How to be a wedding photographer??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I carry my 2nd cam with me coz i don't want to leave it in the bag and somebody steals it, i mean during the banquet. :D Just last week a videographer's 2nd cam kena stolen, Pana GS400 or something, pretty high-end....so it's pretty sim tia. He is using it for those "interview sessions", whereby a $100 freelance interview will be running around to get the cuts.

Somemore professional, tot he shd have known better. Also heard somebody's 2K L lens got stolen before, but that's what i heard can't confirm.

I don't even leave my ipod nano in the bag during the banquet (bag is always under the stage, but basically empty other than the diffuser and lens tissue, stuff....)

2100 said:
I carry my 2nd cam with me coz i don't want to leave it in the bag and somebody steals it, i mean during the banquet. :D Just last week a videographer's 2nd cam kena stolen, Pana GS400 or something, pretty high-end....so it's pretty sim tia. He is using it for those "interview sessions", whereby a $100 freelance interview will be running around to get the cuts.

Somemore professional, tot he shd have known better. Also heard somebody's 2K L lens got stolen before, but that's what i heard can't confirm.

I don't even leave my ipod nano in the bag during the banquet (bag is always under the stage, but basically empty other than the diffuser and lens tissue, stuff....)

gosh.. those pple who steals such stuffs really v bad..

jOhO said:
here's my "life story" of a weddnig photographer.

started out shooting three unpaid (only by angpow) weddings b4 i but the bullet and decided to go solo, so got my first solo wedding for i think it was $600. so the first 3 free + 1 paid wedding spans over hmm.. 6 months?

before that i was more or less OK with technical aspects of photography. equipment used was a non-pro dslr with non-pro lenses (if i remember correctly it was an s2 pro with afs24-85, sb80dx, back up with cp5700)

all this was done while i was working full time. while i got more weddings to shoot, it was still very little, as i was new and not well known. so within 12 months i think i shot at most 15 paid weddings, mostly via word of mouth. also sometime durnig these 12 months, i selected a couple's wedding to print as portfolio, and i also did a collage album of selected couples to use as a portfolio or showcase, always display your best work. i was lucky to come from a graphic design background so layout was quite easy for me.

the second year got more serious, i started to get mentioned in bridal forums but still worked off the venerable clubsnap webspace gallery as my online portfolio. nothing professional, but it gets the job done, and was never or seldom down (thanx clubsnap!!)

i started post whoring my pics, with couples' permission. to get known, u have to show ur pics, thick skin abit. but skin cannot too thick until lousy pics also post and hope for the best. this is one thing i cannot stress more, if your pics don't pass IN YOUR EYES, don't expect it to pass other pple's. couple that statement with another : be your own harshest critic, and you now know how i push myself.

i remember during my first few solo weddings, i was sh!tting my pants during the first march in, didn't catch probably how? they walk too fast then blur how? the spot light come on then exposure gone how? i was a total wreck ESPECIALLY at the first march in, but that's when good nerves and determination comes in. another thing to take note is that you cannot be self-conscious. if you are constantly thinking that pple are looking at wat u are doing and scrutinising you, u put extra unnecessary stress on yourself.

the rest of it is pretty much the same with anything in life. u want something u gotta go get it. it's not gonna land on your lap. technical stuff like marketing skills, ps skills, shooting skills all can learn and train, but attitude have to be from within. passion. and as jon has mentioned, you have to LIKE weddings THEN u have to like running a business.

i think i've shared this on CS b4.. but i'll say this again.

there were a couple of times during the speech at the banquet that it was so touching that i found myself listening intently to the couple, until i FORGOT to shoot. i was so consumed with the emotion that filled the whole room that i forgot i was the photographer. fortunately, i only missed a few tears from the mother and sisters, but recovered quickly enough to continue shooting.

i remember one speech vividly, where the bride was deeply grateful for her father for brining up three daughters single-handedly as her mother had passed on when she was very young. the father never remarried to respect his late wife. she was overjoyed that her father did such a great job of painstakingly bringing three girls up, but at the same time in tears that her mother wasn't around to witness the event. tears flowed unabatedly.

it is a very HUMANE subject, love. coupled with the complications of photography and running a business; this is NOT for everyone. i hope no one takes it lightly that "weddings are easy to make a quick buck". if you do not stress shooting a wedding, u are not giving due respect to a couple's once in a lifetime most important event.

p/s i'd like to mention against the concensus that i NEVER followed anyone to learn from them (the free shoots as second photographer was just a watch and see, i never did talk much to the main photog for fear of disturbing him). yes i've taken heed from advise from wedding photographers, and viewed images from them to see how weddnigs are shot, but i NEVER did follow a pro to specifically learn how he shoots. i see at least ONE advantage in that, and that is my style evolved by itself, not necessarily following anyone becos i never had that chance. of course, following a pro could help more than the way i did it, i don't disagree.

wah bro............. v good write up/advise... cheers.....

Will03 said:
Cannot help it, dog eat dog world out there. Even for wedding couples most are good, but after shooting a lot bound to meet some bad ones. Just have to protect yourself. Really harsh world out there after running around meeting so many people.

Will03 said:

tot you post here to share your secret on how to be wedding and potraits guru. :sticktong

hmmm... i think all the seniors here r all so good to teach/tell us so many stuffs...
.:ThumbS uP foR THEM!!!!:. =P

Joey91, u have open such a gd thread that benefit all of us who is new to all this!!! <ThumbS uP...>

HUrray foR thiS siTe... Cs roKS...

CYRN said:
tot you post here to share your secret on how to be wedding and potraits guru. :sticktong

i not qualified lah..

shuee88 said:
hmmm... i think all the seniors here r all so good to teach/tell us so many stuffs...
.:ThumbS uP foR THEM!!!!:. =P

Joey91, u have open such a gd thread that benefit all of us who is new to all this!!! <ThumbS uP...>

HUrray foR thiS siTe... Cs roKS...

yup... :D

Errz said:
just curious. Carrying 2 camera bodies can blend in easier than someone with vest + 1 camera?

wearing what the guest wears blends in easier than wearing what is outstanding.

carry 2 cameras is less noticeable than wearing a 'bunny' suit right?

people will first judge how you look and what you wear before they see what cameras and how you use.

eyes are the soul of the body, when i want to make a connection for my pictures i look at them first, before rising my cameras, they only react to my eye connect before they say, oh its a "cortox"!

if you dress or smell badly, some people will avoid you as they do not want to be seen with you, be associated with you. You may not be able to take the kind of photos you want, esp traditional shots.

Furthermore if you dress in black you can effective break your camera shape and blend better, unless you have a pink "lecia".

dressing appropriately also shows professionalism :)

i heard from my hk fren when he was travelling at japan, he saw the pro photographer japan all are suit in black coat also a tie when taking the weddings shoots... like the Man in Black... althrough is a gal photographer...
too pity he did't take any pics of them... :think: i was thinking, what abt summer times?? still in suits?? :dunno:

Belle&Sebastain said:
wearing what the guest wears blends in easier than wearing what is outstanding.

carry 2 cameras is less noticeable than wearing a 'bunny' suit right?

people will first judge how you look and what you wear before they see what cameras and how you use.

eyes are the soul of the body, when i want to make a connection for my pictures i look at them first, before rising my cameras, they only react to my eye connect before they say, oh its a "cortox"!

if you dress or smell badly, some people will avoid you as they do not want to be seen with you, be associated with you. You may not be able to take the kind of photos you want, esp traditional shots.

Furthermore if you dress in black you can effective break your camera shape and blend better, unless you have a pink "lecia".

ic ic . :thumbsup:

joey91 said:
i heard from my hk fren when he was travelling at japan, he saw the pro photographer japan all are suit in black coat also a tie when taking the weddings shoots... like the Man in Black... althrough is a gal photographer...
too pity he did't take any pics of them... :think: i was thinking, what abt summer times?? still in suits?? :dunno:
Pro Photog in US wear tux shoot weddings, s'pore's camera-men wear slippers take photos in weddings.

Always think how you want your clients to view you. If you want to charge a professional fee you better dress like one. Events are a type of gathering and everyone should respect the host wishes.

i do have beach parties where everyone needs to be in a abercombie outfit and thoose formal dinners with a suit and tie. Dress for the event, and please no velcro slippers!

I agree that it is very "out" when one is in bermudas + T-shirt esp during the banquet. Met one VG last nite like that.....somemore with registered company one.

woo gained alot of knowledge reading this. took me bout 30 mins to read 4 pages. time spent but well worth

Status
Not open for further replies.