how to do this ah?

fozosix

Nov 2, 2009
http://vimeo.com/21294655

is this a real video that is speed up?
or is this made of many shots that is made into a video then speed up?

how can you tell the difference?

timelapse.

timelapse is a video which is speed up rite? but my concern is how to differentiate whether it is taken from video mode or multiple shots that is combined become a video?

timelapse is a video which is speed up rite? but my concern is how to differentiate whether it is taken from video mode or multiple shots that is combined become a video?

There is time lapse movie and time lapse photography... The former is done with a movie camera, the later by combining photographs...

Difference? Look here. There is a video on the site. It's really a very horrible comparison though, but I couldn't find anything else. It's a interesting question that you raise, actually.

http://www.ameotoko.com/blog/2011/2/1/comparing-time-lapse-to-time-compressed-video.html

Where a standard video camera takes video at 24 to 30 frames per second, time-lapse photography for many cameras happens at one frame per second or even slower.

For extended periods, it is probably better to use multiple photographs... But I'm not sure if the eye can discern differences between a quickened movie and time lapse photography done for the same period and compressed into the same time frame... I'm thinking that a hastened movie would still show more smoothness than time lapse photography; that said, running a video camera for 24 hours is quite different from taking multiple frames for 24 hours at the same spot, and the latter is probably more convenient for purposes. The former is not as do-able as the latter.

Last edited:
If you have one hour of video that you want to show in 30 seconds, for example, compressed works well and timelapse might work equally well.

However, if you have many hours of activity, timelapse becomes the only way to go unless you can somehow stream the video off the camera.

From: http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikond90club/discuss/72157625833692747/

title your thread properly bro'

i feel bad already having to point this out and looking like a clarity policeman

my... little input here.

with regards to video speeding VS time lapse, the effect can be slightly different.

as mentioned by edu, video speeds range from 24 FPS to 30fps. so ur shutter speed is roughly 1/30 of a sec

as for time lapse, each shot can go pretty long, so u get longer blurs, if each shot is exposed for 5 secs. OR IT CAN GO VERY SHORT TOO

For the Long Exposure time lapse vs Video
as for how u "speed up" a video, most video format are still 24fps/30fps. what they really do is take individual frames with a gap of say... 20 frames in between and remove them.

so... consider the following shot within the same time period

X1X2X3X4X5X6
vs a photo
A1..............A2

where each number is 1 shot and the ... in between represents that the frame is still being exposed

in a video format, how it would go at 24FPS

A1 A2 A3 A4 A5
X1 X6 x11 x16

u get the idea

as to how u might differentiate? i could raise some possibilities...

1: movement. if ur exposure is long, moving objects tend to disappear in the photo.
2: blur. if an object is reflective enough, u can see the streaks.

tat is if my understanding is correct.

IE:

if i do a timelapse of 1 min per shot, for a sunset, VS a video and compress, with small amount of ppl strolling by

in the time lapse, i wont see the people appearing, the clouds may look more elongated/blurred. in a compressed video, the people should still appear as figures.

As for when the shutter speed is short/similiar to a video

there will be no visible difference. a photo taken at 1/30 of a sec in 1 sec interval, compared to a video camera where each frame is exposed at 1/30, taken from 1st frame of each 1 sec interval will look the same.

so... consider the following shot within the same time period

X1X2X3X4X5X6
vs a photo
A1________A2

where each number is 1 shot and the shots in both video and photo are exposed the same time.

in a video format, how it would go at 24FPS

A1 A2 A3 A4 A5
X1 X6 x11 x16

Last edited: