how much is a dry box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faa

Jun 25, 2004
www.flickr.com
thinking of getting a dry box.. those simply that are just air tight and not those electronic ones.. anyone any idea how much would one cost? any budget suggestions? thnx..

Can find in Carrefour. About $30, but pretty small, prob only can store one body and one lens. Alternatively, can go to CP. About $55 for a relatively big dry box (can store at least 1 body, few lens etc).

given the fact that a dry cabinet is only $99 (digicab or Digihub or something like that) and it comes with a digital meter..... compared to a $55 drybox, i would rather go for the dry cabinet....

hmm..... but wallet got to take a rest first... hee hee :)
just bought a D70.....

and a 50mm f1.8 prime lens.......
and a B+W UV filter.....
my wallet super thin now.... hee hee....

but the feeling is SHIOK !!!!!!!

woah.. 55 sounds not bad.. a small one will do cuz i dun have much equipment... thnx!

depends lah. Cheap dry cabinets may conk out. Dry boxes wont give you much problems if you regularly change your silica.

Eirc, Sounds like you having fun with your D70. Me going to get one soon. Heh heh. Almost gotten one last nite, but the shops were closed by the time i rushed down. Furthermore, East gear sold out its Lexar CF cards...So now got to wait liao lor.

go for a cabinet straight la...i only see my equipment increasing....not decreasing...

dry box with dehumifier is ard 50 ....w/o is ard 20 then u can juz leave a plastic cup with
the silica inside....

cabinet ard 100 for a small one...

the choice is yours...

cheers..

... Try this Dry Cabinet Am-Pro, it manufacture by a local firm. Bought it at Giant Supermarket for $115, and it is sold at best Denki too but a bit more ex... ;)

hi guys sorry for cutting in. But i heard from a friend tt actually an air tight tupperware also can store the camera. isit true?
Then digicam also need to store in dry box isit? if never store how?

digicam normally no real issue....i dun keep my digicam in my dry cabi also le....

air tight tupperware also can....but without the hydrometer.....maybe will become too dry...not good for lenses la...

for digicam, high recommend getting a dry BOX....good and cost effective

cheers.....

Witness said:
digicam normally no real issue....i dun keep my digicam in my dry cabi also le....

air tight tupperware also can....but without the hydrometer.....maybe will become too dry...not good for lenses la...

for digicam, high recommend getting a dry BOX....good and cost effective

cheers.....

I'm using a very old kodak dry box which my mom bought for me when i was a kid. Where can i get a hydrometer? My old box does not have a hydrometer.

Is there a dry box that comes with a hydrometer? I think i need to buy a new one. Mine is more than 10 years old.

nowadays, most dry boxes come with hygrometer. So, shd be quite easy to find.

Agree that while storing in tupperware may be good, u will not know how dry the air inside is. If too dry, all your rubbery parts may dry up and crack.

manalishi said:

Agree that while storing in tupperware may be good, u will not know how dry the air inside is. If too dry, all your rubbery parts may dry up and crack.

Just curious, how dry is consider too dry for the camera?

have read from this forum and it seems to suggest that 45 -55 is the standard....
correct me if i am wrong.....

question: what's the difference between Am-pro and Digicabi ?

thanks

tkp77 said:
Just curious, how dry is consider too dry for the camera?

Ya boy, i've no idea too. Whats the ideal settings? :dunno:

Whats the dimension for the Dry Box and the Cabinet?

Perhaps someone can show me some pic to view so that i wun get the wrong one. ;)

Thanks in advance. :lovegrin:

manalishi said:

have you actually encountered this yourself? I have been using slica gel and an air tight box (15L) for quite some time and none of my rubbery parts dried up yet.

In my box I hold my flash, camera, batteries, charger, odd wires and a rubber non-slip mat.. all of them are dry but non of them has dried up yet. :think: :bsmilie:

I have never taken any hygro readings from the box. but as a guide.. it's dry till the slica gel has stayed mostly dark blue (some transparent) for about 2 weeks inside already.

Anyway, Hougang Mall NTUC sells this big air tight box for camera eqiupment for less than $20.

yanyewkay said:
have you actually encountered this yourself? I have been using slica gel and an air tight box (15L) for quite some time and none of my rubbery parts dried up yet.

In my box I hold my flash, camera, batteries, charger, odd wires and a rubber non-slip mat.. all of them are dry but non of them has dried up yet. :think: :bsmilie:

I have never taken any hygro readings from the box. but as a guide.. it's dry till the slica gel has stayed mostly dark blue (some transparent) for about 2 weeks inside already.

Anyway, Hougang Mall NTUC sells this big air tight box for camera eqiupment for less than $20.

Personally havent encountered, and hope never will. But know a frd who did. Guess how dry the air inside the container is also depends on how much silica u pour inside in relation to the capacity of the box.

My range is between 40 to 50, so far so good.

Actually for small digital cameras just need a dry box & silica. No need spend $ on dry cabinet, as they are sealed up. Unlike SLR's which lens & body are not sealed, they are more prone to fungus.

U can get a bottle of silica at abt $5, when turn pink, just put in toaster or oven to dry at low heat till it turns back to blue, then can reuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.