How Much Money Do You Need in Singapore To Live Comfortable Nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that mean I have to start dating uncles?
*cringe*
sugar daddy much?
or a rich old man who's dyin soon and wills everything to me..... :nono:

why does that emoticon look like its wagging a middle finger? or is it me? :bsmilie::nono:

I guess, I lament the fact that we need so much more these days just to do rather simple things. I emphatise with people in my office who take home 1k or less, and how they can ek out a living.

yup. In the same office you have people earning 10k, and people earning 1.8k. The lifestyle is very different. Those people with little pay needs to think long and hard b4 even buying a $80 wireless mouse..... while other people can spend $4k on DSLRs in a blink of an eye.

really quite different lifestyles.....

when i first started work, after saving, spending on expenses etc.. i always felt poor.

10 years later, pay has gone up, toys have gotten more expensive, but still feel as poor....
i help out at a constituency, meet a lot of families who get by on 1k or soemtimes even less.. and these can be big famlies.

but i know people ... even 20k is not enough..

important thing is live within your means, and enjoy wha life has to offer. if there is one thing i have learnt in this life, it is that money really does not buy happiness.

all the really fun things i do now, have nothing to do with how much one earns.

10K/month how to buy HDB? :dunno:

you have many options, bit the basic two options are:

a) buy resale
b) buy ur hdb just before ur combine income reach $8k total

there is still another option, but is viewed as "illegal" so i shall not state here.

"It's not how much u earn, it's how much u save" that matters nowadays.
If u really think abt it, even though u get pay increment over last 3 years, ur savings per month may not have increased.

i see pple earning $5k a month, saving less than pple who earn $2k a month.

you have many options, bit the basic two options are:

a) buy resale
b) buy ur hdb just before ur combine income reach $8k total

there is still another option, but is viewed as "illegal" so i shall not state here.

I'm thinking how $8k combined income can to manage a 5 room flat if the CPF is ord acct is not less than $200k. The loan is a killer. Based on 2.6% int flat rate for a 300k loan, the int is $234,000 over 30yrs. That makes the mthly installment at $1484 which is the max for a couple at $8k combined.

Damn siong! Even a 4rm flat cost $400k and above in popular areas. Only choice is to go to the outlying areas. There are still options but its getting tougher by the day. Sigh!

Actually all this talk is highly depressing. When I had 1k, I thought when I hit 8k I will be happy...
Now when I am old enough to get a single flat for myself, 8k is peanuts and cannot get me that flat comfortably...
Lets not even talk about marriage and kids...

Actually all this talk is highly depressing. When I had 1k, I thought when I hit 8k I will be happy...
Now when I am old enough to get a single flat for myself, 8k is peanuts and cannot get me that flat comfortably...

in life we must face challenges head on. cheong ah! like this ----> :mad2:

my parents have a combined income of about $4000. they raised 2 children, sent one to university, the other to la salle. bought a flat, moved to a bigger one, and had a couple of cars over the last 20 years. my house has broadband, and cable TV. everyone has a mobile phone.

and that's $4,000 now in 2008, before CPF. how did they do it? "cannot also must can"
((=

I would say at least $3000. To be comfortable. Anything below that is pretty tight.

I dont drive a car. But paying for rent is already $500 gone. Insurance another $200 odd. I take cabs around, which costs me about $150 a week. I tend to spend a lot of $$ on food as well. (Although God knows where all that food went to!!! :sticktong) I simply cannot stinge on food!!! :bsmilie:

I dont shop much (I swear!). I dont buy clothes and shoes often. And even if I do, its hardly ever more than $50 each time.

Just for my work, I guess I buy makeup and skincare products pretty often. (I can always buy new beauty stuff and tell myself its for work...) ;)

when i first started work, after saving, spending on expenses etc.. i always felt poor.

10 years later, pay has gone up, toys have gotten more expensive, but still feel as poor....
i help out at a constituency, meet a lot of families who get by on 1k or soemtimes even less.. and these can be big famlies.

but i know people ... even 20k is not enough..

important thing is live within your means, and enjoy wha life has to offer. if there is one thing i have learnt in this life, it is that money really does not buy happiness.

all the really fun things i do now, have nothing to do with how much one earns.

SURE ANOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT :bsmilie::bsmilie::sticktong

turbo upgrade leh.................. :devil:

I think that one needs to know where to invest your money for your money to work for you instead of just getting a monthly salary

Working out the figures it really doesn't seem possible to save substantially without some form of high return from an investment (or a few investments)

my parents have a combined income of about $4000. they raised 2 children, sent one to university, the other to la salle. bought a flat, moved to a bigger one, and had a couple of cars over the last 20 years. my house has broadband, and cable TV. everyone has a mobile phone.

and that's $4,000 now in 2008, before CPF. how did they do it? "cannot also must can"
((=

It's possible if they got their initial flat before the 80s price rise.

when you had 1K you tot 8K is enuf...mabbe if you include the inflation from the time you tot till the time you achieve 8K...wat would that 8K be by then? :bigeyes:

I'm thinking how $8k combined income can to manage a 5 room flat if the CPF is ord acct is not less than $200k. The loan is a killer. Based on 2.6% int flat rate for a 300k loan, the int is $234,000 over 30yrs. That makes the mthly installment at $1484 which is the max for a couple at $8k combined.

Damn siong! Even a 4rm flat cost $400k and above in popular areas. Only choice is to go to the outlying areas. There are still options but its getting tougher by the day. Sigh!

true... most Singaporeans still have not actually owned their house yet... wait till we kena 1 long recession... then you can see our property market like US sub-prime today. :eek:

i guess the key is to live within your means... dun create lifestyle...

I worked with young people... their dreams is once they graduate the first thing they want to have is own cars... with $2.5k *faints*

like Mattlock mentioned... put your money into proper investment instruments to have decent yield instead of depending on your wages.

SURE ANOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT :bsmilie::bsmilie::sticktong

turbo upgrade leh.................. :devil:

ur one photoshoot can pay for turbo upgrade.. i have to work long long.... :sticktong

Spend within your mean.

A shirt is a shirt but it can cost from a few dollars to a few hundred.

Status
Not open for further replies.