How to create white border on photographs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemystery

Mar 31, 2008
Hey Guys,

Just have some queries. Thanks for helping out.

1) I usually use the custom shape tool in adobe photoshop cs to create the white border frame...Is that correct? What is the proper way of doing it, without affecting the size, or eating into the photo? Is there a way for me to decide the thickness of the border?

2) If I were to go to a photo lab...and request them to do the border for me, Do I have to crop my photo to just nice, or leave some allowance for the border to "eat" into the photo.

3) I have a photograph which I have cropped to 4:5 ratio to remove unecessary clutter in the original 2:3 ratio. Apparently, one of my photo instructors "violently" disproved of what I did. What's the reason behind it? How can I salvage the photo, if I were to mount it on an
A3 black board. Is it possible for a 4:5 ratio for the inner photo and to have a 3:2 ratio for the outer white border? -
wider left and right sides as compared to the top and bottom.

Thanks for in advance for helping out and viewing! :)

Last edited:

Thanks for the reply. I've already seen it...Was thinking of letting the photolab do the job...hence the questions...

1) Do I have to crop my photo to just nice, or leave some allowance for the border to "eat" into the photo. (For the photolab to do the job)

3) I have a photograph which I have cropped to 4:5 ratio to remove unecessary clutter in the original 2:3 ratio. Apparently, one of my photo instructors "violently" disproved of what I did. What's the reason behind it? How can I salvage the photo, if I were to mount it on an
A3 black board. Is it possible for a 4:5 ratio for the inner photo and to have a 3:2 ratio for the outer white border? -
wider left and right sides as compared to the top and bottom.:dunno:

1) if the ratio is 2:3 or as shot. theres no need to crop
just tell the shop u want to add in white border

Thanks for the reply. I've already seen it...Was thinking of letting the photolab do the job...hence the questions...

1) Do I have to crop my photo to just nice, or leave some allowance for the border to "eat" into the photo. (For the photolab to do the job)

wider left and right sides as compared to the top and bottom.:dunno:

1. Just tell the lab what you have, and how you want it to be printed.

3. If there are rules, you have to follow, else you can do what you think best.
Out of aspect ratio photo, if not attractive, hard to please people.:think:
Only the "disproved" instructor can tell you the reason.
In general, the four borders of the photo has to be in equal thickness, then you mount it on the black board.

I record my own action to expand the canvas size relative to the photo and create a layer and fill it with a colour with the photograph infront

Status
Not open for further replies.