how should i utilise my 50mm f/1.8 lens?

i love the 50 1.8... use it all the time~!!

you can do wonders if you knew..

just bring it out, and use it as if its the only lens you have..

it was the only lens i had for 6 half a year.. before i started renting lens to shoot with..

where can i rent lens to shoot? is it from friends, or is there shops in SG that provides rental of lens?
and and is there any difficulty that you met while only mounting that 50mm prime lens for that long period? mind sharing ;)

where can i rent lens to shoot? is it from friends, or is there shops in SG that provides rental of lens?
and and is there any difficulty that you met while only mounting that 50mm prime lens for that long period? mind sharing ;)
you can check out the camera equipment rental service at Mass Sales

As what I mentioned in a parallel thread of yours, I think most of us here buy when we see a need/find a limitation with equipment that we need to overcome. On the other hand, you have a piece of equipment and then figuring out what to do with it... :think:

Best is just go out and shoot with it. Force yourself to use the 50 f/1.8 and don't change lens. You will get used to it eventually. Otherwise, you will keep depending on zoom. Use a smaller aperture first and when you get used to how to focus with this lens, then move to larger apertures which have much shallower focus for things (DOF).

hey all.

gotten my 50mm f/1.8 lens for quite a while. in fact, its my dad who bought it when he got the 550D.

kind of underutilise it nowadays, didnt really use it. in the dry cabi for quite sometime, and only used it for the fun of bokeh effect. anyway anyone can share ideas how "what situation /when /how" to utilise it,so that i dont waste the beauty in the cabi?:sticktong

Go out and shoot more with it. You wouldn't know how much you would have missed. :cool:

you can borrow from frens if they are willing to lend...

or just check out the rental services under commercial services section of the forum...

using the 50 is great for shooting almost anything...

the only drawback or problem that you will likely to encounter is when trying to take group shots... you have to be far enough from ur group to get everyone within the photo... and also cannot open aperture too wide or in-focus distance will cause some people to be blur...

but so long as you're able to move, you can move backwards, to counter the tight angle issue.. and so long as you have sufficient lighting you don't need to open aperture all the way, (so either, find a brighter place, increase ISO, use flash, make sure they are all at e same distance from the camera.. ie. no front row/back row..)

but i really love using the lens.. awesome candid portraits..

As what I mentioned in a parallel thread of yours, I think most of us here buy when we see a need/find a limitation with equipment that we need to overcome. On the other hand, you have a piece of equipment and then figuring out what to do with it... :think:

Best is just go out and shoot with it. Force yourself to use the 50 f/1.8 and don't change lens. You will get used to it eventually. Otherwise, you will keep depending on zoom. Use a smaller aperture first and when you get used to how to focus with this lens, then move to larger apertures which have much shallower focus for things (DOF).

hmmmm thanks on this. will do

you can borrow from frens if they are willing to lend...

or just check out the rental services under commercial services section of the forum...

using the 50 is great for shooting almost anything...

the only drawback or problem that you will likely to encounter is when trying to take group shots... you have to be far enough from ur group to get everyone within the photo... and also cannot open aperture too wide or in-focus distance will cause some people to be blur...

but so long as you're able to move, you can move backwards, to counter the tight angle issue.. and so long as you have sufficient lighting you don't need to open aperture all the way, (so either, find a brighter place, increase ISO, use flash, make sure they are all at e same distance from the camera.. ie. no front row/back row..)

but i really love using the lens.. awesome candid portraits..

thanks for sharing. will do

thru out the history, many great artists produce their best work when only they have limited resource, due to the limitation they faced, they push their creativity to a greater height.

i love this answer...can i use it in my signature?

this thread really gave quite a lot of insight on this 50mm prime lens

this thread really gave quite a lot of insight on this 50mm prime lens

haha yeah.. same here. when i started this, my mind was, why did my dad even bought this prime lens that has so much restriction.

and with this thread started, the lens got out of the dry cabi,and is now firing frequently liao

haha yeah.. same here. when i started this, my mind was, why did my dad even bought this prime lens that has so much restriction.

and with this thread started, the lens got out of the dry cabi,and is now firing frequently liao

actually i don't feel that its a restriction.. its more of a specialized purpose piece of equipment... its like buying those multi purpose device and those device that is only meant to do one thing...