How good is the GF1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

20Babies

Aug 8, 2007
I was at Best Denki yesterday and had a chance to played with the new GF1.
Quite impressed with it. But they dont offer the 17mm lens package.
Before i plunge into this purchase, i have read good reviews online.
If there is anyone who has the new GF1, i am keen to hear your comments on this baby.
I am also wondering if it will work well with my leica M lenses....

I will be damn please if it can produce as good pics with the M lenses as the new M9!

The M9 is a top of the line FF model in the D3/5DMkII class coupled with M lenses optimised to the M9. The GF1 is a good mid-price DSLR equivalent, so no fight.

I am having fun with my GF1 for its portability, very decent image quality and good handling. Fitted with an M lens, the GF1 looks absolutely cool!! But will probably fit an R macro lens once I can find one at a reaistic price. And maybe an old Nikon 300mm/400mm AIS for birds altho MF will be a challenge.

ok M9 is kinda of unrelaistic.
How about comparing it with M8?

Which M lens did you use?
Have you done any pic comparison b/w the kit len verus your M len on the same subject?

QUOTE=ziggy;5558584]The M9 is a top of the line FF model in the D3/5DMkII class coupled with M lenses optimised to the M9. The GF1 is a good mid-price DSLR equivalent, so no fight.

I am having fun with my GF1 for its portability, very decent image quality and good handling. Fitted with an M lens, the GF1 looks absolutely cool!! But will probably fit an R macro lens once I can find one at a reaistic price. And maybe an old Nikon 300mm/400mm AIS for birds altho MF will be a challenge.[/QUOTE]

I was at Best Denki yesterday and had a chance to played with the new GF1.
Quite impressed with it. But they dont offer the 17mm lens package.
Before i plunge into this purchase, i have read good reviews online.
If there is anyone who has the new GF1, i am keen to hear your comments on this baby.
I am also wondering if it will work well with my leica M lenses....

I will be damn please if it can produce as good pics with the M lenses as the new M9!

How much did Best Denki quote u for the GF1?

ok M9 is kinda of unrelaistic.
How about comparing it with M8?

Which M lens did you use?
Have you done any pic comparison b/w the kit len verus your M len on the same subject?

The M8 is not much cheaper - no Leica is 'affordable' in the usual sense. A similar Leica M8 + Tri-lens is 10x more than a GF1 + kit lens. This won't be a realistic comparison.

The GF1 is really nice if you shoot in RAW and process using Adobe Lightroom. Lightroom V3 is in beta right now and free to download and try.

Loving every moment with it.

Portable, lightweight (with 14 - 45mm kit lens), ease of use (personal opinion), and the best of all, quality pics.

Now kust thinking. When do I use the 50D then??????

Hi 20babies

I was at Cathay to collect my GF1 yesterday.
Asked them to show me the D300, D700, GH1 and GF1. Placed them side by side and straightaway, I settled for the GF1 without any hesitation.

The main compelling reason for me to get the GF1 is the size.

I used to own biggies such as the EOS1, D2X, F4E, etc during my younger days...But as age catches up and my back/neck problem is not going away, I had to settle for a lighter body without comprising on image quality.

Although the GF1 is an extremely capable camera with very low noise even at ISO 800/1600, I find the shutter lag a bit slow as compared to the DSLRs.

The other bugbear I have with the GF1 is the price of the lenses which is a bit to exorbitant and the aperture a bit too small for my liking. Will probably use this for my holiday trip and sell it away after my holidays.
If not, I'd probably get a M43 converter for my Nikkor lenses and use it on manual. At least will be able to make use of the bigger aperture. Wow, if I plug in my 80-200, I would have an equivalent of a 160-400mm F2.8 !!!
hehehe.

Last edited:
I would say this gem has replaced my PNS....rather than DSLR.

If you put your expectations from PNS point of view, this gem is indeed perfect.

Brought my GF1 + Summicron R50/2 out today. Never had so much fun with a camera :))

Brought my GF1 + Summicron R50/2 out today. Never had so much fun with a camera :))

Agreed, I thought I was going to sell it off after playing for a while. However, whenever I took it out from my Dry cab, just holding the camera really makes me think twice about selling and just keep it as a well-made gadget that can take good photos...

I think one understated and overlooked aspect of the GF1 is it's 720p video capability; the video quality is very good, sharp and clear; the dedicated video button makes it really convenient to use.

The GF1 is really nice if you shoot in RAW and process using Adobe Lightroom. Lightroom V3 is in beta right now and free to download and try.

Agree with this. I use the G1 and find LR an absolute necessity to get the best out of this cam. Otherwise can try shooting in some modes to bump up the saturations and contrasts, etc.. but still, nothing like shooting in RAW and post-process to your liking.

Agreed, I thought I was going to sell it off after playing for a while. However, whenever I took it out from my Dry cab, just holding the camera really makes me think twice about selling and just keep it as a well-made gadget that can take good photos...

Dammit... there goes my hope of picking a cheaper one from 2nd-hand market. ;)

Coming back from Beijing on 14 Dec.......

Just needed a light camera body for the trip.....

So, once the trip is over, I don't need it.....

PS :
Wife is standing behind me and just posed a valid question.....you mean you won't go for any more trips after this????

The M8 is not much cheaper - no Leica is 'affordable' in the usual sense. A similar Leica M8 + Tri-lens is 10x more than a GF1 + kit lens. This won't be a realistic comparison.

There is a Leica that's at the same price range at the GF1. You know what it is? The Dlux 4, which is basically a Leica'ed LX3 :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: Leica lovers please don't kill me :sweat:

Coming back from Beijing on 14 Dec.......

Just needed a light camera body for the trip.....

So, once the trip is over, I don't need it.....

PS :
Wife is standing behind me and just posed a valid question.....you mean you won't go for any more trips after this????

Heh.. but.. but.. me leaving for Shanghai this coming Monday! Sell me first, then I resell back to you.. then you resell back to me (before my next trip end Dec)... :think:

I'm at the Panasonic event in Bangkok right now doing some work with them. They have the GF1 displayed to try... Looks and feels real good. Will get one for myself when I return back to Singapore. Its expensive here. Do you know how much it cost in Singapore? With the 20mm lens.. and also the 14-140mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.