How to pull film out from cartridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep5

Nov 26, 2002
west coast
Visit site
Hi all,

I want to ask how to pull out the film from the film cartridge again after it has ben rewound?

Is there a simple trick or Is there a special tool? If so where can i get it?

Please advise

Thanks,

Deep5

what you need is something called a Film Pick or Picker. easily obtainable from CP/fotoguide/ruby photo or any good photo lab. get the blue Konica one, easy to use and so far, the most popular.

i'd consider this an essential item for a film shooter, along with a el cheapo slim black marker (for noting the number of shots on the film canister itself)...

Yes...
i have done that a few times. But it's very troublesome as my place is nowhere near to any lab (not within walking distance) and not to mention that i have to buy stuffs there b4 i can ask.

So now i'm thinking of getting that film picker so i can do it myself.

Thanks for all the inputs
:)

is it technically difficult? do u need a black bag to do it in? any risk of ruining the roll like opening up the cartridge?

so the idea of doing this is to do midroll rewinds to switch film right?

and the risks of it is getting dust/scratches on film during the winding process?

any possibility of partial exposure when u reload a previously-used film and try to forward to the midroll by shooting with lens-cap on?

this works best with canon systems that pre-wind to the end right? but is it quite accurate or better to leave 1 shot extra spacing between sessions?

thanks!

Originally posted by hyun
is it technically difficult? do u need a black bag to do it in? any risk of ruining the roll like opening up the cartridge?

and the risks of it is getting dust/scratches on film during the winding process?

any possibility of partial exposure when u reload a previously-used film and try to forward to the midroll by shooting with lens-cap on?

this works best with canon systems that pre-wind to the end right? but is it quite accurate or better to leave 1 shot extra spacing between sessions?

thanks!

Wah...so many questions! ;)

thanks!

Aiyo, so many questions!

You can get them all answered by buying the thing and asking the seller to show you. Very easy one, dun need changing bag, etc.

Basically, it goes like this. You insert the film picker's 3 tongues (retracted) into the lip of the cartridge. Push Lever [1] into the cartridge. Rotate the spindle of the cartridge until you hear a click. Push lever [2] into the cartridge. Pull the film picker out, which willl extract the leader.

Using a marker, write down which frame you stopped at on the leader or the cartridge. I prefer to write on the leader.

When you re-load it, use the highest shutter speed, smallest aperture (e.g. 1/4000s @ f/22) and fast forward it to the last frame + 1 or 2. E.g. if you stopped at frame 17, advance to 19.

Be careful of reloading film from pre-wind cameras into non-prewind cameras and vice versa.

Regards
CK

Deep5, what camera do you use? Most Canon SLRs allow you to leave the leader out.

Originally posted by sriram
Deep5, what camera do you use? Most Canon SLRs allow you to leave the leader out.

heh heh. love it. I always set mine to leave the leader out.

Originally posted by sriram

u mean the camera has some menu setting that lets u leave it out after a rewind?

any experience of damage to film from all this winding there and there? scratches etc..?

i use nikon f65

i dun think they have this setting...
nvr see in the manual

u mean the camera has some menu setting that lets u leave it out after a rewind?

any experience of damage to film from all this winding there and there? scratches etc..?

yes, some advanced cameras allow that.

no..... my my.... u are one big worried guy... relax.

Originally posted by ckiang

fast forward it to the last frame + 1 or 2. E.g. if you stopped at frame 17, advance to 19.

There is no need to advance to the last frame + 1 or 2 for Canon. The film advancing unit in Canon cameras can accurately wind the film to the next available frame without any overlapping or extra space. But u can only do that if your roll of film has a tongue.

Originally posted by mervlam

There is no need to advance to the last frame + 1 or 2 for Canon. The film advancing unit in Canon cameras can accurately wind the film to the next available frame without any overlapping or extra space. But u can only do that if your roll of film has a tongue.

Not to downplay Canon, but do you really, really, really want to trust it? It's safer to just +1 or 2, just in case. 1 frame is cheap. A double exposure with your winning shot is not.

Regards
CK

Not to downplay Canon, but do you really, really, really want to trust it? It's safer to just +1 or 2, just in case. 1 frame is cheap. A double exposure with your winning shot is not.

Regards
CK

i had tried it on around 20 rolls so far on my EOS 30. Never missed a beat on consumer film (ie. not bulk-loaded, as i dont cut the leader into a tongue shape)

Originally posted by mervlam

i had tried it on around 20 rolls so far on my EOS 30. Never missed a beat on consumer film (ie. not bulk-loaded, as i dont cut the leader into a tongue shape)

That's only 20 rolls. Try 2000 rolls. If all pass, heh. :) But seriously, just as you wouldn't want to trust any metering 100% of the time, you shouldn't trust such automation 100% of the time. You never know when it fails.

Regards
CK

That's only 20 rolls. Try 2000 rolls. If all pass, heh. :) But seriously, just as you wouldn't want to trust any metering 100% of the time, you shouldn't trust such automation 100% of the time. You never know when it fails.

Regards
CK

hehe.... u got a point there. that's why i prefer not to mid-roll rewind for important events. i usually finish that roll of film.

The point is juz go out and try.
If you make a mistake, so what?
You probably will still be alive afterwards... (cross my finger)
But learn from it, so next time you can avoid it.

The stupid mistakes we make now can become an inspiring story to share with our grandchildren in the future. :D

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.