How many shots can a DSLR's shutter last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Errr... does that mean the camera can't be used after that? Pardon my ignorance.

When the shutter count has reached it's limit, u'll see in yr pics that there are half exposed pics. Till then, the shutter has to be changed.

whats the cost ?

Only last week i sent in my 10D for a shutter change with request to clean viewfinder, focusing screen and CMOS sensor. Total bill was $178.50 with GST. When i saw the receipt, it's the servicing charges that's the costly one at $120. The shutter unit's only $50 and the rest is GST. Surprisingly, the cleaning charges were free,

But i'm very impressed with the speed of Canon's servicing. Only the day when the technician called me for quotation, they completed everything in just 1 day instead of the said 5 working days.

As far as I understand, when the shutter dies (or begins to die), you will realise that the shutter speed isn't quite what is selected or indicated.

For eg, a shot with a supposed shutter speed of 1/1000 would probably shoot at 1/800 or 1/1200 giving you an under/overexposed shot.

With today's speed of new product launches, I'm very sure, before the shutter breaks, most of us will have upgraded their DSLR bodies :bsmilie:

D100 hit 900k

900k? That's 25,000 rolls of 36. :bigeyes:
That's 6250 rolls a year.. :bigeyes:
That's 520 rolls a month.. :bigeyes:
That's 17 rolls a day.. :think:
That's exaggeration... :bsmilie:

actually not consider a lot for field reporter ba.

i go snap snap a simple event for shiok already 1k pics in just 3hours.

D100 hit 900k?? That's really exaggeration. Then the 1D MK III can hit 2 million.

that's meant for a video clip.

actually not consider a lot for field reporter ba.

i go snap snap a simple event for shiok already 1k pics in just 3hours.
eh, avg 10s snap 1... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :sweat:

actually it does not matter to most of us. the estimation provide a guide to professionals who shoots burst modes with very high shutter count, as they invested in very expensive equipments and may be concerned over durability and their investment/output rather than upgrading.

more often i heard of failure due to various other reasons, rather than from "wear and tear". the estimated count is much higher than what we can shoot by the time we think of an upgrade, and if it fails prematurely, it is probably far from and regardless of the estimated number.

the recent surge of interest over this matter may be due to the vibrant B&S market in CS, hence people tried to introduce this concept to see if they cut down the price further. it can also be used as an estimation of duration of use, but is not better than checking with the invoice date.

in my opinion, "seldom used" and "very low shutter count", if genuine, are probably more dangerous. electronics can fail from lack of use. that is why experts always advise to take out your camera body and various lenses once in a while to play with it, rather than to keep it untouched to grow mould.

17x36 only about a few hundred pictures only. not considered high in an eventful day.

17x36 only about a few hundred pictures only. not considered high in an eventful day.
For every single day of the week in a month of the year of four years? :confused:

I take an avg of 300-400 shots a day of 4 days a week. That's approx 1600 images a week..
That's about 84k a year.. only about 330k in 4 yrs.. approx 2.7 terabytes of RAW unprocessed data or 9160+ rolls of film..
I shoot almost a wedding a week throughout the year minus maybe 4-5 weeks for the off-season..
Shutter replacement is a routine procedure in my workflow every two years for my mk2s :)
900k is 3 times what i shoot... kinda like a wedding a day, everyday of the week, every month of the year? And the camera would probably be shooting when the couple is in bed too coz only 7 days a week!
That D100's shutter must be like polished chrome by now! hehehe
Also the owner of the D100 must be very rich too.. superb return on investment!

Sorry ah.. dont marah.. am just having bit of fun.. 900k too much la...

actually it does not matter to most of us. ..... in my opinion, "seldom used" and "very low shutter count", if genuine, are probably more dangerous. electronics can fail from lack of use. that is why experts always advise to take out your camera body and various lenses once in a while to play with it, rather than to keep it untouched to grow mould.

Yeah.. this is true.. Shutters are wear and tear parts.. they can be replaced. Mk2 shutters are about $480 to replace.. maybe cheaper in SG coz no need shipment and insurance.

Actually.. with pro cameras.. nothing much can go wrong.. esp the pro models if they are serviced at least once every two years. Its mostly electronics.. unless of course the camera went swimming in the South China Sea... Most pro bodies are usually well kept but also well used. External aesthetics are minor issues.. what's important is that the seller replaces the shutter before selling.. and assures the buyer that there are no crabs or prawns swimming inside :bsmilie:

Sorry ah.. dont marah.. am just having bit of fun.. 900k too much la...

no, it's ok, gd to hear some ground figures.

but then, what i'm saying is not about that 900k, but that having hundreds of photos on an (single) eventful day is not unbelievable. i hardly shoot except for once in a blue moon travels, and does hit between 100-400 per day up to 600 at rare peaks, so i can imagine event shooter with bracketing may hit higher.

Yeah.. this is true.. Shutters are wear and tear parts.. they can be replaced. Mk2 shutters are about $480 to replace.. maybe cheaper in SG coz no need shipment and insurance.

Actually.. with pro cameras.. nothing much can go wrong.. esp the pro models if they are serviced at least once every two years. Its mostly electronics.. unless of course the camera went swimming in the South China Sea... Most pro bodies are usually well kept but also well used. External aesthetics are minor issues.. what's important is that the seller replaces the shutter before selling.. and assures the buyer that there are no crabs or prawns swimming inside :bsmilie:

what i'm saying is with regards to deals between non-professionals. non-use can be worse than over-use when it comes to some electronics.

no, it's ok, gd to hear some ground figures.

but then, what i'm saying is not about that 900k, but that having hundreds of photos on an (single) eventful day is not unbelievable. i hardly shoot except for once in a blue moon travels, and does hit between 100-400 per day up to 600 at rare peaks, so i can imagine event shooter with bracketing may hit higher.

oh.. I'm sure anyone of us can hit 800-1200 frames a day. A lot of US wedding photogs do hit those rates whilst at work.. For malay as well as chinese weddings... it can average about 600-900 photos from 10 am to 11 pm. But cannot do that everyday la.. will give new meaning to the word Chrome.. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.