How many of you own a AF-S VR 18-200mm ?

Do you have the 18-200 VR lens?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ever use it last year. I used it with my Nikon D70s. 18-200 is a nice walkaround lens, but I think the focusing is really slow. I use it to capture the farmer activity in the morning at 6am, but it focused really slow, so I missed most of my great moment. but if you have good enough body eg. D200 or D300, I think it's really nice coz it will focused faster. 18-70 and 70-300 can be a good choice too ^_^

Not much distortion ah. at 18 mm, its distortion free. I use the 10-20 mm and have now changed to use the 18-200 at 18 mm so that i wont distort anything.

Haha... The Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED can probably be considered distortion-free when compared against the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM, but hey, there is noticable barrel distortion at 18mm... No doubt about that.

Just came back from a cruise with my 18-200, D60 and SB-400.

18-200 was really convenient for me since I could take wide angle group photos easily and zoom in on islands in the distance.

However, the weight (front heavy) and irritating barrel creep (locks at 18mm, but slowly creeps as I walk around) bothered me as usual.

I didn't really use the tele part of the lens other than zooming on far away island for fun, using it as a binoculars more than a camera...

This is why I was considering bringing my feather weight 18-55 instead. Now I'm seriously thinking about getting the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8... :D

is the 18-200 more useful for travel photography as it got the ability to zoom in to far away targets?

Will tamron 17-50mm f2.8 help in this?

is the 18-200 more useful for travel photography as it got the ability to zoom in to far away targets?

Will tamron 17-50mm f2.8 help in this?
The tamron can't zoom in like the 18-200, but like I said, I found that I didn't use the telephoto zoom much.

The tamron has very similar zoom as the 18-55 kit lens (1mm wider and 5mm less telephoto, not much diff), but its f2.8, so it will be better in low light especially at 50mm. The 18-55 is f5.6 at 50mm while the tamron is still f2.8. Bokeh is also much nicer on the tamron... :)

The tamron can't zoom in like the 18-200, but like I said, I found that I didn't use the telephoto zoom much.

The tamron has very similar zoom as the 18-55 kit lens (1mm wider and 5mm less telephoto, not much diff), but its f2.8, so it will be better in low light especially at 50mm. The 18-55 is f5.6 at 50mm while the tamron is still f2.8. Bokeh is also much nicer on the tamron... :)

Seriously considering? why...? Get it already :) couple of decent tammys on buy/sell last i saw. You're certainly right about the bokeh... my Tammy got my gfren interested in using my D90 even haha..

Seriously considering? why...? Get it already :) couple of decent tammys on buy/sell last i saw. You're certainly right about the bokeh... my Tammy got my gfren interested in using my D90 even haha..
Got it already. :D

2nd hand a few days ago... :D

I just got the lens from a CSer few days ago. I noticed that when I used the flash on my D60.. there will be a shadow at the bottom of the image since the lens is kinda big which will block off part of the flash.

Can this be resolved with the SB400?

I just got the lens from a CSer few days ago. I noticed that when I used the flash on my D60.. there will be a shadow at the bottom of the image since the lens is kinda big which will block off part of the flash.

Can this be resolved with the SB400?
Yes, I shoot with 18-200 on my D60 with SB-400 too...

Shadow will be gone unless you are extremely close to the subject (macro shots, which are quite difficult with the 18-200)... :)

I own this and it has been a great lens. I am not fussed about the distortions but the VR and the sheer width of focal lengths has meant that I have missed very few shots.

This lens allows me to go ahead and capture what I want and since I am not fussed about the details but more keen on getting the 'shot' I am very happy with it.

However when I go on my hikes in USA, which can last more than 800km, I may consider a P N S instead.

Yes, I shoot with 18-200 on my D60 with SB-400 too...

Shadow will be gone unless you are extremely close to the subject (macro shots, which are quite difficult with the 18-200)... :)

Yes an SB-400 will take care of that. Just got mine at Mustafa for $169. I was wondering for a while where the shadow came from! Silly me...

Yes an SB-400 will take care of that. Just got mine at Mustafa for $169. I was wondering for a while where the shadow came from! Silly me...

$169 for 18-200 or sb-400?

cheers
shawn

Rather slow. I am using a 24-85 F2.8-4 D for my D300

Approx 36-127 in 135mm. Quite a good range for general usage.

Rather slow. I am using a for my D300

Approx 36-127 in 135mm. Quite a good range for general usage.

I have both lens, I agree 24-85 F2.8-4 D is sharper. But not longer.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.