How good are variable ND Filters?

wolvie77

Nov 15, 2009
Hi! All. I recently read about variable ND filters. Considering to buy one. But would like to seek advice whether are they better than those that are not variable?

Hi! All. I recently read about variable ND filters. Considering to buy one. But would like to seek advice whether are they better than those that are not variable?

Variable NDs are a combination of two polarisers. The overall quality is dependent on two glass elements. They usually tend to exhibit a weird X discoloration when pushed to the extreme end. I only have experience with Singh Ray variable ND, and it exhibited similar issues when it crosses the 8 stop demarcation. It was not exactly color neutral but near enough. I did have some vignetting issues on wide lenses.

I eventually switched to Lee Big Stopper. I find it more convenient stacking filters via the holder. No more vignetting problems.

Ryan

I have one,
IMO, they are more suitable for shooting video.
I find using fixed stops ND filters for photography give better and consistent results.

Nd grads are very useful for landscapes with blown out skies.the polarizing part helps darken the blown out skies while keeping the landscapes as it is....when u are framing make sure u adjust the filter so the darken parts are even...normal nd filters are good for very bright days..or when u want a darker scene without having to adjust ur camera settings

Nd grads are very useful for landscapes with blown out skies.the polarizing part helps darken the blown out skies while keeping the landscapes as it is....when u are framing make sure u adjust the filter so the darken parts are even...normal nd filters are good for very bright days..or when u want a darker scene without having to adjust ur camera settings

I think TS is asking about variable ND filters...

Anyway, there is a guide to different kinds of filters here. It covers the filters you mentioned as well as Variable ND filters.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803029

Last edited:
Thx everyone for your advice.