Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyesthruthelens

Deregistered
Sep 3, 2003
Sengkang
Visit site
Hi,
I always wanted to put few of my photo shots into a single frame.. how is it done on the photoshop? ;)

Bali_sm.jpg

not sure if this is what you are talking about? or are you referring to merging / superimposing / stitching of pictures together?

attached above is a collage of pictures of mine when i was on holiday in bali (sorry, reduced it a little too much... but you get the picture)

An easy way would be to use the layers in Photoshop.

You pull in your photos, one by one. Resize them accordingly to the size that you want. However, you would need to be familiar with "Layers" in Photoshop.
Need further help, just post here. ;)

eyesthruthelens - as adiemus pointed out, it is actually quite easy to do in PS. i'm no pro, but let me see if i can share a quick step-by-step to get you started... others can chip in / correct me thereafter...

1 create new file of desired size (i usually choose 4x6 for printing on 4R)
2 opening a picture which you would like to include in the collage
3 drag-and-drop the pic onto the new canvas (don't be surpirsed if the dropped pic turns up extremely large)
4 on the new canvas, choose the layer which is the picture which you just dragged over, and use free transformation / crop to adjust the size of your pic on that layer, such that it fits into your over scheme of things (each pic dragged over will be on its own layer*)
5 repeat 2-4 until siow!! :confused:

the rest is really up to your own imagination on how the picture is put the pictures together - or how you want to tell a story / share your pcitures.... helps to have that overall concept / theme before you start (i suppose it should be called step 0).

these are just general steps to act as a guide, you can use your imagination in and between these steps to enhance your pic. i often enjoy doing this, esp for wedding photos and parties, but have to warn you that it can soak up hours upon hours!!!

i hope this helps :sweat: do share with us how it turns out...

* note that the layers which are higher will superimpose lower layers, simply drag-and-drop the layers on the layer view to prioritise them.

Cactus jACK said:
eyesthruthelens - as adiemus pointed out, it is actually quite easy to do in PS. i'm no pro, but let me see if i can share a quick step-by-step to get you started... others can chip in / correct me thereafter...

1 create new file of desired size (i usually choose 4x6 for printing on 4R)
2 opening a picture which you would like to include in the collage
3 drag-and-drop the pic onto the new canvas (don't be surpirsed if the dropped pic turns up extremely large)
4 on the new canvas, choose the layer which is the picture which you just dragged over, and use free transformation / crop to adjust the size of your pic on that layer, such that it fits into your over scheme of things (each pic dragged over will be on its own layer*)
5 repeat 2-4 until siow!! :confused:

the rest is really up to your own imagination on how the picture is put the pictures together - or how you want to tell a story / share your pcitures.... helps to have that overall concept / theme before you start (i suppose it should be called step 0).

these are just general steps to act as a guide, you can use your imagination in and between these steps to enhance your pic. i often enjoy doing this, esp for wedding photos and parties, but have to warn you that it can soak up hours upon hours!!!

i hope this helps :sweat: do share with us how it turns out...

* note that the layers which are higher will superimpose lower layers, simply drag-and-drop the layers on the layer view to prioritise them.

After step 3 I'm ost.. how you resize the photo in step 4? :confused:

Eyesthruthelens said:
no worries...

in step 4 you are working on the new file where you want to gather all the photos, this could be quite confusing when you have lost of photos, thus lot of layers. but one layer at a time...

4a make sure that you have your layer palette up (windows menu -> [tick] layers).
4b in the layers palette, make sure that you have highlighted the layer which has the picture which you want to edit.*
4c to edit it go edit -> transform or free transform, this would allow you to edit (rotating / resizing / skewing) just that layer.**
4d once you are done with editing, move the picture on this layer to the position which you would like it in the picture.

* to check you can choose the move tool (arrow) on your tool palette, you can drag the picture. once done, you simply undo the move.
** i think that i was wrong to advise you that you can crop in the layer, as it might crop the whole "new" picture. instead, what i did was to do the cropping in a temp picture (don't want to do on original incase i accidentally save) and then drag onto the new pic.

hope this helps... i'm not really good at explaining these things... i'm on who's more "try and see how" than read instruction manuals!! :bsmilie:

hi Cactus Jack

How do you drag and drop pictures in your step 3? Hv always wanted to do a collage but dunno how.

Tks

Eric

kthan said:
How do you drag and drop pictures in your step 3? Hv always wanted to do a collage but dunno how.
hi eric, i very pai seh, i'm no expert... i'm also here to learn!! but i'll share what i know (hopefully it's more right than wrong).

easy way to drag-and-drop
3a ensure that you can see both the new and the original photos in your workspace.*
3b while viewing the original photo, choose the move tool (arrow) on your tool palette (left-side of the workspace). you would notice that when you click and hold, you would be dragging the photo.
3c now all you do is drag-and-drop it onto the new canvas which you are working on. this would create a new layer with the original photo on your new canvas.

goto step 4 :faint:

note that by default, the new layer which was dragged over would be the at the top. i have earlier mentioned about re-ordering, in case there are any overlaps in the pictures on the layers.

just another word on cropping and resizing. i have often found it useful to note the size canvas, e.g. if the height of your canvas is 2048, and you want 2 equal layers of collages, make sure to resize or crop to 1024. this would minimize guess work when arranging your collages.

hope this helps. have fun doing them!! :thumbsup:

do share your finished work with the rest of us!!

* i do this on a mac, so it may be a little different on a pc? they do not have to be nicely tiled, but make sure that at least part of the new photo can be seen when you view the original photo.

hi catus jack

tks for sharing. I tried the arrow (which is the path selection tool, dunno if = to move tool). When I click and drag, the photo doesn't move. :dunno:

Tks for your help anyway. PS may work differently in Mac, I dunno.

Eric

kthan said:
... I tried the arrow (which is the path selection tool, dunno if = to move tool). When I click and drag, the photo doesn't move. :dunno:
hi eric,

i tried it on my PS elements on my PC... and it appears to work as well. it is the move tool, but what i noticed is that the picture is not seen to be dragged, but keep the mouse left button down, and then release when you are over the new canvas (took some screenshots below... hope they help).

4.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

kthan said:
hi catus jack

tks for sharing. I tried the arrow (which is the path selection tool, dunno if = to move tool). When I click and drag, the photo doesn't move. :dunno:

Tks for your help anyway. PS may work differently in Mac, I dunno.

Eric

You need to select all on the photo before dragging.. do a ctrl+a.
:)

tks fellas.....i click the wrong tool. The arrow, instead of the arrow with a +.

I'll try again tonite. Really appreciate all your assistance.

If I were to put a photo on top of another.... how can I drop a shadow of the top photo in PS?

Eyesthruthelens said:

dunno whether its a bit too late to teach but then u can use ctrl T to resize the image. i think thats the easiest way
cheers
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.