How many version of 80-200mm 2.8 ?

small pig

May 17, 2011
Punggol
Anyone can advice which is the better version?

The AF-S version is said to be the best optically.

80-200 f/2.8 AIS
80-200 f/2.8 AF one touch
80-200 f/2.8 AF-D 2 touch
80-200 f/2.8D AF-S

i've used the 3 af versions and the AF-S is noticeably superior to either of the previous versions. af is super fast and accurate, but its quite a huge lens. only thing is that its prone to flare.

one touch has slow AF, good performance exp when used at 200mm wide open and closer than 5m. in those instances its soft and somewhat smudgy, it also has a tendency to back focus. the 2 touch shares the same optical formulae(same optical performance) but improves on the AF speed and accuracy.

Last edited:
80-200 f/2.8 AIS
80-200 f/2.8 AF one touch
80-200 f/2.8 AF-D 2 touch
80-200 f/2.8D AF-S

i've used the 3 af versions and the AF-S is noticeably superior to either of the previous versions. af is super fast and accurate, but its quite a huge lens. only thing is that its prone to flare.

one touch has slow AF, good performance exp when used at 200mm wide open and closer than 5m. in those instances its soft and somewhat smudgy, it also has a tendency to back focus. the 2 touch shares the same optical formulae(same optical performance) but improves on the AF speed and accuracy.

Actually there were 2 versions of the one-touch..

You have AF 80-200/2.8 and the AF-D 80-200/2.8D. The AF-D version focuses a lot faster and is much faster than the AF version. The AF-D version also have very much improved optics and is much sharper. The AF-D one touch shares the same optical formula with the two touch. At least on my copy, the 80-200 AFD push pull is pin sharp even at 200mm wide open. The only issue would be the slightly distracting bokeh when there are highlights in the background. You can see samples pics shot with my copy here... http://darthbertz.blogspot.sg/2010/11/little-cannon.html

AF 80-200/2.8 ED mk I
Nikon AF (Autofocus) Nikkor Zoom lenses 80-200mm lens group - index page

AF-D 80-200/2.8D ED mk II.
Nikon's AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Telephoto Zoom lens Part II of Nikon 80-200 zoom lenses

So in fact you have 5 versions of 80-200, of which 4 versions are autofocus.

Last edited:
Anyone can advice which is the better version?

Optically and mechanically the best version is the AF-S 80-200/2.8. Problem is this lens is a little more rare than the others and asking prices of this lens is pretty high. With a couple hundred more you will be able to afford a used copy of the 70-200 VR1, which gives you almost similar IQ with 3 stop VR to boot.

Actually there were 2 versions of the one-touch..

You have AF 80-200/2.8 and the AF-D 80-200/2.8D. The AF-D version focuses a lot faster and is much faster than the AF version. The AF-D version also have very much improved optics and is much sharper. The AF-D one touch shares the same optical formula with the two touch. At least on my copy, the 80-200 AFD push pull is pin sharp even at 200mm wide open. The only issue would be the slightly distracting bokeh when there are highlights in the background. You can see samples pics shot with my copy here... Confessions of a Sensory Addict: The Little Cannon

AF 80-200/2.8 ED mk I
Nikon AF (Autofocus) Nikkor Zoom lenses 80-200mm lens group - index page

AF-D 80-200/2.8D ED mk II.
Nikon's AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Telephoto Zoom lens Part II of Nikon 80-200 zoom lenses

So in fact you have 5 versions of 80-200, of which 4 versions are autofocus.

o... learnt something new, din know the 1 touch had D version as well.. thanks! optics remained the same for all the designs though: 'The optical structure for this version still shares the same 16 elements in 11 groups optical construction used in the non-D first version. '

also, depending on lenses ppl use, they all have differing opinions of 'pin sharp'; the non afs lenses are good as far as zooms go, but I d wouldn't go as far as to say they re pin sharp. even beside the afs version there's a very clear difference. next to a 180 2.8 prime it really shows :) in any case, ts should get what is within budget and enjoy the lens.

Last edited:
For the unrealistic prices that some jokers are selling for the big and much heavier AFS, I would say the two touch is the best choice.

Two-touch AF-D is the best value for money. I used to have it, now I'm using the AF-S. On the D300, the AF-D has slightly slower AF speed than the AF-S, but still very good. I'm not sure if it's my luck or not, but both my AF-D and AF-S are not very sharp wide open. But stopped down to f/4, the AF-S is scarily sharp, noticeably better than the AF-D.

Mechanically, the AF-S will one day suffer from SWM motor failure, whereas there have been reports of the AF-D's manual focus selector breaking. If you're getting a second-hand AF-S, do ask if the motor had been serviced or replaced. Mine is already spoilt, but still useable for now...

o... learnt something new, din know the 1 touch had D version as well.. thanks! optics remained the same for all the designs though: 'The optical structure for this version still shares the same 16 elements in 11 groups optical construction used in the non-D first version. '

also, depending on lenses ppl use, they all have differing opinions of 'pin sharp'; the non afs lenses are good as far as zooms go, but I d wouldn't go as far as to say they re pin sharp. even beside the afs version there's a very clear difference. next to a 180 2.8 prime it really shows :) in any case, ts should get what is within budget and enjoy the lens.

Even while the overall optical design structure remained the same, there are some changes in the D version.

non D: Lens construction: 16 elements in 11 groups; x 3 ED elements at 2nd, 3rd and 13th, with close range correction (CRC) design
AF-D: Lens construction: 16 elements in 11 groups; x 3 ED elements at 2nd, 3rd and 12th, with close range correction (CRC) design

AF version also lacks some multicoating that the AF-D comes with.

Optically, the one touch AF-D is better than the one touch AF version quite a bit. It is sharper wide open and at 200mm. I read a photo review/test of both lenses comparisons on the two. There really are some differences. The one touch AF-D is optically identical to the two-ring AF-D version. The AF-S is a lot a lot better optically (some claim better than the 70-200 VR1).

well about pin sharp, maybe I am a little more forgiving. But when compared to my VR2, none of the 80-200 can compare... But still, the 80-200 AF-D one touch is very sharp.. you can see from the sample pics I posted.. even the 100% crop is sharp.

Last edited:
Just manage to get a new copy for 80-200mm AF-D on D800 yesterday. The Len is sharp at 200mm f2.8 (VERY sharp at F4), but CA is clearly present. Outdoor shoot with good light is showing good result with fast focus speed. Indoor shooting w/o VR is demanding even at high ISO. The build is really pro grease comparable to 300mm F4 AFS, only draw back is no gasket seal.

i owned almost all the versions before but to let u know the current VR2 holds the best in IQ.. no doubt about it..

Just manage to get a new copy for 80-200mm AF-D on D800 yesterday. The Len is sharp at 200mm f2.8 (VERY sharp at F4), but CA is clearly present. Outdoor shoot with good light is showing good result with fast focus speed. Indoor shooting w/o VR is demanding even at high ISO. The build is really pro grease comparable to 300mm F4 AFS, only draw back is no gasket seal.

i still prefer the colors of the AFD to the AFS VR.. but other then that the VR1 and VR2 trump the AFDs.. for about 1.4k for a brand new AFD i would probably top up few hundred to get a used good condition VR1..