How to create a good HDR photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Nightmare.

I am using Photomatix 3.0
However, whenever I used CR2 format and use the HDR function, I get a purple tint.
I tried to change and play around with the settings but somehow nothing works.
In the end, jpeg give me the best results.

Care the share what's a good way of processing? I used CS3 merge HDR function but the picture turns out more dull then better. Maybe its really my lack of knowledge with regards to photomatix and CS3.

Maybe if i send you the 3 raw files of the picture i take, could u try processing it to share?
Thanks

Shyan
either manual layering like i mentioned,

or go easy on photomatix strength, every set of hdr has its own individual setting.. a lot of people just push the strength to max but if the scene isn't suitable for extreme detail (few are) then you end up with a lot of funny lighting.

you can upload it on yousendit.com and pm me the link, i will reply you with the detailed workflow. cheers.

would just like to ask what other HDR programs are there that are fully functional (with details enhancer) and free? Im just a student, don't want to spend money on it haha :D

i have mentioned this a few times already.

there is an open source hdr program. google is your best friend, do a search for "open source hdr" and you should get it quickly, it's a gibberish name that i am tired of searching for everytime.

2868120420_cb88103d16_o.jpg

this photo was created using a single raw file. i tweaked using the curve in ps2 to create an under/over exposed shot. would like to seek an opinion on the following?

1. is the colour natural?
2. i tried to lift the shadow of the building on a bright day but the effect turn out not right. how can this be done?
3. the cloud was much better (lighter) colour in the jpeg but look gloomy in this hdr shot. how to make the cloud look natural.

i usually use hdr on building as i do a lot of building shots. below are some of the hdr shots i did in tiong bahru using single raw file. i usually go for "blue sky" effect as i find a good-coloured sky really bring out the best in a building shot.

comments pertaining to the above and other relevant points are welcome. i have being using hdr for three months.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/2844785913_9d8e4f7c89_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/2700533940_a6e56a4ec0_b.jpg

1. is the colour natural?
the shadows on the building are abit too bright:)
2. i tried to lift the shadow of the building on a bright day but the effect turn out not right. how can this be done?
let them be darker... they look weird because they are abit too bright... HDR doesn't mean everything should look brighter... still have to make sure dark areas look dark and bright areas look bright... everything should look "natural", and contrast between shadowed areas, midtone areas and highlights should still feel "natural"... unless one is creating an abstract "artistic" image... :)
3. the cloud was much better (lighter) colour in the jpeg but look gloomy in this hdr shot. how to make the cloud look natural.
the easiest way would be to select the sky and manually tweak it :)

Hi all,

Could you all take a look at this...my first HDR which I didn't cringe while looking at.
I know for sure there are lots of room for improvement, so will definitely appreciate lots of c&c..

Shot is taken from East Bank of the Dead Sea overlooking the West Bank last week.

cheers!

dead_sea_HDR_downsize3.jpg

Last edited:
I think its an impossible task to show you how to create a good HDR. The reason is, what is a good HDR? This can be debated til cow comes home...:bsmilie::dunno:

the shadows on the building are abit too bright:)
let them be darker... they look weird because they are abit too bright... HDR doesn't mean everything should look brighter... still have to make sure dark areas look dark and bright areas look bright... everything should look "natural", and contrast between shadowed areas, midtone areas and highlights should still feel "natural"... unless one is creating an abstract "artistic" image... :)
the easiest way would be to select the sky and manually tweak it :)

RBK, thanks for the comments and advice. i am going for the natural look but sometime got taken in by the extreme range of color possibility of hdr. hence, the photo turns out looking more like an "art" piece ahemm.... :bsmilie:

from your comment on tweaking the sky separately, it seems that ps and hdr got to work hand in hand and selective to be "effective" in bringing out the best of a photo. i will remember that.

Thanks, again. :)

Hi all,

Could you all take a look at this...my first HDR which I didn't cringe while looking at.
I know for sure there are lots of room for improvement, so will definitely appreciate lots of c&c..

Shot is taken from East Bank of the Dead Sea overlooking the West Bank last week.

cheers!

the foreground and background seems washout.

Hi all,

cheers!

i am not sure it is my lcd monitor. the foreground details seems washout.

Thanks Nightmare.

I am using Photomatix 3.0
However, whenever I used CR2 format and use the HDR function, I get a purple tint.
I tried to change and play around with the settings but somehow nothing works.
In the end, jpeg give me the best results.

Care the share what's a good way of processing? I used CS3 merge HDR function but the picture turns out more dull then better. Maybe its really my lack of knowledge with regards to photomatix and CS3.

Maybe if i send you the 3 raw files of the picture i take, could u try processing it to share?
Thanks

Shyan

From the last I trialled Photomatix

How about try to keep the strength to a low minimum. The higher strength tends to start causing wierd halos and overdoing the shadow - highlight distribution. Unless u r going for some funky art.

I find the saturation of highlights can cause purpling of clouds.

Ryan

After reading this thread, I am interested to try some HDR photos. May I know is buying online the only way to get this product or I can get it in from some of the shops in Funan Centre or Sin Lim Square? Thanks.:)

I think its an impossible task to show you how to create a good HDR. The reason is, what is a good HDR? This can be debated til cow comes home...:bsmilie::dunno:

Something that is realistic to the eye.

After reading this thread, I am interested to try some HDR photos. May I know is buying online the only way to get this product or I can get it in from some of the shops in Funan Centre or Sin Lim Square? Thanks.:)

I think only online. More convenient also.

Ryan

i am not sure it is my lcd monitor. the foreground details seems washout.

err...washout means what huh? :p

okie, more C&C anyone to confirm? Please give me your advice how I could improve it...

thanks hor :angel:

My opinion of HDR is that different people would prefer different things. I've done a few HDRs and my friend say they like it, but I don't. It's very difficult to say what is a good HDR or not, and I'm not referring to composition etc. My take is that with trial and error, one would find the "best" adjustment parameters - some would like it to be "natural", others like the surreal effect of HDR. No right, no wrong. If you are an artist - how do you really want to represent your image? What's wrong with a bit of surreal effect that evokes imagination? If one like the simple basic stuff, then HDR may not be that swell. If everyone is a follower, then there's no diversity. Be true to yourself. Be cool.

Last edited:
This is only one school of thought...thats why I say this topic can be argued til the cow comes home.:bsmilie:

Anyway, its a tool, if you find out the characteristics of the HDR effects on both extreme, one can make use of it (like using both sides of a double edged sword). I use HDR for both style for different feel and effect I need. But I must agree that making it natural is more difficult.:bsmilie:

Something that is realistic to the eye.

My sentiments exactly. Each to his style and one can use both effects.:)

My opinion of HDR is that different people would prefer different things. I've done a few HDRs and my friend say they like it, but I don't. It's very difficult to say what is a good HDR or not, and I'm not referring to composition etc. My take is that with trial and error, one would find the "best" adjustment parameters - some would like it to be "natural", others like the surreal effect of HDR. No right, no wrong. If you are an artist - how do you really want to represent your image? What's wrong with a bit of surreal effect that evokes imagination? If one like the simple basic stuff, then HDR may not be that swell. If everyone is a follower, then there's no diversity. Be true to yourself. Be cool.

Right, playing around with Photoacute and Lightzone. Which looks more natural?

89273-1223391282-0.jpg

89273-1223391286-0.jpg

none, your merlion is haloing and glowing with an unnatural light.

this scene , frankly, with the sun seemingly present in the bottom right corner, is probably not apt for photomatix, if you MUST see the merlion details, then you will get haloing, i suspect. even if you use manual layering.

Status
Not open for further replies.