How to interpolate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnie84

Jan 21, 2006
Pasir Ris
hi, sorry this may be a newb question, but how do u interpolate a digital photo, say a 3000 x 2000 300dpi into a really big one, without significant reduction in quality? i know it is possible to have life-size prints of people, for example, using 5-6 megapix cameras. is it possible to do with photoshop? or special software needed?

PS will do. Resize your image, keeping the resample box checked (if not it you're just playing around with dpi)

Advisible to increase in 10% increments until you reach the desired resolution. This will minimise loss in image quality.

jonnie84 said:
hi, sorry this may be a newb question, but how do u interpolate a digital photo, say a 3000 x 2000 300dpi into a really big one, without significant reduction in quality? i know it is possible to have life-size prints of people, for example, using 5-6 megapix cameras. is it possible to do with photoshop? or special software needed?

why exactly do you need to interpolate your image? i know this software can create human sized posters ;p

metallilan said:
why exactly do you need to interpolate your image? i know this software can create human sized posters ;p

All bow to the almighty Rasterbator!

jonnie84 said:

I think you need to be more specific on the following:

1. "really big one"

2. "without significant reduction in quality"

FWIW, in my experience, there is no one best interpolation algorithm. It's more about suitability to the type of picture content.

Viewing distance is a major consideration when you think about 'quality'.

I have 2 questions. How big are you going to print this image? What is the printer resolution that this image is to be printed?

Until you can figure out what your final output size is, bigger is not necessarily better.

Status
Not open for further replies.