how to quickly change lens by yrself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murcielago

Mar 14, 2005
yesterday while at IT show i experienced what it's like to change the lens on the spot by myself without any table or chair to place my stuffs. all the while i have been using/bringing 1 lens only.

so i'm asking the pros here how do u change lens quickly on location? do u practise 'multi-arm stance" (remove rear lens cap, remove lens frm cam, put inside bag, take out new lens, mount) :bsmilie:

another thing is, is it safe to remove the rear lens cap for lenses in the bag that u might be using?

lastly, do you...
1, remove current lens and place it in bag, remove rear lens cap and mount new lens

or

2. remove rear lens cap and hold it, remove current lens and cap it. mount new lens.?

Hmm i usually
1.open up my bag 1st
2.uncrew the lens cap so its easy to remove
3. unmount my lens,
4.put it in the bag,remove the lens cap of the other lens and mount it on the cam.
Sometimes i dun even put the lens cap back on;p

oh yes...i am refering to the rear lens cap..not the front 1..just in case

If I got the camera neck strap and hang on my neck, and the lenses are not big and heavy. With one lens on the hand already, the camera lens capped, can change and recap the other lens in 10~15 seconds.

> unmount lens and hold it onto the camera with left hand
> with right hand unscrew lens cap in bag, take lens out and mount it
> put unmounted lens in bag and screw on lens cap

quick and minimum exposure of camera's interior to dust outside

yesterday while at IT show i experienced what it's like to change the lens on the spot by myself without any table or chair to place my stuffs. all the while i have been using/bringing 1 lens only.

so i'm asking the pros here how do u change lens quickly on location? do u practise 'multi-arm stance" (remove rear lens cap, remove lens frm cam, put inside bag, take out new lens, mount) :bsmilie:

another thing is, is it safe to remove the rear lens cap for lenses in the bag that u might be using?

lastly, do you...
1, remove current lens and place it in bag, remove rear lens cap and mount new lens

or

2. remove rear lens cap and hold it, remove current lens and cap it. mount new lens.?
I used to do this for film.

1. Put the front cap on
2. Remove lens from body
3. Put the rear cap on
4. Keep lens in bag
5. Take out new lens
6. Remove rear cap
7. Mount lens on body
8. Remove front cap

But ever since I switched to digital, the workflow is almost reversed.

1. Put front cap on old lens
2. Remove rear cap from new lens
3. Hold lens in left/right hand in correct angle to mount lens
4. Unmount old lens using right/left hand using side of forefinger/thumb to press the lens release button (Nikon)
5. Mount new lens using left/right hand
6. Put on rear cap on the lens
7. Keep lens in bag
8. Remove front cap

Status
Not open for further replies.