How often have you use 1/1 for your flash setting?

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
Basically full power.

any particular scenarios in which you would risk the color gel melting?

pretty much only when i want to blind the subject haha.

no experience with gels so can't comment more.

Depend on the distance and effect you like to achieve.

I often use it only to overpower the sun or use it at night as floodlights..

No issues with my gels.

Depend on the distance and effect you like to achieve.

I often use it only to overpower the sun or use it at night as floodlights..

No issues with my gels.

Bro, what gel are you using???

I never use 1/1 before. Haha.

i once absentmindedly put my hand infront my 580 and fired 1/1. lucky for glove, or else i think will kenna burn. my glove got singed. could see a small cute puff of smoke.

Bro, what gel are you using???

I am using the Rosco strobist gel kit.

Had receive some inquiries asking for sample pix of how power is the 580EX2 as floodlights:

Sample (1 x 580EX2 was placed across the pool):

IMG_9092x-1.jpg

I am using the Rosco strobist gel kit.
Had receive some inquiries asking for sample pix of how power is the 580EX2 as floodlights:

So far, I only find honl gels in CP.... I thinking of going and try out Gel too.....

Did you use any gel for the photo you shot??? Look like blue or something over the flash... :think:

1/1 so power meh? :sweatsm:

my 430 exii could give a small chaota smell to glove

my 580 singed the glove

you could try at home, 1/1 blast into ur arm, direct contact. i think u can get a nice rectangle sunburn;)

So far, I only find honl gels in CP.... I thinking of going and try out Gel too.....

Did you use any gel for the photo you shot??? Look like blue or something over the flash... :think:

He might have used CTO gel for highlights. Also shot at 1/1, GN58 with rosco gels without any problems. As long you leave a gap for gas and heat to escape, you'll lower the risks of melting gels.

Last edited:

The blue is from tungsten WB, no gel on floodlights. CTO 1/2 & 1/4 gel on Brolly box, softbox and snoot.

Total 4 speedlight were used for this shot. Hope it helps. :)

Also shot at 1/1, GN58 with rosco gels without any problems. As long you leave a gap for gas and heat to escape, you'll lower the risks of melting gels.

My Rosco gels come with it's own gel holder... so far I have yet to see it "melt" before... :think:

He might have used CTO gel for highlights. Also shot at 1/1, GN58 with rosco gels without any problems. As long you leave a gap for gas and heat to escape, you'll lower the risks of melting gels.

What is CTO?????

What if there's no gap?? The gel will melt??? No experience with gel at all..... :dunno:

The blue is from tungsten WB, no gel on floodlights. CTO 1/2 & 1/4 gel on Brolly box, softbox and snoot.

My Rosco gels come with it's own gel holder... so far I have yet to see it "melt" before... :think:

How does gels work for CTO???? I am not sure how to find a site to read this up on.... could not find any site......

I was looking at the Fxtra from lumiquest... but this is not available in SG yet..... :)

Not literally "melt" but it may cause deformation.. that is what i assume because all thermoplastics reacts that way to heat. Never seen any flash gels deform yet though..

How does gels work for CTO???? I am not sure how to find a site to read this up on.... could not find any site......

I was looking at the Fxtra from lumiquest... but this is not available in SG yet..... :)

a Full CTO (bluish in colour) converts your flash WB from 5500K to 2900K approx. Then a Full CTB (orangy in colour) converts from 5500K to 8000K approx.

correct me if i'm wrong! ;p