How get shoot this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamcake

Aug 11, 2003
CRW_6145_copy.jpg

how to get it?

Macro lens macro lens macro lens... flash flash flash... and that sort... go have a look at the macro photography section i think...

ok.. i know its macro.. but

that transparency of the flower... by flash?

notice it is back by mirror (the OOF flowers shows the backview), the light probably have bounce from the mirror thus creating the translucent effect.

Whoa!
Very nice!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jym, not too sure if that's a mirror there.
The sequence of the flowers over lapping each other does not seem the same.

Agree with Sion though.
Definately backlit with a soft light.
But to get back the slightly under exposed details of front of flower, a reflector might be used.
Or if it was not enough, maybe another soft light with 3-4 stops less output was used?
:dunno:

- Bob

ya its not reflection.. hehehee cos it seems like there are 3 OOF flowers.

Hi yamcake,

The shot was taken under backlit condition, and my guess is either with a softbox as others had suggested, or backlit under a bright sky. You can try the following to get the exposure (using the pic you posted as an example):

(1) spot meter the lowest petal of the white flower. This reading will give the value of the petal exposing as mid tone.
(2) compensate the reading by +1 to +1.5ev. For e.g. if the reading is f/8 1/500s, use an exposure of f/8 1/250s (for +1ev). You can bracket the shot.
(3) if the background is more then +2ev from the reading taken from (1), it will be overexposed and turn out white. Take care not to over do it, otherwise the backlight will bleed into the petals (e.g. you can use a relfector to brighten the flowers to bring it closer to the backlight).

Hope that helps. Happy shooting. :)

hey u no... looking at that picture again... cudn't u say the flowers were made of a cloth-like material? it certainly looks real, but fakes these days look so real and maybe the material is translucent and with the techniques above u could get the same results? jus another one of them guesses... (Shrugs...)

pureflow said:
I believe that the rear flowers are PS.
1) softbox at the back.
2) a white board with a light bouncing to the back..

the exposure is done only with film if no photoshop is done.. cuz only film can handle backlit still well without flaring.
BTW, that pic was taken with a 50mm F/1.8, on a D30

Backlit with a soft light. Nice shots for the subject, but I find the backgroud flower a bit distracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.