How to change the file size of an image?

Status
Not open for further replies.

polo_pro10

May 16, 2004
Rosyth Rd
photobucket.com
Hi, I'm a newbie to photoshop, so wld like to listen to big bros & sis advice. :)
My prob is tat if I wanna put a pic in CS pics gallery, I wld need to reduce the file size to 99Kb, but how do i change the file size quickly? Wat I usually do is tat i will resize the image by changing the width, but i do not know how to see if it is below 99kb & so wat i do is tat i will change it & then save it, then go to My Pic in windows to checked the size, & if it is still not below 99kb, I will have to estimate the size again & reopen it in photoshop to change the size until I get it right! :angry: :sweatsm: So is there any quicker way in photoshop to just change the file size? or how do I read in resize image the file size which i change? :think:

Thanks in advance! ;)

Go to image>image size.

You can change the resolution if you are not going for print use just for screen preview set to 72dpi "remember to unclick the "constrain proportions"

just crop it to 600 at the longest end and use "save as web" under file menu (or ctrl-shift-alt-s).

by default it's at gif. change it to jpg on one of the drop down boxes on the top right hand of the window and have a look at the file size in kb and the borrom left status bar. usually an image with it's longest end at 600, saved for web, will be under 100k. :)

zerofour said:
You can change the resolution if you are not going for print use just for screen preview set to 72dpi "remember to unclick the "constrain proportions"

"The screen displays at 72 DPI" is just a myth.
There is no rule that it must be 72 DPI for web use. No matter it's 1 DPI or 1000 DPI, the screen still displays at 1 pixel per point.

AReality said:
"The screen displays at 72 DPI" is just a myth.
There is no rule that it must be 72 DPI for web use. No matter it's 1 DPI or 1000 DPI, the screen still displays at 1 pixel per point.
yeap.. just waiting for that to come out..

i think the 72dpi is becos SOMEONE out there thot that 72 pixels (or points?) on his monitor looks like 1 inch to him... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.