how many of you edit pictures after taking a photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If want to be truly PURE and REAL photographer, then must stick to what an original Camera is - a darkened room.

That means cannot use DSLR, cannot use SLR, cannot use rangefinder, cannot use TLR, cannot use view camera and also cannot use feelem, wet plates or any other sort of UNPURE materials that will distort the PURE PHOTO.

During a PURE discussion I once had, that also means instead of what the pioneers used to do, which was sketch out the projected image on a piece of paper, to BE ABSOLUTELY PURE - CANNOT sketch also, because different hand, different pencil, different paper will corrupt the PURE image!

Can only capture in a PURE MIND then can be a REAL and PURE Photographer.

Last edited:
cuz i have some pple saying that what is the use of editing .. lyke that might as well dont take... haha so wanna know from all of u guys.. some pple lyke the stock pic that already been taken ..no need editing.. but for my point of view its very dale.. for me la.haha

What's wrong with editing the photos after we take them? As one CSer point out, camera also edits the photo for us compressed to jpeg.

In this digital age, editing photos is an art in itself.

What's wrong with editing the photos after we take them? As one CSer point out, camera also edits the photo for us compressed to jpeg.

In this digital age, editing photos is an art in itself.

Exactly. WB, picture styles, sharpening, noise reduction, lighting optimisers, etc are all post-processing features automated for you by the camera. Better to take it raw with 0 sharpening, 0 contrast, 0 colour tone, 0 WB, 0 saturation. In fact, accept the picture with all those extra green pixels and enjoy the greenish raw image. ;-)

Whatever level of "hardcore" and "pureness" you talk about, there is yet another level someone else will use to rebuke you. Just do what you can within or without the camera to the picture to make it better, and thus yourself happy. Don't try so hard to please others; you'd often be depressed.

if really want to differentiate, there is pp - post processing and then there is editing.

pp is really fine, adjust brightness, contrast, hue, tones, etc. editing, well, depends. are you editing such that you cut and paste stuffs that were not in the photo, into the photo? still there is no right or wrong, depends from what angle are you coming from and what you want to achieve.

to me, photography is
1) conceptualize
2) capturing the image
3) editing the image to fit concept
4) printing the image

this is the full circle.

if i did not edit my images before presenting them, then i am not showing respect to myself, my concept, the image and the people viewing it.

hey guys i want to know anyone of you guys edited your photo after you guys take a picture?

yes, i like to make

1) humans into wax figures
2) landscapes into glowing places that seem like aliens have arrived
3) make my insects look like they have been slashed 2000 times by a ninja in the time that i have taken their photo via oversharpening

photoshop is fun! look what you can do to make your photographs art! :bsmilie:

i call it post processing, not editing. this is especially required when shooting in raw. you do not submit images in raw form. in fact, some people call raw as digital negatives. you have to process and develop negatives, including those in digital formats.

the image content, composition and the original concept is maintained.

post processing enhances the image and not 'edit/change'.

there are some situations where no processing is required but that is less than 2% for me.

Agree with gazkw. There's a difference between post-processing and editing.

The word editing implies that there is alteration done to the composition of the photo to include or exclude parts of the content. So stuff like airbrushing, wrinkle-removal, SKII treatment etc, to me, is considered editing.

Post-processing is the fine-tuning of the photo while retaining the composition. As said before, shooting in RAW basically captures the image as is without any internal adjustments (ie. WB, photo-style) and gives you a neutral slate to work on.

the photogs who still shoot slides/trans, do not edit
actually hor, shoot one shoe box of slides and only pick a few consider editing or not?? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

how about shoot with instant print more direct.. :thumbsup:

shoot with polaroid lor better....but if u throw aways shots from the polaroid...that's editing rite?

hey guys i want to know anyone of you guys edited your photo after you guys take a picture?

cuz i have some pple saying that what is the use of editing .. lyke that might as well dont take... haha so wanna know from all of u guys.. some pple lyke the stock pic that already been taken ..no need editing.. but for my point of view its very dale.. for me la.haha

Whoever said that jsut have no idea what he or she is talking about. That made the question irrelevant.

If want to be truly PURE and REAL photographer, then must stick to what an original Camera is - a darkened room.

That means cannot use DSLR, cannot use SLR, cannot use rangefinder, cannot use TLR, cannot use view camera and also cannot use feelem, wet plates or any other sort of UNPURE materials that will distort the PURE PHOTO.

During a PURE discussion I once had, that also means instead of what the pioneers used to do, which was sketch out the projected image on a piece of paper, to BE ABSOLUTELY PURE - CANNOT sketch also, because different hand, different pencil, different paper will corrupt the PURE image!

Can only capture in a PURE MIND then can be a REAL and PURE Photographer.

Hahaha, yes. The art is in the mind! :bsmilie:

(Gosh* Those anti-processing 'purists' sure an a crazy bunch :dunno:)

keep one image or throw one image also consider editing,

so who on earth take photos never edit?

hehheehe,,about to say same thing,
it's a digital era, editing is must at least for me,

cheers

Pin-hole camera is the purest form. Cannot edit or post-process.

i dun do PP.... cos i am quite lousy with PS (only know how to resize, auto contrast, cropping) and since i just shoot for hobby sake (not a pro)... i dun see myself spending much time doing PP on each photo i took haha.

if i am lucky, sometimes out of the 10s or 100s of photos i took... a few came out quite nice without any PP done. The rest is just simple normal photos.

Last edited:
Hi all, Everything is an art and doing things is also an art as how you should do it and what is the best way of doing it and the best way is your thinking of it.

Depends what you mean by editing.

If you mean any change after the photo is taken, then yes, I have edited sometimes. Sometimes crop to close in on a subject or person. Or might reduce resolution to get lower mp pic so I can upload onto a site which has restrictions on photo size. Now and again I might use camera editing tools to lighten a pic or rotate it.

But in general I dont do any heavy editing.

I assume the TS means using Photoshop or some industrial strength software to produce photos good enough to put in a fashion magazine. If so- then no, I dont edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.