the process -
Before removing the front label, stick a small piece of masking tape on it and another piece on the lens rim and make a mark. This way, when you put back the label, it will be in the same original position.

Sorry.... I may be cheap.... but risking my 17-55mm just to remove a few dust spot..... No Thxs :sweat:

But good info TS :thumbsup:

interesting, let me do it for you....

Did this to my canon 28-135 few years back.

Actually, he should have just lifted up the "donut ring" with a sharp object thru small hole along the edge of the ring.

I hope those who attempting this remember to mark the exact position of the lens first. If you do not screw it back to the original position, you risk affecting the focusing accuracy of the lens. Be careful when tightening the screws back, it is easy to miss cue and scratch yr glass with your screwdriver or screws.

Last edited:
Look easy..the step apply to all lens?i wanna try clean my tamron 17-50mm

Thanks for your info, I might try it on my old lens :bsmilie:

Tried it on my 17-55. No problem and quick dummy proof. Now my lens is as clean as first bought.

Tried it on my 17-55. No problem and quick dummy proof. Now my lens is as clean as first bought.

I will try this after warranty expires

I realised that it is this front part always caught dust. But I was wonder, when we remove a / some dust, might be getting more dust in? ;)

Why bother ... really?

Buut ... on SOME of the lenses where you do not have an alignment-front (centering), it's usually very easy.

Is true that if we do the in house cleaning for our lens that under warranty period , it will broke the warranty contract ?

Is true that if we do the in house cleaning for our lens that under warranty period , it will broke the warranty contract ?
Yes, especially if you start taking things apart. You won't void the warranty if you clean the outer lens surface using normal means. (i.e. not under running tap water or using the dishcloths ;))

I realised that it is this front part always caught dust. But I was wonder, when we remove a / some dust, might be getting more dust in? ;)

do it in a cleanroom

i think it's quite easy though for some who play with screwdriver and nuts a lot.but i was wondering it only clean the outer one,the deeper element still cant be cleaned.a few dirt wont affect our photo though...but does it apply for other lens too like a 15-85mm?anyone tried on it before?

:cool:

Let me add some tips
There are 3 possibilities to mount the front part.
Best is to return to it's original condition. A pencil mark will do the trick

It's also a bit risky to remove the screws from the top ( screw can drop on the optics )
Removing the screw sideways will reduce the risk

Is dust accumulation really a problem for this lens?
Would a filter be able to prevent dust from accumulating inside?

@herbie:when too much dust is accumulated,it certainly will affect the picture. More or less,when you snap some quite plain picture and when you zoom in your picture then you see some blurry dot.and filter wont help preventing the dust from getting inside the glass.the dust gets in through a outer parts between one plastic barrel and another that moves in and out when we zoom our lens.so make sure you sweep the dust off oftenly.

Last edited:
Why bother ... really?

agree...dust...or even fungus won't make much different if the image captured sucks at the first place.

i don't even bother to clean or blown my sensor these days (mine is the old model without any self-cleaning mechanism)

from my experience, excessive cleaning will just end up with even more dust inside, and also risk of damaging some parts