Status
Not open for further replies.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

jut like to hear from you:

how do you use your tripod?

1. stand in the space between 2 of the legs of the tripod.

2. straddle your legs over one leg of the tripod.

for myself,

when i need the reach, i would push 2 of the legs in line with the barrier to get as close to the subject as possible and thus got to straddle my legs over one of the tripod leg.

if reach is not an issue, i would stand in the space between the 2 legs of the tripod... much more confortable this way.....

rule of thumb, for max stability,

1) extend the upper section (ie bigger diameter) of the leg 1st
2) extend the centre column as the last resort to increase the height
3) place 1 legs pointing the same direction as the lens

i stated again, as rule of thumb.

erictan8888 said:
for myself,

when i need the reach, i would push 2 of the legs in line with the barrier to get as close to the subject as possible and thus got to straddle my legs over one of the tripod leg.

if reach is not an issue, i would stand in the space between the 2 legs of the tripod... much more confortable this way.....

Personally in recent years, I prefer to shot with 2 tripod legs in the front ( in the direction of my lens' view) while I straddle the single leg. The least important reason is I tend to knock either legs if I had the two legs positioned to my rear of my camera direction. For one, I tend to keep my legs relatively to the same width as my shoulder for stability and if I move too much to my sides, my feet knocks into either tripod legs.

The main reason why I prefer the single leg between my stance is if I want to make slight adjustment to the tripod's forward and backward tilt ( sometime you need to do this if you reached the limit of your tripod's angle like tilting back to show something high up at an angle. It is easier toadjust one leg then two legs of the tripod.

Also as I tend to lean against the back of my camera when shooting with the tripod, I something exert abit more force on the front portion of the tripod which would translate into forces pressing down on the tripod legs in the forward position. So with two legs in front instead of a single leg, the two legs takes my weight better and not give way and start to lower itself as you lean into the shot. I use a 3 way screw lock tripod head which I would tighten just enough that they is some resistance to movement but will still "give" when I move it about while holding the camera body that is fix to my tripod. This give me a more stable platform to shoot "freely" but it does exert some weight onto the tripod legs so...two legs towards the fronts works better for me in that sense.

i prefer to sit down and prop my arms on my legs..... wat is tripod??? hahahaha

jokes.... ok most of the time i am lazy to bring it out...but when i do...stand in between 2 legs lo....

Status
Not open for further replies.