How does DA21 compare to DA*16-50?

cromdeg

Aug 18, 2008
hi All, i'm in the fence between these two and would like to ask people who have owned both. How do IQ compare between these lenses?

Virtues of having Prime vs Zoom is out of the question. I'm also not concerned with DA21's distortion or DA*16-50 faster aperture. I'm more concerned with Colors and Contrast. I'm leaning towards DA21, but i'd like to know how it compares with DA*.

Sample image comparison would be very helpful. Thanks guys.

hi All, i'm in the fence between these two and would like to ask people who have owned both. How do IQ compare between these lenses?

Virtues of having Prime vs Zoom is out of the question. I'm also not concerned with DA21's distortion or DA*16-50 faster aperture. I'm more concerned with Colors and Contrast. I'm leaning towards DA21, but i'd like to know how it compares with DA*.

Sample image comparison would be very helpful. Thanks guys.

Have you check these out?

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-21mm-F3.2-Limited-Lens.html
&
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-Star-16-50mm-F2.8-SDM-Zoom-Lens.html

thanks for the links.. yes i have been through these reviews... now i'm looking more into direct comparisons of the two... perhaps some opinion from those who have owned both lens and let go of one for the other for whatever reason.

i did not have the Da 21 yet so cant comment much.. but for DA* 16-50 if the SDM is working fine.. its really a good lens... i can place the lens with hood very close to object and still can focus... focusing not as fast as FA 31 but i find its still ok.. waiting for the DA * 55 to test the focus speed because had heard its not that fantastic... but need to try then know....

IQ wise i find it quite good =) as to me personally

Never shot with the DA 21 before so I can't give a comparison, but the DA* is susceptible to flare and is a bit soft at f2.8. Sharpness, color and contrast are all great when stopped down a little.

But honestly I feel the small optical difference is dwarfed by the large difference in size as well as flexibility as well as cost between the two lens.

Thanks for the reply. Ya, the size/weight is the biggest consideration for me.. I just want to check that it compares well with the DA*16-50.
So it's DA21 for me... now just have to wait for a good deal... thanks.