How many photos can you put on Facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMediaLuz

Dec 3, 2008
Assuming each photo is 2-3mb jpg, how many photos can we put on Facebook?

Assuming each photo is 2-3mb jpg, how many photos can we put on Facebook?

The only limitation to FACEBOOK photo posting is you can only post up to a maximum of 60 photos per album. The number of album you can have it as far as I know limitless so far. You can find that detail by search facebook's FAQ or google.

As to size 2-3mb? Have you got a Facebook account to begin with? Facebook limits your photo size.

Every photo you upload goes thru an automated process that renders your photo smaller to about 600 by 400 pixels. (give or take a few tens of pixels either way) So you can spend all your time uploading those super huge files all day and night but in the end, when you view them it will be in those smaller sizes. And when you try to copy them back to your PC they are all in that smaller size dimension, PERMANANENTLY.

So don't go uploading and then deleting your original from your computer thinking someone is keeping your huge photos for you and save your HDD space hor. In any case why should you trust any free site to do that for you? heh

Hey it is a free feature don't expect them to be a full size storage facility....and why would you? If tomorrow they change their policy to use your photos for their own commercial purposes then what are you going to do?

Not sure if this is true, but I heard the Facebook have the right to use any photos uploaded to their site, ie: if you upload, I can use it.

Not sure if this is true, but I heard the Facebook have the right to use any photos uploaded to their site, ie: if you upload, I can use it.

Nah...Last week they bow to public pressure from subscribers to cancel that idea and reverted back to the old terms of use. But whose to say in the future beyond.

The only limitation to FACEBOOK photo posting is you can only post up to a maximum of 60 photos per album. The number of album you can have it as far as I know limitless so far. You can find that detail by search facebook's FAQ or google.

As to size 2-3mb? Have you got a Facebook account to begin with? Facebook limits your photo size.

Every photo you upload goes thru an automated process that renders your photo smaller to about 600 by 400 pixels. (give or take a few tens of pixels either way) So you can spend all your time uploading those super huge files all day and night but in the end, when you view them it will be in those smaller sizes. And when you try to copy them back to your PC they are all in that smaller size dimension, PERMANANENTLY.

So don't go uploading and then deleting your original from your computer thinking someone is keeping your huge photos for you and save your HDD space hor. In any case why should you trust any free site to do that for you? heh

Hey it is a free feature don't expect them to be a full size storage facility....and why would you? If tomorrow they change their policy to use your photos for their own commercial purposes then what are you going to do?

Okie... Got that! Thanks. ;)

As for Photos that takes up large spaces...that's the size it comes in the camera. If FB is going to trim down the size then bo bian loh...let them do it.

But you are right, definitely need to save the original copy. Wasn't intending to use it as a storage.

My Photos have very very nice Bokey...so nice that even those parts which I want to keep in focus. :bsmilie: And if they want to use it...I feel honoured.

Is it? I thought it still says that they can use it?

Nah...Last week they bow to public pressure from subscribers to cancel that idea and reverted back to the old terms of use. But whose to say in the future beyond.

Is it? I thought it still says that they can use it?

Hard to say what the future will say in time to come. As with any corporation, its money driven..sooner or later they will come up with a scheme (scam) that will help them make money. They have to,..I mean they paid a big load of cash for FACEBOOK and it's not about civil minded or a form of charity for all. It was to make money from it....spades loads of it.

But for now, their recent change of terms of use was reverted back after much pressure from facebook users like myself who particupated in online petitions and such. Here are some links that covered it:

http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=54746167130

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/Free-Articles/The-Briefing/20090220-Backlash-forces-Facebook-to-back-down-on-terms-of-use-changes.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/19/2495735.htm

I'm not sure what was the before and after, but here is what the "now" is:

When you post User Content to the Site, you authorize and direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting and storage of the User Content on the Site.

By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing.

I don't see any difference, the so called "old terms" (which I presume is what I'm seeing "NOW", gives them the right to do anything they want with your content. If this is considered "acceptable" and a "phew" for those who objected to the "new terms", I'm really wondering what in the world the "new terms" are.

Must be a hell of a lot worse.

Hard to say what the future will say in time to come. As with any corporation, its money driven..sooner or later they will come up with a scheme (scam) that will help them make money. They have to,..I mean they paid a big load of cash for FACEBOOK and it's not about civil minded or a form of charity for all. It was to make money from it....spades loads of it.

But for now, their recent change of terms of use was reverted back after much pressure from facebook users like myself who particupated in online petitions and such. Here are some links that covered it:

http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=54746167130

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/Free...ook-to-back-down-on-terms-of-use-changes.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/19/2495735.htm

I'm not sure what was the before and after, but here is what the "now" is:

When you post User Content to the Site, you authorize and direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting and storage of the User Content on the Site.

By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing.

I don't see any difference, the so called "old terms" (which I presume is what I'm seeing "NOW", gives them the right to do anything they want with your content. If this is considered "acceptable" and a "phew" for those who objected to the "new terms", I'm really wondering what in the world the "new terms" are.

Must be a hell of a lot worse.

Well heheh as I said...it is never perfect and it is about the money in the end. That is why I only put up my good photos..but...never my best and I always... always upload the smaller 600 x 480 which is what they will automatically change it to even when you upload a larger one. My fear was and still is.... what is there to stop them from taking my large upload, keep a high res copy in their server while the auto converted one goes on to be place in my FACEBOOK???? SO the TS should convert his photos and upload. Save time as it is a smaller file format PLUS you ensure your precious orginal size photo will not be abused used to make money for them and with no need to pay you for it. It is always good to feel honored that your photo is used in some pictorial thing or whatever and a small sum of a few dollars was paid...imagine findout facebook sold it's use for a few thousand dollars. Can anyone tell me that it will not pinch your nerve to learn about that and STILL feel fine about it ....and honored still??? heheh Personally...no fragging way for me man.

Anyway here was what was taken out of the alteration that caused the commotion.

"You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content.

This is also reinforced by the “Termination” section:

The following sections will survive any termination of your use of the Facebook Service: Prohibited Conduct, User Content, Your Privacy Practices, Gift Credits, Ownership; Proprietary Rights, Licenses, Submissions, User Disputes; Complaints, Indemnity, General Disclaimers, Limitation on Liability, Termination and Changes to the Facebook Service, Arbitration, Governing Law; Venue and Jurisdiction and Other."

In ending, I always remind myself of one very important thing about use someone's free services whether it be online or in real life..."There's no free lunch" heheh...

Last edited:
The section on automatic termination of the license is still there. I still dont get what is taken out or put in or changed. The T&Cs right now already states the position clearly.

Well heheh as I said...it is never perfect and it is about the money in the end. That is why I only put up my good photos..but...never my best and I always... always upload the smaller 600 x 480 which is what they will automatically change it to even when you upload a larger one. My fear was and still is.... what is there to stop them from taking my large upload, keep a high res copy in their server while the auto converted one goes on to be place in my FACEBOOK???? SO the TS should convert his photos and upload. Save time as it is a smaller file format PLUS you ensure your precious orginal size photo will not be abused used to make money for them and with no need to pay you for it. It is always good to feel honored that your photo is used in some pictorial thing or whatever and a small sum of a few dollars was paid...imagine findout facebook sold it's use for a few thousand dollars. Can anyone tell me that it will not pinch your nerve to learn about that and STILL feel fine about it ....and honored still??? heheh Personally...no fragging way for me man.

Anyway here was what was taken out of the alteration that caused the commotion.

"You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content.

This is also reinforced by the “Termination” section:

The following sections will survive any termination of your use of the Facebook Service: Prohibited Conduct, User Content, Your Privacy Practices, Gift Credits, Ownership; Proprietary Rights, Licenses, Submissions, User Disputes; Complaints, Indemnity, General Disclaimers, Limitation on Liability, Termination and Changes to the Facebook Service, Arbitration, Governing Law; Venue and Jurisdiction and Other."

In ending, I always remind myself of one very important thing about use someone's free services whether it be online or in real life..."There's no free lunch" heheh...

anyway, better to downsize the photo to long edge 600px first.. the facebook compression isn't fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.