How to gaffer tape?

Where to get it?

cheap gaffer tape leaves residue behind. tried before. my lightstand had residue tht is similar to duct tape.

cheap gaffer tape leaves residue behind. tried before. my lightstand had residue tht is similar to duct tape.

Not all cheap gaffer tape leaves residue. You just have to make sure the adhesive used is 100% latex adhesive.

The one I am using for many years is called Lion Cloth tape from Japan. It is 100% latex adhesive, and bonding index is around the same as the expensive Apollo tape. It cost 2.20 a roll of 2"x12 yards (Apollo is 60 yards). Leaves no residue even 3-4 months application. But it is glossy and not matt, but because it is glossy, it is water resistant but feels a little thicker than Apollo. It comes in many colors as well, and I bought it locally in Kaki Bukit area.

BTW, don't think Apollo makes their own gaffer tape as well. Because they mostly make stage lighting fixtures. Heard from the grapevine that their gaffer is OEM from some overseas manufacturer as well, not from Canada where Apollo Designs are located.

Anyway, here is a picture of Lion Gaffer tape. Black is also available but not shown in this picture from this site... of the company i bought it from. http://www.teckseng.com.sg/tape.htm
They also sell faux carbon fiber tape from 3M and a cheaper version from Taiwan. And all kinds of other tapes and adhesives. They are suppliers to companies like Kingsmen art, art friend, TCS etc.

lion%20brand%20cloth%20tape.jpg

Last edited:
Isnt these similar to the type of vinyl fabric tapes you can get at Popular bookshop?;)

Last edited:
Isnt these similar to the type of vinyl fabric tapes you can get at Popular bookshop?;)

Yup. Gaffer tape = cloth tape = fabric tape.

The difference between a good or a bad one is the adhesive used, if they actually used 100% latex adhesive and also watch the bonding strength index. So far many of the China ones are not pure latex adhesive. Lion tape is 100% latex (natural rubber) like Apollo. and they leave no residue as well just like Apollo. Just that Apollo is less coated because it is Matt. Matt Lion gaffer tape is not brought in by local distributors so far, even though I have been asking.

Last edited: