How Impt is a Dedicated Graphics Card for Laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Window Vista's hardware requirement:
I think minimal running requirement
A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:
  • A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
  • 512 MB of system memory.
  • A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.
But to run reasonably smoothly
A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:
  • 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
  • 1 GB of system memory.
  • Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)2, Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.
  • 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
  • DVD-ROM Drive3.
  • Audio output capability.
  • Internet access capability.

come to think about it, I guess it would be good to have dedicated graphics memory just so you would have more memory for photoshop and not need to allocate some system memory for display...

hey NW,

was just wondering. dell have the ultra sharp series of screens as compared to normal screens, could these have been a problem (with ref to the colour prob u face)?

i dun think so.... i think it might be with my graphics chip.

edit: my dv5000 is equipped with nVidia, not ATI. pia seh...

yesterday was at funan, saw the new Acer ferarri... *nose bleed*

well, i guess getting a dedicated graphics card is inevitable. erm.. other than dell, any place let u customise ur laptop?

I would strongly advise against doing serious graphic work on a laptop as the LCDs are built for text work

The newer laptops now come with DVI output. However, this is usually only with dedicated graphics chipset. They come with better hardware controls over the quality of the video and display parameters too.

yesterday was at funan, saw the new Acer ferarri... *nose bleed*

well, i guess getting a dedicated graphics card is inevitable. erm.. other than dell, any place let u customise ur laptop?

Care to share wat's the model and price of the Dell Laptop you are looking at?
Coz i'm also looking out for laptops to replace my desktop. :)

hi iceberg

think i m getting either the 640 or 6400. not too sure whats the diff between the 2 though. was told the xps model is quite power. but then kinda pricey. my friend told me that dell may be releasing the amd dual processors on their laptops soon.

anyone heard the rumour?

what does it mean by make sure dell is giving the video ram that is as fast as ur cpu?

Dell often quotes u a lap top with ram speed that is slower than the max bus speed of the Duo Core cpu ie 665 is the max bus speed of the cpu they offer u a lap top with 550 speed ram net result ram runns slower than cpu - slows down the system. Action upgrade and pay more to have the ram at the same speed as the cpu bus speed. Ok the terminalogy bus speed is not correct - check out the quote from Dell. They did that for the 6400 that was quote to me. Details details details its all in the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.