How many of you sold your kit lens....?

What did you do with your kit lens after getting an upgrade?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman2000

Dec 10, 2008
Pasir Ris
Basically I'm looking to buy the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non-VC by the end of the month. This would replace the EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS that I sometimes use as my "walkabout lens". For portraiture, I always use my el cheapo 50mm or other lenses. To be frank, I don't use the EF-S lens much for anything else due to the variable aperture. I only need this range for personal/commercial events where primes would be severly limiting to me as I only have 1 camera currently.

Thus I would like to know... should I sell my kit lens after I've gotten the Tamron?

Thanks

I never had a kit lens!

I am contemplating selling mine after my trip in Nov. Reason for selling is due to overlapping of range therefore no requirement. :)

Sell it, since you only have 1 body at the moment and have overlapping range, why not?
Unless you are going to get another crop body? At which you can buy the kit lens as well

sell it to fund your 17 - 50.
no point keeping that lens since your 17-50 is gonna be stuck to your camera most of the time.

The Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 would be better than your current lens. Why don't you sell it off. The money can help off set the cost of the Tamron.

i bought mine without a kit lens. I would've had to pay $200 more for a lens that I didn't want.

But for people who are new to photography, kit lens are okay for everyday usage.

I would sell the lens. Why keep something you are not going to use?

why don't have the option "Sold it and regretted it"??? ;p

I also faced your situation once, found that 18-55 2.8 was really heavy, but because of its high cost, i always found excuses not to switch back to the much lighter, much compacter kit lens. However, if you go out on a random family jaunt, you may wish to keep the kit lens as you can bump it around without feeling too guilty. Esp since the kit lens (for nikon at least, not sure bout yours) is pretty cheap (<150 VR/ 100 non-VR) second-hand, may be worth keeping it in case you wanna change out of the 2.8 in the future.

this thread is a bit vague, coz there are a number of "kit lenses" out there.
For example, my 18-135 kit lens is quite versatile, so even if I bought a 17-50 /2.8 lens, I'd probably still keep the kit lens for its extended range. But if I had the 18-55, then the focal ranges would almost totally overlap, and there'd be no reason to keep the kit lens and let it rot.

It's HIGHLY unlikely that you'd grab your kit lens instead of the constant aperture one, when deliberately going out to shoot.
But hey, you never know, eh?

I'd like to sell mine, and upgrade to a 17-50 or something, but who'd buy a kit lens?

I tried to sell my kit lens same as yours, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS in the B&S, sad to say no one bite it :( so its lying on my dry cabi up to this time...

:gbounce:

Alright I put a thread in B&S for $100, let's see how it goes

No kit lens for me. The monent i got my new babe, i requested to trade in that 18-55 for a 18-105, of course with some cash topped up

Actually I would advise you to keep the Canon 18-55 lS lens in case of emergency.

i agree. but if you know your cameras so far, you dont need the kit lens anymore

i agree. but if you know your cameras so far, you dont need the kit lens anymore

I recall some wedding photographers do bring the lens during Wedding AD as a backup for their 17-55IS as it cover a similar range. A lens like any equip is subjected to failure, in paid shoot (for eg: Wedding AD) always bring a spare/backup set just in case. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.