How to bring swiss army knife overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vzoom

Dec 10, 2009
Hey all, I am going on an Europe backpacking trip this May. My question is how do I bring a swiss army knife with me if I have only one backpack and I intend to bring it up the plane. I'm concerned about airport security checks. Travel pros, please enlighten me. Thks in advance!

you can't.

sharp instruments are banned on-board.

anyone who gives you a reliable method will be aiding you in committing a crime.

hey night86mare, thks for the quick response. Is it ok then to check-in my luggage? btw I've been following your posts, still new to photography and a lot to learn.

hey night86mare, thks for the quick response. Is it ok then to check-in my luggage? btw I've been following your posts, still new to photography and a lot to learn.

yes, it can be put into your check-in luggage because well, you can't really use it to hijack a plane. that's the main reason why they disallow sharp objects.

since it's a swiss army knife, it will be sheathed, it shouldn't be any problem. :)

here's a link from TSA:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4

the americans are generally more paranoid when it comes to flight safety for good reasons.... so whatever goes for them will more likely than not go for the europeans.

Last edited:
only way is to check in your luggage. if you have a really big backpack prepared for a backpacking trip, chances are it won't be within the hand carry luggage size/weight limit anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.